playing vs. good players

• G1lius
      G1lius
      Bronze
      last night I was playing at a pretty good table. I should leave and get another table, since there are many fishy tables at 0.25/0.50, but something inside me wanted to continue. After a lot of hands I lost about 1 BB, so I'm properbly breaking even here...
      I didn't check on all the opponents, but there's one guy who I keep seeing back. He's 12 to 16-tabling about 6 to 8 hours a day.
      I recently moved up, so I'm 2-tabling atm.
      So I should be having an edge over this guy. He clearly has to have some standard moves where I could take advantage of. But on the other hand I've seen him do different things with similar hands.

Can I change something on my play to take advantage of that?
      Is there any other change I can make vs. good players?
      like c-betting on any flop seems less profitable, should I narrow my c-betting?
  • 7 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I recommend you to switch the table or to play him as you would any other TAG. If you play long enough with hi you might notice some weaknesses about him and then you can start exploiting it.
      But be aware even if he plays more tables this doesn't mean that he plays bad or worse than you.
      By playing so many hands he has a bigger knowledge of the game for sure so it will be hard for you to be +EV against him. I don't believe tht the effort is profitable enough for you (it's for nearly noone profitable).

But.... you can oberv hi about his preflop play and his flop play. Since he is playing many table he often is tighter than you.
      What you can do is to try to sit on the right hand side of him to steal his blinds more often when you are firstin.
      If he is raising I would be a bit tighter since he probably doesn't play the breakeven hands like K7o, K8o in the BU etc..

On the flop he might also fold to much so maing a continuation bet should be even more profitable. If he is raising you should give him some credit for it.

Do valueplays against him with strong hands and don't watch for balancing moves because he might not even remember it.

But be careful maybe he is able to play like a TAg with only 3- table so the above hints are pretty much worthless. Observ him and post hands (with reads how he played in previous situations if possible).
    • G1lius
      G1lius
      Bronze
      Well, that's what I thought at first to... must be a nit.

But that's not really the case, I've seen him bet on every street with A high, and reraise with draws. I've also seen him play draws check/calling, so he really mixes thing up, but it's really hard to believe that there's no strict system behind it with that many tables over such a long playing time (calculations of hours a day played come from all the rake-race bonusses at wich he seems to be catching money every time they hold it).

I check on him regular, the least amount of tables I've seen him play was 12.
      At the moment his stats on 353 hands are 27/14/3.7, wich is a really big AF playing that many tables imo.

If he's playing it's obv. very likely that I'm on a table with him, that's why I'm searching for an edge on him.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hmm weird player. I can't tell you more than the standard lines. I need to play him or to see some hands he played (with results). He seems to be pretty looose in calling preflop. This might be a chance to raise him. By the way we are talking about FullRing tables? Because that would be way to loose (vpip wise) and if it's ShortHanded then he is way to passive (pfr wise).
      How high is his WTS? If he has a high wts (wts>40) then valuebet him and don't bluff (except of continuationbets). If his WTS is low (wts<35) then play all your draws aggressive against him.

EDIT: Fixed. :)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Cirith means high wts > 40 and low <35 :P
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Whatever. Without the x I always do it the wrong way. ;)
    • G1lius
      G1lius
      Bronze
      Sorry, it's all 6-max.

WTS is 41.20
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Ok then raise him preflop when he limps looser than the 3-bet chart (silver) tells you and be tighter to 3-bet him when he is rasing than the 3-bet chart. You have a preflop edge against him.

Don't semi bluff him to much. Play your draws passive and play your made hands more aggressive. Make looser valuebets agat him on the river.

Against these are only rawinstructions and a bit more complex than the silver section teaches you but maybe it helps. :)

(Keep on asking, maybe post some hands in which you played against him or make a commentated video to give us a better view of the opponent.)