Will i beat it? [Fishing on weekdays?]

• YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Hey
      I allready introduced myself here and my next step is starting a blog.
      I think it will be good for my own personal motivation, to monitor my progress, to stay involved in learning and offcourse to hopefully get some helpfull feedback of you guys!

GOALS;
      [X] - Maintain Silverstar status at Pokerstars.
      [X] - Keep a cool head throughout an entire session
      [X] - 8-12 is good for me for now. Play 8-24 tables with the same results as 4 tables
      [ ] - Play 25.000 hands. [X] Play 10000 hands.
      [ ] - Obtain $100.- BR // Play 5NL in November [[Latest update on BR; 19sep - $65.02]]
      [X] - Remain Healthy, both Mental and Physical. Meaning; Dont let poker effect my everyday life.

I will be marking the lessons i learn with **, so if youre intrested in learning from my mistakes ; Ctrl+F **.

So here i am now, at the start of my blog. I have a BR of little over 20$ which according to the Bankroll article should still be enough for Shortstacking 2NL? ( If im mistaken please point this out to me )

This is what my leakbuster tells me;
      <(If the img does not display; http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/leakbuster.png/ )
      <(If img does not display; http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/leakbuster.png )
      Ive printed the Leakbuster Raise charts and am learning them by hart to increase my PFR

And here is my graph for the hands ive tracked so far;
      <(If img does not display; http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/leakbuster.png )
      As you can see there are quite some LARGE losses. 550 and 1300 hand milestones were both major tilts.

** So Far i have learned that i shouldnt always raise my Toppairs for value as it results in the opposite; FOLD. I rather slowplay them waiting for a mistake from the opponent. If i have to fold due to a setflop then so be it.
      Also i have to be agressive in defending my hand against heavy draws.

So guys. Feel free to comment on anything i say. Im here to learn.

Happy Grinding!
  • 67 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      weeeeeeeeeelcome to our blog section Justin :) and run Gold!

[x] in before pleno :P

Ingrid
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Good luck
    • NathanDavidLee
      NathanDavidLee
      Bronze
      Good luck!

I have a temper too...my tilting is normally awful but it's getting better. I watched a video on this website where it suggested a 6min break for every 1 and a half hours.

Really worked well for me!
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Thanks guys!

Nice tip! i was personally planning on sessions of 2 hours tops. But thats because im used to playing games for 8 hours straight! (I know, sick)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey YabYayo,

[x] subscribed
      [x] ingi in b4 pleno ---> [x] standard :(

Will follow this reguarly, please don't give up when the going gets tough, I have a really good feeling about you and more than prepared to come in on a daily basis and help you out as much as possible.

How about posting some goals. Usually we do it with empty check boxes then at the end of the month we hope the boxes are full.

For example:

[ ] Play 40k hands
      [ ] Win at 1bb/100
      [ ] Go to gym 3 times a week
      [ ] Post 10 hands in the hand evaluation board
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Allright! Here i am, sunday afternoon. Havent been playing at all this weekend due probably the last weekend of sun in holland. I had some quality time with the girlfriend and prepared my boat for winterstorage.

I have a tiny session report of of friday night to share;

In this session there werent any losses on showdown at all so there isnt much to be learnt there, though here is a shot of my winnings;

I have to add that this session was at a 6max table. I wanted to give this a try. I searched the many tables looking for one where it wasent obviosly filled of Goldstar+ , and this got me a sweet result.

So basicly im having a shower now, and i'll do another session. What would be best for me? Stay FR or give SH a try?
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Fresh news.
      I Just played for 4 hours, which was way longer than i was planning on, but i was rolling well so i couldnt stop. I'll really have to work on that. It was very noticable that after 3 hours of play i started to make unneeded calls. I decided to call it a day at 1000 hands, and a decent profit. ( though at one point it was near dubble of what i ended up with )

You can see quite well were i started to lose it. It wasnt variance as i recognise my mistakes.

