pea1984

• pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm Mike and I'm from the UK.

27 years old and a casual poker player on and off for a couple of years.
      Mostly played SnG's before now looking to try my hand at cash and this seems the perfect place to start.

I'm not great at these introduction's so will leave it here for now, if anyone's interested or wants to know more just ask.
  • 8 replies
    • pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

My motivation is that I play because I enjoy it. Thinking into the future it would be nice to be able to take some sort of income from my hobby.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are doing during your games? Are you playing while tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write as many as you think are affecting you.)

I can on occasion tilt and then play like a complete maniac loosing even more than I already did.
      I sometimes call a big bet on the river when im sure im beat but can't help but think, what if they don't have it. This usually results in me loosing even more than I have on the hand when I could/should have folded.
      Post flop play is not always good, I make bets/raises not always having thought about what I am trying to achieve by doing so.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is, and why does it work.)

To me tight-aggressive means to be looking to play strong starting hands and to play in position and looking to put pressure onto your opponent with betting and raising.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. And usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Hey Veriz, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Not had much time recently for anything poker related as just been too busy. I will definitely be taking your advice and setting up a stop loss, I know that as Im loosing i play worse and get even more tilted so from now on I plan to stop this from happening.
      Also when I finish a session I am going to spend some time evaluating my play as this is something iv never really done much of before, I have installed elephant to help me with this.

Anyway, to the homework.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands are to be played?)

I think this depends on who we are playing. If im in late position and I know the blinds are tight and folding easily I can start to steal with a wider range of hands.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play. ( Post your hand in the Handevaluation forums, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

nl5 QQ vs UTG1 raise + CO call

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo? ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab)

46.32% - used Equilab to calculate.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Also of course you are welcome for the comments, that's what for I am here. :)

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Ok so iv not had much time for poker again recently so tonight I decided to go back over all the basic articles to get me back in the right frame of mind. I still need to do more work on the mathematics of poker, I'm not great at working out the odds and that while playing so more time needed on that.
      Hopefully I will have some more time tomorrow so I can get on with Homework number 3 but for now, I'm off to bed.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good to have you back. :) When you have time just post the homework, I will be around.
    • pea1984
      pea1984
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Calculating the various equity of hands is still a weak point for me, but.
      Using Equilab KQs has 50.78% vs 33 49.22% pre flop
      After this flop it changes to KQs 26.46% vs 33 73.54%

Initally I thought it would be more than this but then I realised that because our opponent now has trips, any spade that pairs the board, while making us the flush would also give opponent the full house, so we lose some outs.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

If this was in real time I would call, it's only a min raise which gives us 4:1 to call, the odds of completing the flush are 4:1 so it'a a call.

However, this is where I sometimes struggle, 4:1 would be assuming all cards to complete the flush are clean outs. If our opponent has a set, possible with the BU just calling preflop, as in the example in question 1, any club which pairs the board could complete a FH for the BU. Now this leaves us with 7 outs and odds of 6:1
      Although, if he just has an overpair to the board 77/88/99/1010, all possibly a call preflop, we now have our overcards as extra outs, but can we count A :diamond: J :diamond: as outs with these completing possible diamond flush?

This is currently too much for me to think through in real time so I believe I would call thinking that I don't have the exact odds to draw for the flush but it's close and then I evaluate what happens when the river comes.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

nl5 - should I have played this differently?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.