[NL2-NL10] NL10 78s from BB vs SB

• kinkink220
      kinkink220
      Bronze
      Opponent is small stack 22/20 with steal of 62 for 150 hands. Was the preflop call OK or I should do something else in this case?

On the flop I'm expecting his holding to be weak and don't want to scare him off the hand, but decided to play for an all in when the board got more dangerous.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $3.00
      BU:
      $11.63
      SB:
      $3.05
      BB (Hero):
      $29.74
      MP2:
      $10.05
      MP3:
      $6.88

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 8.
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.6) Q, 7, 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $0.70, SB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($2) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.30, SB raises to $2.05, Hero calls $0.75.

River: ($6.1) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $6.1.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, eights and sevens(7c 8c).
      SB shows a straight, queen high(Th 9s).

SB wins with a straight, queen high(Th 9s).
  • 2 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Generally speaking it is better to attack loose stealers than it is to passively defend against them. You give up initiative and are likely folding to cbets in the 66% of hands you miss the flop with. If they start 4-bet stealing, tighten your resteal range to hands you are happy to go broke with and jam it to the 4bet. Ultimately the fold equity is on your side, as you will put HIM to a decision to call for stacks or fold.

If you aren't comfortable with playing back at really loose, strong stealers (who 4bet wide in blind wars) - be it because of the variance or just not wanting to play that aggressive - leave that table. A player in NL10 who 4bet steals strongly is a rarity, and most poker rooms will have plenty of other tables you could play at without having to deal with a vicious blind thief.

Vs this guy if he folds a lot to 3 bets I will resteal with nearly my entire ORL range (~30) and take the profits then leave if he starts 4betting, because I don't personally enjoy the variance involved in defending yourself against that player, and there are dozens of other tables I could sit at and get a never-steals-blinds rock on your right instead.

As played postflop:

Flop: raise bigger - to around $1.40. You are playing bet-raise-jam here, as the villain's range includes going all-in with a lot of draws, qx hands, overpairs. Sometimes bigger two pairs, sometimes sets. You can't win them all.

To put it in perspective, your 40 cent raise was like betting 40 cents at a $1.20 pot (60c pot, his 30c + the already called 30c of your raise = $1.20). You would never do that, so don't raise like it either.

Turn: the turn card is somewhat ugly (56 made it and so did JT, and you gave him tolerable gutshot odds with that baby raise). We aren't getting away from two pair in any case. Instead of betting 2/3rds of his remaining money, bet the lot ($2.05). You aren't folding if he shoves over for 75 cents, so bet it all yourself.

The turn was an ugly situation generated by the poor raise on the flop.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello kinkink220,

Preflop: What's the reason even for Calling here? As you may see the guy has only 30BB you wont even make mid-pairs fold and also even if you hit your pair you will never know where you stand. He may easily have even better ones. Rather just fold it vs his stack.

As played
      Postflop: That's pretty horrible. Even if he has a weak hand there is no point to min-raise it. Rather raise it a bit bigger than give him perfect odds for drawing. But of course nothing much to add as you went for such a play. As you may see from the play that you ain't gonna play profitable your small SCs against such a guy who has a small stack who ain't even folding his GS (of course it's mainly because of your raise size as well).

Best regards.