Here are my largest losses of the day, we can all agree that they are quite stupid.

And here are my winnings

At the end of this session my stats were showing 31/14. Is this normal for 6max?

** This session i've learnt its essential to always keep cool, losing cool is losing money. It was my own stupid mistake for playing twice as long as intended that resulted into loss.
      Also a re-reminder from my last session. If my CBET gets called, evaluate! Check any posible hands that could beat your current, and fold if you conclude its a too high risk.

@Pleno. I like the idea of setting goals, so i'll set some checkboxes up at the top of my blog.

To keep a discussion going here;
      Would you say 6max is my game? I noticed it works well for my game that the tables arent full of nits..
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Hey, regarding your stats, 31/14 can be considered too loose and too passive generally. You should start by never, ever limping into a pot, always open the action with a raise. Generally your VPIP should be 19-25% and your PFR should be relatively close to your VPIP stat :)
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Thanks for that! I´ll give that a go next session.

** Never limp behind, always enter the pot with a raise or not at all. (With some obvious exceptions offcourse)

In general, when are players advised to move to 6max tables? Is it for a certain playstyle, or 'higher/lower skill level' than FR?
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I'd say it's a higher skill level on SH tables as you get into a lot more marginal postflop situations than you do in FR, and at times will be stacking off much more lightly than you ever did in FR. But, on the plus side, because the skill level needed is greater, that means the edge between you and the fish is larger, which in turns means a more profitable (and fun!) game, despite being quite high variance :)

Also, just to clarify on the limping; sometimes overlimping (Limping behind when a player(s) have already limped into the pot) is acceptable in certain situations, for example, when you have 44 and 4 players have limped into the pot before you, this is an acceptable time to overlimp. What I was getting at is that you should never limp when you are the first to enter the pot :)
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers

Also, just to clarify on the limping; sometimes overlimping (Limping behind when a player(s) have already limped into the pot) is acceptable in certain situations, for example, when you have 44 and 4 players have limped into the pot before you, this is an acceptable time to overlimp. What I was getting at is that you should never limp when you are the first to enter the pot :)
      This i havent been doing at all, i always open with a 4bet. So i´m starting to wonder now what got my vpip/pfr so high..

I'm going to play a session now, see how things go. Lets hope i get payed off as much as i did yesterday.

How are the tables on weekdays compared to a sat/sunday? I can image them being allot tighter.
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      Gl in your goals!
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      TILTPROTECTION!

I'm finishing this session after just 100 hands, i noticed that there are allot of tight players on. This in combination with my 2 bad losses in 100hands will likely make me tilt within a halfour so im taking a few hours break.

HOW? ;

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($3.24)
      MP ($2.74)
      CO ($1.51)
      Button ($2.05)
      SB ($1.64)
      Hero (BB) ($1)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, 3
      3 folds, Button bets $0.06, SB calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.18) 7, 3, 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, Button bets $0.12, SB calls $0.12, Hero raises $0.24, Button raises $0.68, 1 fold, Hero raises $0.70 (All-In), Button calls $0.14

Turn: ($2.18) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($2.18) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $2.18

He shows 9 9

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($3.20)
      BB ($0.91)
      Hero (UTG) ($1.11)
      MP ($2.51)
      Button ($3.73)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A, K
      Hero bets $0.08, 3 folds, BB calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.17) K, 9, 10 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.17) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.06, Hero raises $0.35, BB calls $0.29

River: ($0.87) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $0.87

He shows K 9

I Guess the second hand is just well played by my apponent but it annoys me so i need to get my mind off it. Back in a few hours!
    • Solidius
      Solidius
      Bronze
      At the last hand... Why you don't c-bet the flop and why you raise turn ? Also, it is better to play with full stack (2$).
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Solidius
      At the last hand... Why you don't c-bet the flop and why you raise turn ? Also, it is better to play with full stack (2$).
      I didnt cbet because i was assuming i had the best hand and i wanted to get some bluff value from him. I Had no clue he flopped a 2pair after calling my raise pre-flop.

