blog

• fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Ok so things turned out the way they did and I now have 1 year of spare free time.

And recently I discovered the world of online poker.

Well, basically I don't know for how long this blog will last. Maybe I won't play that much at all.

But in a year time I could be getting quite some succes perhaps?
      But poker is dangerous and it could as well be a very dangerous trap for me to get stuck in.

But well.

The reason why I'm starting the blog is because I like it. I'm doing quite good recently on NL2 cash games and I just love it :P

But well. I've had another blog in the dutch section of the forum but well. That wasn't really serious. And I was already thinking about switching to the english forum (more people).

Basically what I like about poker is the challenge. And trying to get an edge on people.

I've got a bankroll at the moment of just over 50 dollars (43,- euro's). And so let's see where it will take me.

In the end though... I am ambitious about it. But it's not a real future. Compared to real jobs... this doesn't earn really anything. Even if I get really good... it's just best to get a real job (and study for it for like 4 or 5 years for that).

I also wonder if it's a fun life.
  • 21 replies
    • summermonkey
      summermonkey
      Bronze
      Refer to TwiceT's blog to think twice. =)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blog section and good luck :)
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Today:

Ok so I don't know what to say. Had extremely good hands and nice flops etc.
      Then I quit at 7 dollars up.

Started a thread here. And then just a second ago I started another session. Quickly stopped because well. I started making stupid calls and was definatly not in a good mindset.
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Today:

Might be boring with graphs but it is my progress lol and that's the only thing I care about.

Today didn't go very well. But it wasn't bad in the end either. Break even.

And yeah as you can see it were 2 stupid hands I should have folded. First one was a KK hand and second one AA. Very good hands. But well, I should know when to fold them as well (very drawy boards, flop all of one color etc etc).
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Ok so my mindset is improving (due to circumstances as I said, but well it isn't actually improving. More like... is getting back to normal again).

Graph however isn't good. Together with 2 attempts in 45man SnG's I've lost $1,10 in the SnG's and 3,79 in the cashgames today:

• fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Actually, I'm not feeling confident about my strategy either. So it's not really going that well.

Reason is that I'm not... owning the strategy. It's not my own strategy. I'm thinking way too fixed... and because I'm in rational mode... I don't trust on my gut instincts to fold on those type of hands that really bring my graphs down (as you might notice it's all depending on a couple of those decisive moments where I should have folded). I just catch myself thinking all the time... ok this is bad.

But I still call. I usually already know WAY before I'm actually in big trouble already that I'm probably going to lose this hand.

Only the problem is... is that I don't listen to myself.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fakethat
      Actually, I'm not feeling confident about my strategy either. So it's not really going that well.

Reason is that I'm not... owning the strategy. It's not my own strategy. I'm thinking way too fixed... and because I'm in rational mode... I don't trust on my gut instincts to fold on those type of hands that really bring my graphs down (as you might notice it's all depending on a couple of those decisive moments where I should have folded). I just catch myself thinking all the time... ok this is bad.

But I still call. I usually already know WAY before I'm actually in big trouble already that I'm probably going to lose this hand.

Only the problem is... is that I don't listen to myself.

Edit:
      So I'm planning to get back to a strategy that worked really good for me on the microlimits for some time (not even that long... so it might not be a "tested" strategy yet). Like a month ago or something like that I was winning big time like 5 or 7 dollars a day on 1000 hands or something. Wich is pretty big. And it was all pretty reliable. The strange thing was... I had stats of 12/6.

Anyway. I don't know yet what I'm going to do. But the goal is to get more comfortable with my strategy.
      Hey Fakethat,

If you are struggling at the minute, you may be interested to know we are currently running a NL Beginners Course that may well be of benefit to you :)

I have linked the information above if you feel it may be of use to you.

All the best and sorry for hi-jacking your blog :)

Keep up the good work, it's a long road ahead :D

Gary
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      I started it, thanks :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      I started it, thanks :)
      No need to thank me :)

I hope you enjoy the course and become very successful at the game :)

Gary
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Ok so today I went up around 12 dollars with something like 2300 hands. So a pretty good day. However my laptop has a problem, I spilled water over it.. and it got inside the keyboard of my laptop. Actually was stupid enough to not turn it over immediately and turn off the power inputs etc...

Don't know if that has caused any extra damage. But after a while at least it became obvious that my keyboard wasn't working properly anymore. A lot of the keys... seemingly connected with others (the right arrow is now a backspace, 2 is 2 but q as well and the actual backspace still works but doesn't go back "continually" if I press it for a longer time). After I noticed that I decided to pull out the power etc anyway and turn it upside down (screen flipped open so both screen and keyboard are facing down).

It was tea. Not lemonade or anything. Don't start whining about tea being lame etc lol.

