would you teach your kids how to play poker?

• YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      hi guys!

i think i've seen this discussion in the other forums. but haven't bothered reading them as i want to have fresh ideas.

i want to write a speech about this for our toastmaster's club and want to get your insights, hehe =)

so, would you teach your kids how to play poker?

if not, if you think they're too young, how about teens?

no trollings please, hehehe
  • 12 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      definitely! if i had kids that is...

if they learned from a young age they would get the basics down very quickly and by the time they get to like 20 years old they will be awesome! "thank you for teaching me poker dad, here's some money" :D
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      My father told me how to play 5 card draws when I was a kid. I had tons of fun. We were using cents as token and we could play for hours :)

I will def. teach my kid to play poker once he reach 6-7 years old.

Bad parenting? Maybe. But my kid will be smart enough to make his own choice in life and with a dad like me I am sure he will do the good ones :f_cool: :f_cool:
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Don't have kids but when I was a kid I loved playing cards, mostly 500 but anything really. I don't see the harm in it, it's just a game after all.

Plus once they get a job you should be able to win quite a bit of their money off them
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      other than the potential of earning money, what attitudes do you think could a kid learn from playing poker? remember, he's just a kid.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YinYangS
      other than the potential of earning money, what attitudes do you think could a kid learn from playing poker? remember, he's just a kid.
      Playing poker is fun!

It's the bluffing, the fun of catching a hand, the social aspect of it......Of course when money comes in line it's even more fun but for a kid it can be fun.

Also, why would there be so many people playing playmoney online if it was only about money?
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      I will teach my son to play poker. The focus, however, is not $$$. The focus is fun, just any other card game like fish or war.

I will teach him like I was taught...

- age does not matter, however, he does need to have enough brainpower to remember the hand rankings, so he can't be too young
      - he has to be interested
      - 5 card draw
      - limit for beans
      - take out all cards 2-7 out of the deck

I was very happy to play like this for a long time. It wasn't until I was in my late 20s that I even thought about playing poker for real money.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      I will certainly be teaching my kids (and their cousins). It's a great game to teach them - it improves social, math, and memory skills.

I think it is also important to teach them about the value of money at an early age (not to be confused with valuing money), and being responsible with it (i.e. BRM for life!!!)

It's also a great way to spend time with our youth to form those important family bonds. It also lets them learn a great game in the safety of your home where you can ensure they understand it is just a game.
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      On his 1st birthday my kid will get a poker account with a nl2 bankroll.
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Dunno, goverment could remove age restriction :f_biggrin:
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Definitely! Who wouldn't want to teach their children money management, people skills, maths, thinking ahead, pattern recognition, observation and who knows what else!

Not to mention that you'd be spending time with them and having fun
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      I would certainly teach my kids to play poker.

I think the potential upside is just huge. You can sow the seeds for so many different life skills and give your child a really solid baseline.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Your kid will also be a millionaire by age 21. Nice! :D