[NL2-NL10] nl2 - Strong Draw

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Was considering raising pre-flop, my hand is probably above cut-offs limping range. Seemed pretty marginal to me though so I decided to complete.

On flop & turn I was betting my flush draw & gut-shot straight.

Considered checking turn, but figured I'm best to bet as I'm likely calling a normal sized bet anyway.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.74
      BB:
      $1.97
      CO:
      $1.31

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , 6:diamond:
      4 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.06) 8:heart: , 5:diamond: , 4:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.04, BB calls $0.04, CO calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.18) 8:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, 2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.18
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Preflop: You can as well even isolate here but while CO has a smaller stack then completing is fine also.
      Postflop: Do you really think that the turn bet is a clever idea vs 2 opponents? I don't really like it. Any 8x might raise you, rather just Check it and hope to see a free card. It's just a freeplay pot ain't worth fighting over it.

Best regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Chances of both villians folding were pretty low I agree, but thats not a massive problem with fairly decent equity?

Would assume I have 12 pretty clean outs if I get called, excluding the Ace. With about 25% chance of hitting a big hand its not a massive problem to build up pot on turn, and the folds are a bonus?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      Chances of both villians folding were pretty low I agree, but thats not a massive problem with fairly decent equity?

Would assume I have 12 pretty clean outs if I get called, excluding the Ace. With about 25% chance of hitting a big hand its not a massive problem to build up pot on turn, and the folds are a bonus?
      What's your line if the opponent is raising you? :)
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Depends on the pot-odds he is giving me :P

Full houses are possible in theory, but most likley the range is 8x so I still have pretty much the same equity against this hand. In a way its nice because implied odds potentially improve if opponent isn't interested in folding trips.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      Depends on the pot-odds he is giving me :P

Full houses are possible in theory, but most likley the range is 8x so I still have pretty much the same equity against this hand. In a way its nice because implied odds potentially improve if opponent isn't interested in folding trips.
      Usually when I am talking about a raise then I am talking about a normal raise which ain't giving you any implied odds. :D
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Depends on who raises, with the implied odds, BB was pretty much full stacked and pot is pretty small still as its un-raised pre flop.

However, I agree its a fairly easy fold if the raise is big enough.

The argument that I can't bet incase I get raised is the same one that leads to passive play and missing value in other spots. Infact you could argue that I like my chances more against a raise here than with TPTK at times as I'm often way behind, but we still bet for value as weaker hands may call. (Clearly must be something wrong with that hypothetical).

Anyway, we should probably leave this here, I thought my bet was marginal at best at the time anyway so I don't really disagree with your arguments.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Guess you are too much result oriented. :)

Also why should you invest into a pot so much to win it while you only have like few cents in it?