[NL2-NL10] Top set on dry board - Slowplay?

• Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG Player6 ($20.09)
      UTG+1 Player1 ($6.28)
      CO Player2 ($16.72)
      BTN Tosh5457 ($10)
      SB Player4 ($13.86)
      BB Player5 ($10)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Tosh5457 is BTN J:club: J:spade:
      3 folds, Tosh5457 raises to $0.40, 1 fold, Player5 raises to $1.20, Tosh5457 calls $0.80

Flop: 3:heart: 8:spade: J:diamond: ($2.45, 2 players)
      Player5 checks, Tosh5457 checks

Turn: 5:heart: ($2.45, 2 players)
      Player5 checks, Tosh5457 bets $1.90, Player5 folds

Final Pot: $4.35

Tosh5457 wins $4.23 (net +$1.13)

Player5 lost $1.20

Unknown player.

Preflop: See if I get a set, overpair, and call a cbet on Q high flops. Not sure about K or A high flops though.

Flop:I CBH on the flop to give him a chance to get a pair if he hasn't one. But if he has a lower PP the turn or river might scare him, and I might not get any money from him. And another problem is that I might not get his whole stack if he has an overpair playing like this.

As played, if he betted on the turn, should I raise him, or call and shove on the river? Or maybe minraise him on the turn? But I think that line is too strong, and an overpair might easily fold...
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Tosh5457,

Preflop: Most likely against blinds I wouldn't play it any differently vs unknown. 4betting is anyways way off play here since we practically just forcing a lot worse hands to fold and might at the best get a coinflip. Rather Call it and play postflop with the position even.
      Flop: There are 2 options, either he has some strong hand, maybe even set of 33/88 or overpairs which tries to trap. Or he just missed totally the flop. By in which case we are good to Check behind here, since we will get his stack on river anyways. Rather let him try to hit something, maybe a hand like AQ/AK and then get his stack. Obviously depending on the opponent we might even take stabs on flop if we have any early action with him and balance our lines.
      Turn: If he would bet the turn I don't like raising at all since you are just making a ll worse to fold. While we might even keep bluffs in the hand and of course if he has a hand then we will get his stack on river anyways. Also will have still a possibility that he hits with A or K or even Q and will stack-off. Overall, nice hand!

Best regards.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Flop: There are 2 options, either he has some strong hand, maybe even set of 33/88 or overpairs which tries to trap. Or he just missed totally the flop. By in which case we are good to Check behind here, since we will get his stack on river anyways. Rather let him try to hit something, maybe a hand like AQ/AK and then get his stack. Obviously depending on the opponent we might even take stabs on flop if we have any early action with him and balance our lines.
      That's what I thought, I feel like a coach :megusta:
      :f_p:

Hmm and on another situation, what would you do if a A high flop came and he cbetted?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      You mean you would hit the J or you wouldn't hit the J?

Most like if it's just some Axx board I'd be inclined to just fold my hand. The problem is that he will have a lot of Ax hands in his 3bet range and even mainly they will consist of them. So only hope is for us is that he has something like QQ/KK. But even them we can't be sure that he is giving it up on turn, therefore I wouldn't like that much the floating.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      You mean you would hit the J or you wouldn't hit the J?

Most like if it's just some Axx board I'd be inclined to just fold my hand. The problem is that he will have a lot of Ax hands in his 3bet range and even mainly they will consist of them. So only hope is for us is that he has something like QQ/KK. But even them we can't be sure that he is giving it up on turn, therefore I wouldn't like that much the floating.
      I meant without the J, thanks :f_thumbsup:
    • oracle1785
      oracle1785
      Bronze
      a question about the preflop: when i 3bet with my JJ , and i get a 4bet from my oppontents is also correct thinking about a fold??? because i think that player do a 4bet with best hand like QQ+, AK and in the good case we are on a coinflip. thanks
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by oracle1785
      a question about the preflop: when i 3bet with my JJ , and i get a 4bet from my oppontents is also correct thinking about a fold??? because i think that player do a 4bet with best hand like QQ+, AK and in the good case we are on a coinflip. thanks
      Why do you 3bet in first place then if you don't plan to do it for value? :) Not a huge fan of turning my JJ into bluff, rather just Call then. But of course there might be even some spots where we might consider folding our JJ and turn them into bluff.