BreadWarden
      Silver
      Known players:      
      Hero:
      $2.77
      BU:
      $1.56

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant.Base 0.99 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:club: , J:spade:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO folds, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) A:spade: , 7:heart: , 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.1, BU calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.39) 9:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, BU calls $0.24.

River: ($0.87) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.4, BU calls $0.40.

Final Pot: $1.67

Was that the right way to play top pair medium kicker against an unknown? The articles say big pots for big hands, but I didn't really see any other way to play it.
  • 4 replies
    • Aerox232
      Aerox232
      Bronze
      I think this is fine.
      only thing mybe bet little bigger on turn and river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello BreadWarden,

If you expect him being rather station-like opponent then sure why not even to go for 3barrel value here. Also I wouldn't bet much bigger since it will just scare away a lot weaker hands.

Although I might do a bit bigger on flop ~$0,12+.

Best regards.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello BreadWarden,

If you expect him being rather station-like opponent then sure why not even to go for 3barrel value here. Also I wouldn't bet much bigger since it will just scare away a lot weaker hands.

Although I might do a bit bigger on flop ~$0,12+.

Best regards.
      But we can only do this if we know the other player is station right? If he's unknown or a good player it's better to c/c turn, c/f river? Or b/f turn and c/f river?
      A c/c on the turn gives him a chance to float and to CBH with PPs or 7x to then value bet on the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      The problem with Check/Call is that we are practically turning our hand into bluff-catcher and sometimes he might even barrel twice and we make a mistake by that if we Check/Call turn & Check/Fold the river. Most likely I'd rather go for 2nd barrel for free showdown. So I wouldn't have such an option to go for hero-calls.

But obviously against specific opponents we may even go for Check/Call on turn to induce a lot of bluffs from floats and weaker PPs. But can we expect that from a unknown player? While Axx boards are the boards which people usually don't float that often.