Restart of DE4DLY's Poker Career (Maybe)

• DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Hi, all.
      I started my poker career with the $50 kickstart from PokerStrategy just over a year ago.
      I played the micro-limits until I got the extra 100$ and was starting to show a steady (small) profit (Respect to the SHC and good articles).
      Then my life went pear shaped (not related to poker), spent a few months homeless in another town, then in a hostel.
      I kept reading the Sklansky and Malmuth though, invaluable.
      Finally I have found a place and I am on-line again.
      When things went downhill I cashed out all but left $50 in my PartyPoker bankroll so that I could start again, and I'm glad I did, so here I am back!
      A cautionary word though.
      On PartyPoker they take money from your account every month after 180 days inactivity, so be warned. This was unexpected for me (I know I should read the smalll print)
      Anyway, they had a $15 dollar restricted come-back-to-us type bonus and what with that and a few small wins I am up to about a $30 bankroll now, playing the .05-.10 limits on PartyPoker and we'll see how it goes.
      Maybe I will keep posting here any news or interesting stuff.

Thanks to the PokerStrategy site team and community for the start, looks like things have moved along nicely since I was gone.
      Hope I can be around more and post some success stories.
      DE4DLY. :)
  • 20 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Weclome back DE4DLY!

Good luck on rebuilding that bankroll :)

The Slansky book is very recommendable and I also really enjoyed reading it. Hope to see you moving up with all the information that should have greatly bettered your Pokerknowledge.

Hope to hear from you (hopefully about sucesses)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Hi DE4DLY,

Welcome back! Hope you can climb up quickly! Keep us informed.

Good luck!
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Thanks for the welcome back!

Well, since this my bankroll is down by $10.
      Also, I seem to be slowly bleeding chips generally - which with my bankroll I need to seriously stop doing.
      I have a good TAG and stick to the SHC, I think my main leak is simply not paying enough attention to the tables so I dont have enough information to make the most from the hands I am in.
      Also I spend too much time reading the forums while playing I think (I generally two-table because I have a very small screen - with pokerstrategy forums or articles in a strip of browser at the bottom)
      Anyway, difficult to tell for sure without tracking my hands. But one thing is for sure, I have a constant small leak so I should be paying a lot more attention to my game until it is fixed.
      Current bankroll: $27.73 - $10 = $17.73
      <edit - Make that $24.61 - $10 = $14.61. Gonna leave the tables alone for a day or so>
      DE4DLY
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      That's too bad. I wish you the best of luck though, tough story.
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      That's too bad. I wish you the best of luck though, tough story.
      Thanks, It isn't as bad as it reads, I am in the UK (not a bad place to have a tough year), so it could be a lot worse.
      As for my game, I loaded my Hand Histories into a copy of PokerTracker and It confirms I have a TAG (not certain from a sample of 1000 hands), also confirms I am slowly bleeding to death from a pretty consistant leak somewhere.
      Problem is, with my bankroll a downswing could wipe me out, so I need a little luck right now.
      As soon as I can afford it I am going to buy a copy of PokerTracker - It's use in spotting leaks in your game cannot be overstated - or maybe I will earn 2000 strategy points first..... :rolleyes:

I did not mean to overstate my bad luck.
      I am very lucky in some ways, I have a good woman who has stuck by me for 12 years <edit - 13 years (Yikes! sorry honey...)>, I am in good health, some of my friends are amazing people and I am registered at PokerStrategy.com ;) .
      Seriously, I find reading some of the other Blogs posted here very helpful and inspiring so thanks everyone.

DE4DLY

Current bankroll -- $14.85
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Well, hanging in there,

Had an encouraging start to a session today, my first hand at the table...

0.05/0.10 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , A:diamond:
      UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, BU folds, SB calls, Hero raises, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10.00 SB) 7:diamond: , 9:spade: , 9:heart: (5 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets, UTG+2 calls, CO folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows [ Ah, Ad ] a full house, Nines full of Aces
      UTG+2 shows [ 3h, 7h ] a full house, Nines full of Sevens
      Hero wins $0.95 USD with a full house, Nines full of Aces.

Didn't try any fancy moves. My BR at the time was something like $15.00, so I was happy. Played two tables for and hour or so and came away maybe $3.00 better off (30BB) Everyone likes a little luck now and again!
      All you people thinking "$3.00, So what?" -- It isnt the money, I try to always think in terms of %of my BR or #BB or % of pot, that way I tend not to tilt (as much) and also it makes the value meaningful to my current playing and game.
      So that's %20 more bankroll than I started with.
      A little good news Eh?
      DE4DLY
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Good attitude, hats off to ya.
      It's better than my attitude at least :D
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Become a good player first and the dollars will fly towards you, that's the attitude!

Good luck!
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Well, just made Silver Status, again.... Hopefully I will be able to stick at it and improve this time.
      My BR is $17.24, after maybe 3000 hands at FL 0.05/0.10 it is within $1.00 of when I started counting, 3000 hands ago. At least I haven't gone bust yet, but I was hoping to see maybe the beginnings of an upward trend.
      I am thinking it may be worth reading my hand histories text files, I will probably learn something and it may even be a beneficial experience to do it now, as I probably won't bother once I get PokerTracker, well I won't need to then.
      It would be nice to confirm my suspicion - that I am playing a little too tight after the flop, and compensating by occasional bouts of reckless looseness - with hard statistics.
      I think it more down to bad play than bad luck - I can usually feel that "Stop you Idiot!" feeling just before I play a few loosing hands.
      Hmmm... Will have to post more hands in the evaluation thread - I really appreciate the skills of the judges, much more useful and clear commentary than you find on some poker forums.
      Anyway, blah blah...
      This post is really about getting me away from the tables for a few minutes because I started to get that bad feeling. ;)