Also, what if i would have raised the flop? I would have gotten a Call or a Reraise. Call meaning i would have lose more money betting the turn. Reraise probably leading to me pushing all in, thinking he has a lower kicker.

Or should i be folding if he reraises me?

edit; The reason i play shortstacked = http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/6376/

I will eventually play BSS but in times of learning i'd rather keep the losses of my mistakes low.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YabYayo
      Originally posted by Solidius
      I didnt cbet because i was assuming i had the best hand and i wanted to get some bluff value from him. I Had no clue he flopped a 2pair after calling my raise pre-flop.

Also, what if i would have raised the flop? I would have gotten a Call or a Reraise. Call meaning i would have lose more money betting the turn. Reraise probably leading to me pushing all in, thinking he has a lower kicker.

Or should i be folding if he reraises me?

edit; The reason i play shortstacked = http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/6376/

I will eventually play BSS but in times of learning i'd rather keep the losses of my mistakes low.
      You don't play shortstacked. Playing shortstack strategy requires you to buy in with 20bb, not 50bb. Plus if you read SSS articles, you play full ring, nor shorthanded tables. At most sites it is not possible to play SSS anymore, only at shallow tables. So if you want to play 6max, just go for 100bb.
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TiciBoy

You don't play shortstacked. Playing shortstack strategy requires you to buy in with 20bb, not 50bb. Plus if you read SSS articles, you play full ring, nor shorthanded tables. At most sites it is not possible to play SSS anymore, only at shallow tables. So if you want to play 6max, just go for 100bb.
      20 bb would be 0.40. I buyin with 40bb = 0.80 and in the hand i posted i probaby won a small hand before?
      Losing all in's wit 100BB hurts allot more, and i havent had a single hand yet where it would have been more profitable to have a100BBstack..

This hand needs a sidenote; BU was showing stats of a Maniac.

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO = ($3.10)
      BU = ($1.36)
      SB = ($1.98)
      BB (Hero) = ($1.33)
      MP2 = ($2.29)
      MP3 = ($1.27)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, T.
      MP2 raises to $0.06, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.06, BU calls $0.06, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BU calls $0.24.

Flop: ($0.73) 9, 6, T (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.03, BU calls $1.03.

Turn: ($2.79) 8 (2 players)

River: ($2.79) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.79.
      Results follow:

BU shows two pairs, tens and sixes(6 T).
      Hero shows a pair of tens(A T).

BU wins with two pairs, tens and sixes(6 T).

I'm assuming its HIS bad for calling a 0.30 raise with 6T?

Known players:
      CO = ($1.32)
      BU = ($2.71)
      SB = ($2.03)
      BB = ($1.18)
      MP2 (Hero) = ($0.87)
      MP3 = ($0.92)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T, T.
      Hero raises to $0.12, 3 folds, SB calls $0.11, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.26) 8, 5, 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.18, Hero raises to $0.75(All-In), SB calls $0.57.

Turn: ($1.76) 7 (2 players)

River: ($1.76) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.76.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of tens(T T).
      SB shows a straight, eight high(6 6).

SB wins with a straight, eight high(6 6).

Bronze

The obvious loss you see made me start to doubt my game so i ended the session soon after. Did i play wrong?

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $1.34
      CO:
      $2.12
      BU:
      $1.25
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $0.57
      MP2 (Hero):
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
      Hero raises to $0.04, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.18, Hero raises to $2.00, SB calls $1.80, BB calls $0.37.

Flop: ($4.57) J, 7, 8 (3 players)

Turn: ($4.57) 6 (3 players)

River: ($4.57) 3 (3 players)

Final Pot: $4.57.
      Results follow:

SB shows a pair of aces(A A).
      Hero shows high card ace(K A).
      BB shows a pair of fives(5 5).

SB wins with a pair of aces(A A).
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Im looking for a dare to complete this afternoon. An achievable goal that i will learn from. BR 18$. Anyone?