I wonder if I can successfully install elephant on this PC.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze

It was tea. Not lemonade or anything. Don't start whining about tea being lame etc lol.

I :heart: tea! So much better than coffee! I cannot function without a cup of tea first thing in the morning.

So that's a big :f_thumbsup: from me :)

Gary
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Lol nice.

Ok so today I played without elephant on a different PC. And I compensate for the lack of stats by only playing 4 tables (instead of 8).

And today I'm up like $ 3,50 or something. But in maybe like 200 hands. Might play another session this evening.

And you know what? I think I'm going to post after each session instead of at the end of the day.
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Ok so hello :D

Past few days haven't posted. Did play however. Stupid though for me to say "I'll post after every session" and then post like 2 or 3 days later after the 3rd session.

Ok so I lost $5,20 in 2 sessions first. Didn't feel like posting them up perhaps.

When I began a session today I quickly lost like 4 dollars again. Then I began to tighten up and play more solid (aggressively). And got to around 1 dollar profit instead of a 4 dollar loss.

But I realised something. And that was that I was playing pretty much MSS with a full stack (100BB).

The reason why I did that when I started out was because I thought it might be extra profitable only if I would know when to fold my hand post flop. It just felt like extra profit when playing with 100BB instead of for example 40BB.

But I changed my mind today. I was getting called way too often when cbetting the flop just because the opponents got a lot of implied odds as well (at least in their opinion). They were just calling me down every cbet. Only if I made a second barrel they gave up. So the strategy of "knowing when to fold" didn't apply anymore because I didn't know what I was up against untill they called a second barrel as well.

Now I first started adjusting my stack size. I though well maybe 70BBs IS good. Then I searched for MSS again and found out that the MSS wasn't with 60BBs but was actually with just 40BBs!!!

Then I wondered, and thought. And in the end I made a decision to go play for 40BBs then.

Then after I made that decision I realized that in that case I might actually already be able to move up a limit. So I was playing BSS on NL2. But now I'm playing MSS on NL5. I was playing with $2 on NL2. And now I'm playing with $2 on NL5 lol.

And... I must say... I just played a couple of hands (446). And I'm up $4,17 (maybe a 100 hands were still from NL2). And now that I'm done with this session. I feel much more relaxed.

I'm also getting a lot more respect for my cbets. And now it feels like solid poker.

Edit:
      Oh and sorry for the TERRIBLE english in this post.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey mate,

Best of luck with MSS and prepare yourself for some heavy swings :) I played about 40k hands of MSS in the past and it was a very bumpy road to say the least.

Make sure you spend plenty of time learning the basic concepts before you hit the tables. We have some very good MSS Videos and it wouldn't be a bad idea to go check them out also :)

Keep blogging mate,

Gary
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Ok so I played a little.

And basically I'm not going to play BSS.

That's basically the only thing I can say about it. Because I just read the MSS articles... and I was wrong. I'm not playing as tight as the MSS. And basically I liked my strategy but not... my stacksize.

So I'll tweak. I realise I need to... make my stack a little bit bigger. And I'm thinking about $1 untill $1,20. So I'll start with $1,10. Go untill $1,30 (10BBs). For the minimum amount... I don't like to get really far below my buy-in amount. So I'll adjust it. For example if I take a margin of 10BBs it would mean the minimum for NL2 is $0,90. But somehow I want to make it $0,95. But I don't know how that will translate to like NL5 and other limits. So I'll just improvise along the way.

That means for NL2:
      minimum: $0,90 (I'll probably use $0,95 instead)
      buy-in: 1,10
      maximum: 1,30

And that means for NL5:
      minimum: $2,25 (I'll probably use $2,35)
      buy-in: $2,75
      maximum: $3,25

And NL10:
      minimum: $4,75
      buy-in: $5,50
      maximum: $6,50
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      BTW my session in wich I was tweaking was about break-even ($0,40 profit).

Yesterday I made 4,50$ with a mid stack but with looser play than the MSS.
      I adjusted today towards the strategy of the mid stack. Wich I didn't like.

And I then readjusted to a slightly bigger stack and keep my own style.
      And then I realised it probably meant that I was going to have to move back to NL2 again.

And with that in mind I realised well maybe it's just better to end this session.
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      Ok so.

I'm probably going to notch it up a little in how serious I am in this.

Read a lot of articles with a lot of discipline as well.

Looking for videos. Follow more coachings.

And especially look in to the math side of things wich apparently really seems to help.
    • fakethat
      fakethat
      Bronze
      I actually don't know why yet but well.

There's a lot of stuff going on in my personal life as well. And... well there had been.
      And basically... it has changed. And I have a feel like my personality is changing accordingly.

So it could be that I'm going to stop with poker in a few days when things clear up. Or maybe I'm going to get real serious. I don't know.