Torrenting from an ethical point of view

• akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

I was wondering what you guys think about torrenting. I'm sure many of you have tried it, it has it's ups and it has it's downs.
      What do you think, is it good that you can download stuff for free? Don't be mistaken, it is not illegal in most countries thanks to a clever bend in the law... Whatever, I really don't want to discuss it from a legal point of view.
      So, is it unethical and it makes musicians'/filmmakers'/etc's lifes harder and we shold go buy stuff in the shop, or is it good that stuff flows freely on the internet?

p.s. don't get me wrong I def don't want to "induce" anyone to use torrents, I just want to hear some opinions.

Cheers,
      akrammon
  • 13 replies
    • michellecip
      michellecip
      Bronze
      Why pay for something that you can get for free ?! I'n not more catholic than the Pope ! :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:
    • otcmarketalerts
      otcmarketalerts
      Basic
      Now most are prefer like this
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Torrent is my god :D
      About illegal issue. You can not blame the person who download them.
      The industry must change in response to current trend. You can not expect a person from a third country to buy a software that's worth $3000. They need to maximize their profit by selling in a lot of quantity not on a high profit per unit basis. Or use commercial and make it a free product. Like a coke bottle with a pepsi commercial on it :D Also there's an issue on censorship this is why I use torrent. Art aren't supposed to be censored.

Originally posted by krammon
      Torrenting from an ethical point of view?
      Most of the corporation are sociopath anyway, why talk about it.
    • jasonforan
      jasonforan
      Bronze
      In my opinion its not unethical firstly your not actually stealing anything as stealing means taking something physically as opposed to a digital copy. Does it hurt artists and actors/actresses etc?Not by much anyway by the looks of it .They have enough to still live the life they do .And if you notice most of the people trying to prevent piracy are the big companies as opposed to the artists.Theres an actual website(http://pirateverbatim.com/) with the views of artists and actors on piracy some for some against etc. With that said I think torrents mostly effect small time artists and movie makers so i usually do buy work from up and coming artists to help support them.Id also buy movies and CDs that I feel are actually worth the money.In my opinion there arent too many out there though.Most Cds Id probably enjoy 3 or 4 tracks and the rest are just fillers.Same goes for movies most of them arent worth the money in my opinion.Most of my DVDs bought are boxsets of TV series.Just my 2 cents :s_biggrin:
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      It's definitely unethical in my opinion. However, to most people, it's unethical in the same way that littering, lying and jaywalking are unethical, in that they don't care. It is stealing, just stealing that has become incredibly popular today, because it's so easy, impersonal, and free of consequences. People will come up with all sorts of excuses, but it's unethical.

I of course assume that you are talking about torrenting copyrighted material, as opposed to the practice of torrenting itself.

Really, imo there are only two times that piracy is acceptable.

1) You can't get it legitimately: You live in some country where the book/game/movie isn't sold.

2) The material is legally available for free, and you're merely getting it in a method that's more convenient for you. Alternatively, you own a copy of the material, and have either lost it or want it in torrent form.

If those aren't the case, one should either pay for it, not consume the material at all, or accept that what they are doing is wrong. I don't expect people are gonna stop torrenting, but people should take responsibility for what they're doing, rather than make excuses to try and justify it to themselves.

Naturally, this is all just my opinion, and due to the controversy of this topic, I will not be returning to defend it. Take from it what you will.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      We should be more considerate of recording artists and acters in general.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      I don't care about downloading stuff from big corporations, it's just bad when you download music of artists that are just starting or download games that small companies did.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      It's definitely unethical in my opinion. However, to most people, it's unethical in the same way that littering, lying and jaywalking are unethical, in that they don't care. It is stealing, just stealing that has become incredibly popular today, because it's so easy, impersonal, and free of consequences. People will come up with all sorts of excuses, but it's unethical.

I of course assume that you are talking about torrenting copyrighted material, as opposed to the practice of torrenting itself.

Really, imo there are only two times that piracy is acceptable.

1) You can't get it legitimately: You live in some country where the book/game/movie isn't sold.

2) The material is legally available for free, and you're merely getting it in a method that's more convenient for you. Alternatively, you own a copy of the material, and have either lost it or want it in torrent form.

If those aren't the case, one should either pay for it, not consume the material at all, or accept that what they are doing is wrong. I don't expect people are gonna stop torrenting, but people should take responsibility for what they're doing, rather than make excuses to try and justify it to themselves.

Naturally, this is all just my opinion, and due to the controversy of this topic, I will not be returning to defend it. Take from it what you will.
      It's mostly stealing from the rich to give to the poor, it's not so unethical :)
    • michellecip
      michellecip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      It's mostly stealing from the rich to give to the poor, it's not so unethical :)
      torrenting = Robin Hood !!! :s_thumbsup:
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Wish we could download oil with torrent, bet the world will be in peace now :D
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      downloading few right now...great that its possible, but if you like something-then help producers and buy it.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BigOVERBET
      downloading few right now...great that its possible, but if you like something-then help producers and buy it.
      +1 to that!

Also +1 to Salivanth, except that I'd add a few things...

Firstly, I refuse to wait 2 years for the next CSI episode simply because I live 10k kilometers from the US. I don't care that it is illegal, how come some can watch and I can't?

Secondly, I refuse to listen to the amateur piece of shit many "professionals" dare call dubbing. When it comes to non-mainstream TV series or films, the dubbing (and not only the voices, the translation too!!) are ridiculous.
      A film or a TV series is a piece of art, and the voice acting is a part of that, that makes it a whole. So even if the dubbing is good, I almost always want to watch it in english. Which is easily possible if you buy a film on dvd, but not when it's in TV or when it comes to TV series.

Also, a slight offtopic: Subtitles are often so ridiculous, maaaaaaan I have a lot of DVDs (original ones), I'm a real movie addict, and thankfully I'm fluent in english but when I watch it with someone else I really get pissed off, especially knowing that there are dozens of top quality unofficial subtitles circulating on the internet.

Anyway,
      Torrenting is stealing. It's a new way of stealing. Saying "I wouldn't have bought it anyway so I don't hurt them is plain stupid imo.

Also, I still don't get why the TV-series makers don't make a habit of releasing them onto torrent legally. They could put in like 1 ad into each episode, noone would mind as this version would likely come hours before the ad-free version, not to mention that they could set up like a hundred high-speed seeds on low cost, making people rather choose the ad version, and it would only get to people who get episodes on torrent anyway... IMO there is a great business potential in p2p and it is shocking to see that they aren't taking an advantage of that.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Oh and though it is only loosely on topic, but there is a huge copyright fee (tax, maybe?) on both CDs and DVDs. You pay it even if you put family photos on it.

So if you burn every movie you download on a dvd, where's the problem? Seriously?