Hello Everybody!
      DE4DLY.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I think it is much more useful to study (not read) the silver articles than it is to review your sessions. The silver articles are like the basics of proper fixed limit holdem (at least they were for me), and they should help you loads to improve your game!
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Well, I have been studying the silver articles and adjusting my game accordingly, and reviewing my old hands too see where the play could have been improved in the light of this information.
      Also I have been trying a bit of table selection using tips from the forums. I have been quite successful in finding tables with loose players but it is a bit of a rollercoaster and I have had to really discipline myself to stop from tilting. Its crazy, when you win you win big pots and then when you loose you loose to 55522 or have your KKQQ beaten by trip 8's (these are only two actual examples from my games, but there have been a lot more like it).
      Still, I think if I continue to stick to the SHC and refine my game by re-reading the silver articles things should just improve.
      Also I may leave the very loose tables alone until my bankroll improves - the swings are too big.
      At time of writing this my BR is at $17.14 (down a bit) after maybe 800 hands on fairly loose FL 0.05/0.10 (some would probably say VERY loose) tables, but the swings have nearly wiped me out a couple of times.
      Lets see how it goes.
      :)
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Well it is about 3000 hands played of FL 0.05/0.10 since my last post. Current BR $18.75.
      I have just had a 2 hour session where for the first time I felt on top of my game, I didn't have a run of luck or win much but I played the hands well and I know for a fact that there were at least 5 times where previously I would have lost a few BB chasing hands where this time I didn't and generally I played according to the benefit of experience and knowledge from reading the articles and forums instead of that lucky feeling I sometimes get which is unreliable.

... Also I am experimenting with rather long sentences.... :D

I hope that I can take this experience of having a disciplined session and remember the good feeling that comes from it, so that - win or lose - I will improve my game.
      I also hope that when I have crazy sessions that leave me feeling frustrated that I can remember that studying my game, reading the articles and forums and keeping control are good investments of effort.
      I am writing this to help me remember, and also to say, yet again, thanks to all in this community.
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Nice to hear you've noticed you are improving, just keep playing, reading, visit coachings etc... and you'll become an even better player ;) Good luck! Nice blog!
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Happy Easter! :)
      Current BR -- $22.39

I am hoping that I get a job soon as at my current rate of progress in poker I am never going to be more that a break-even player in the years I have left to me. ;)

Spring is already coming along nicely here in the UK, however, I have discovered that the most profitable poker by far is to be played overnight so I may not see much of it.....
      Well done on the Easter site theme guys! Sometimes those things can just be wrong ya know, but it works out good.
      Practical too in a well thought out kind of way.
      Now I am thinking too much.
      Anyway, HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE. Good luck on and off the tables!
      (No I am not drunk!)
      :D
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      soon as you've developed your game to a high level, your bankroll will increase exponentially.. so i wouldn't worry about breaking even... at least: you're beating the rake and earning the rakeback at this time!

happy easter :)
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      soon as you've developed your game to a high level, your bankroll will increase exponentially.. so i wouldn't worry about breaking even... at least: you're beating the rake and earning the rakeback at this time!

happy easter :)
      Current BR $26.33, Not exponential but very encouraging (Well, my game is not at a high level...yet ;) ).
      Just as long as I can stay stable during those times when luck deserts me.
      I think the tables have been a bit easier over the easter.
      I am going to take a couple of days off now, spend time with the missis and hopefully watch some stoxtrader FL videos that she has downloaded for me.
      Also I am looking forward to the fact that her place is heated :)
      I have been sitting playing poker in a hat and scarf and coat and fingerless gloves.
      I am sure it has been colder in my room than it has been outside... :rolleyes:

Greetings and good playing to everyone!
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      heh. if i need "cold", i'll just go play a tournament.

that said, it is summer here, so... :P .
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Current BR $22.95.
      The last 1000 hands or so have seen me lose over 50BB.
      I know that on the whole the losing streak has been mostly down to hands not hitting and just me getting out-drawn, however I also know that while there is not much I could have done to have made a profit over the last 1000 hands there is definitely a lot I could have done to minimize my losses.
      Anyway, what do I know? So I have posted a couple of hands that I am pretty sure sum up my bad play in the FL forum and we'll see.
      I am also pretty sure that the upswing I had over easter was mostly down to an increase in fish. So I definitely need to improve my game if I am going to even get to the next limit never mind stay there.
      Another thing I have seen from watching the coaching videos is that I have an enormous amount to learn when it comes to reading players. I never had that much difficulty in stud.
      Another day!

Something I read in another forum [Here] lead me to read up on Stu Ungar.
      What a talent! And what a life!
      You just never know what is around the corner, I am so glad that I gave up all the drugs I was doing and it seems that I would never go back, but you never know.
      Life can just hit you with something that you can't cope with and BanG!
      So that is why poker can be good for you if you get it right.
      It can help you to learn to cope with ups and downs and keep things in perspective for when life deals you a bum hand.
      If you get it right.
      If you get it wrong then it is just a series of repeating the same costly mistakes over and over.
      Also if you get it wrong it can lead you to forget that on the other side of every winner is a loser -- at least in poker. And they are people too.
      That helps me to feel better when I lose and to not get too unbalanced when I win - and it makes me want to improve my game. I dont want to bad-beat people, I want to out-play them.
      Anyway.... Blah blah... :)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      heh, not many of us envy stu ungar's life and eventual demise.

keep up the education man, the low limit FL is definitely beatable at all sites.