[NL2-NL10] NL4 88 preflop blind on blind

• Chromehead
      Chromehead
      Bronze
      Ongame Network $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 1431406
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG+2: $1.14
      MP1: $2.94
      MP2: $4.02
      CO: $4.22
      BTN: $2.08
      Hero (SB): $3.96
      BB: $10.75
      UTG: $1.89
      UTG+1: $5.44

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is SB with 8 :club: 8 :heart:
      7 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BB checks

Flop: ($0.08) 6 :diamond: A :club: 6 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, BB folds

My question is should I have raised from this position.I was new to the table and had no read on the BB, but he has the largest stack at the table which is a max buy in of 100 blinds, so I've got to think he's a fairly accomplished player to have accumulated 250+ blinds.just making up the big blind seems weak here with 88, and with such a big stack to play against if I hit on the flop I have can get full value out of the whole 99 blinds I have, so is a raise 4x worth the risk preflop? Also I would have initiative for a cbet against the BB random card holding, or a larger raise if my 88 hit.

As it played out the BB checked so I figured he had a weak holding, and when an A66 rainbow came on the flop I figured I was was vulnerable to any weak ace, or 6, but not suited connectors,or overpairs (I think he would have raised preflop), So I raised and he folded.
  • 8 replies
    • Aerox232
      Aerox232
      Bronze
      Bet preflop.

And why you over bet pot on flop?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Chromehead,

Preflop: Raise it preflop. :) Don't complete! You may take down it right here.

As played
      Postflop: Never-ever over-bet it. Not worth! You are just wasting money here. If he has a made hand he is never gonna fold either to over-bet or smaller bet. Your smaller bet will achieve the same.

Best regards.
    • Chromehead
      Chromehead
      Bronze
      Thanks for that Aerox232 and veriz.
      Once I bet , say $0.16 , if he 3bets me, does it depend how much his bet is wether I call?

to $0.48... I fold as its more than 1/20th my remaining stack to call $3.80/$0.32= 11.87 ?
      to $0.32.... I call as its less than 1/20th my remaining stack to call $3.80/16= 23.75?

The thing is, if his bet size depends on his aggression not his cards should I make a call anyway?
    • Chromehead
      Chromehead
      Bronze
      I see your point about postflop.I don't know what I was thinking here, possibly representing the ace, but if he has an ace or 6 he is defianately got me and I would find it hard to get away from.

Am I right about the 3 bet situation above?
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      You can consider calling slightly looser (than call20) if you would happily continue on the right flop unimproved (say, 9 high). Consider carefully though, as you are OOP, and that sucks.

If you are only continuing when you hit a set here, you must have call20, and if you think the villain is restealing fairly wide but you still wont continue without a set - fold. You wont get paid when you hit because the wider the villain resteals the more often the villain has nothing to pay you with, and you are still OOP, which still sucks.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      In 3bet pots you can use the rule of Call15 if you expect the opponent having rather stronger hand and not just playing back against you with loose range.
    • Chromehead
      Chromehead
      Bronze
      So with a call15 set mining strategy do I want him to have a better hand? Then I only go on if I hit the trips?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Chromehead
      So with a call15 set mining strategy do I want him to have a better hand? Then I only go on if I hit the trips?
      Yes, most likely we rather prefer the opponent to have stronger hand. From which we can expect to get value if we do hit. But on those limits usually the case that they are doing the 3bets for value.