Which poker format offers the most profitable future?

Bronze
      I can't choose between NL SNGs, MTTs or cash games (Have played all of them for over a year and a half).

On one hand, SNGs are in my opinion the easiest to master, but I have heard that they are getting extremely tough nowadays from 24$+ and if it is true then it offers little career opportunities namely because there is little room for advancing to higher stakes.

MTTs seem to always attract some fish so this is something I might like, but then again, I might be wrong so I am clueless about this format's profitability and career opportunities.

Cash games might be the answer, but probably not fullring, right?
  • 10 replies
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Well, if there was an easy answer to such question, everyone would be playing just that format, don't you think?

It highly depends on what do you like and what you are capable of as each format differs in several key aspects.

As a sit & go player you will need to master mostly push/fold play and play a ridiculously huge number of tourneys, which many find exhausting and especially boring. You will have to be able to play 1-2 hours sessions, sometimes more of them in one day and, most importantly, handle short term swings, as +/- 10-20 buy-ins in one session is quite a standard. You will have to deal with tons of bad beats and setups and you may run under EV for eternity.

MTTs are without the doubt the most fun when in comes to tournament poker, but also the hardest in my opinion as your sessions may and will last 8+ hours and the possible swings are incredible. You will never have an idea at beginning of the month, whether you will end up being +400BI or -250BI and because the pay outs are SOOO top-heavy, just a few lost coin flips on final tables may cost you most of your potential profit in a certain month.

Cash games, on the other hand are most flexible, but also toughest to master. If there are plenty of fish and tables on your limits, you can basically play anytime you want to for any long you want to and take a break whenever you want. However, you have to be 100% focused every single hand you play as even the "tinyiest" piece of information or read can make an otherwise losing play incredibly profitable against a certain player.

This is just a very short summary of pros and cons of different formats, but I am pretty sure that you get the point I am trying to make.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      As someone who started in cash games I dont recommend starting in cash games. Micros are such a waste of time.

plo cg. mtts are where its at
    • Tominho89
      Tominho89
      Bronze
      MTTs
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      7-2 hi lo doubledraw
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      The one you're best at
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Most people agree MTTs are the best for building a bankroll, but at higherstakes cash can be best hourly, depends what your best at and what you enjoy. You should always pick the variant you enjoy most cause youl put more time into that.
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Targetme
      As someone who started in cash games I dont recommend starting in cash games. Micros are such a waste of time.

plo cg. mtts are where its at
      Yes, this might be a good piece of advice. For a total starter I would basically always recommend playing sit & gos as the lowest stakes have almost no regulars and it's the easiest way to build up a decent bankroll. Once you do that, you should decide what to do next.
      Bronze
      Why are micro cash games a waste of time?
      Are the higher limit SNGs even beatable?
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Why are micro cash games a waste of time?
      Because low stakes sit & go's offer much better hourly rate than micro cash and it is much easier to learn and especially apply basic push/fold strategy than basic cash game concepts.

Plus, micro cash games have ridicoulosly high rakes.
    • Aruniux
      Aruniux
      Bronze
      stars 180 man turbo are easy way to build BR