[NL2-NL10] Interesting hands and questions from 02/27 SSS Adv. Coaching

• xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      If you see a player who has +30% ats will you push with any Ace?

If you take a looka at the resteal chart you will only find hands there which have more than 50% equity against the ATS-Range. Against 30% ATS you should therefore resteal: A9o+, A8s+, KQo, KJs+, and 66+.
      In addition to restealing according to equity there is also the possibility to resteal according to fold equity. Just imagine a player steals with 25% but does only call his top 5% (TT+,AQs+,AQo+). Then we have 80% FE preflop which alone is often profitable:

4 BB stealraise and 16BB Stack: (NL200) BU vs BB

0.8*4BB - 0.2*16BB = 0

If we consider postflop winnings this is also possible with more than 16BB.

Which break even equity would we need against the calling range?

0.8*4BB + 0.2[20BB*Eq - 19BB*(1-Eq)] = 0

Amazing result: we need at least 8% Equity to resteal profitable -> we could do this with any 2.
      However if our opponent sees us doing this with trash he will adapt his calling range thus our EV decreases greatly. But this example illustrates how important FE can be for our resteal succes.

=> If you have the read that you will be called tight (your image is tight, you showed only strong hands so far, your opponent respects you ...) you can resteal looser. But since this is a very dynamic situation - meaning that the different variables can change very fast - I wouldn't loosen up too much. It's also important to change gears. If you get catched with a weak hand you will have to resteal tighter for a while and otherwise.

To answer the question: I would only resteal with any ace when I assume to be called with a tight range.

I got a nice sample hand from yesterday:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      BU:
      $37
      Hero:
      $37

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , 6:club:
      6 folds, BU raises to $7.00, SB folds, Hero raises to $37.00 (All-In), BU folds.

Final Pot: $45.00

BU is a SSSP from Germany. He will steal very aggressive against me since he also knows I'm playing SSS and will thus be very tight. If I resteal him now he will give me much more credit as If a bigstack would resteal. This results in a tighter calling range. Another point is that my opponent won't steal with accuratly the top 35% hands. I rather expect to play against random 35% out of all hands (if I steal against SSSPs I also don't take a look at my holdings since I'm sure I have the fold equity and If I get reraised I easily get out of the hand)

Our EV:

estimated calling range: 77+,A9s+,KQs,ATo+ => 75% FE

0.75*10$ + 0.25[40$*0.28 - 35$*0.72] = 4$ (minus rake = 3.16$)

Even though I estimated a loose calling range (without history) we still make profit even though the resteal chart would only recommend to resteal at least with A8o.
      So you see that its possible to get a bit looser when we have more FE.

Is it more profitable to rebuy to 20BB or to blind down and get looser then?

As I said in the coaching I can't proove which one is more profitable. Therefore one must compare a big smaplesize of both styles. I prefer to play without rebuy since it simplyfies many situations and greatly increases the playability of many trouble hands.
      More thoughts about not rebuying are mentioned in this post btw.

Summary and interesting hands from 01/09/2008 adv. SSS Coaching

Ive made the experience that I get floated alot if I try to steal from SB while the blinds are folding much more if I steal from BU/CO. What do you consider more important: The position advantage from BU or the face that less players have to fold from SB to make the steal successful? In other words to you steal looser from BU or SB and why?

Overall I think that I steal even looser from the SB than from the BU. However I distinguish between the different player types sitting in the BB.
      Against SSSPs or other tight-passive players I almost steal any2. The better and more aggressive my opponents get I will have to get tighter since exactly the problem you mentioned will happen frequently. Against very unpleasant opponents it is then possible that my SB-stealrange gets tighter than my BU-stealrange. In these situations I definitely consider my position disadvantage more important than the fact that there's only one player left. Sklansky pushes from the SB are on solution since a normal steal will often be not profitable.

If you still have further questions concerning yesterdays coaching feel free to ask!
  • 3 replies
    • IamPoZ
      IamPoZ
      Bronze
      I was giving a look @ this thread, sorry for updating such an old one.

I have some doubts about EV calculation.

0.75*7$ (why 7$?aren't blinds dead money anymore?)+ 0.25*[(37*2+1)*0.28-35] (I'd do this in another way but I don't think it makes a big difference)

EV=4$ in the end.

Correct me if I'm wrong thanks
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      thx, you're right. I'm sorry for the mistake.
      i've edited the formula in the post above.

however there will be rake if we get called and win. that's why we have to discount about 3$*0.28.
    • IamPoZ
      IamPoZ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xarry2
      thx, you're right. I'm sorry for the mistake.
      i've edited the formula in the post above.

however there will be rake if we get called and win. that's why we have to discount about 3$*0.28.
      yeah rake is the next step ;)

thank you xarry