[NL2-NL10] JTs 3bet SB - double barrel

• CheckBop
      Known players:

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:diamond: , T:diamond:
      2 folds, BU raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.49, BB folds, BU calls $0.34.

Flop: ($1.03) Q:heart: , 8:club: , 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, BU calls $0.55.

Turn: ($2.13) 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.22, BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.13

Pre-flop: 3bet or Call? I guess calling is good as we can pick alot of equity on the flop to make moves on, however I 3bet to gain initiative as I struggle to play without it OOP. Could you give any general advice towards 3betting out of the blinds? Which hands are best to 3bet, and which to just call? I struggle playing A9o-AJo in particular feeling that 3betting isolates me against domination hands when I get called but finding it hard to do anything but c/f a ton of flops when I just call. I lean towards 3betting but is it just best to just fold these from the blinds?

Flop: standard cbet

Turn: Give up or barrel? I just felt the board is so dry there is not a lot he can call me with. Only a Q and 99-JJ. With only J-high i think there is value by trying to fold out random peel hands such as Khigh Ahigh etc. Is it good to barrel he but then maybe give up if we have Kx or Ax or could they barrel as well?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello CheckBop,

Preflop: The problem is that you are against a station-like opponent. Therefore 3betting ain't gonna have much of affect on them. :) Also it's NL5, wouldn't do that many 3bets unless I know the opponent better. Plus of course Calling ain't gonna be a very good play either while he doesn't have a full stack. But of course it should be better than 3betting.

As played
      Postflop: I'd still Cbet a bit bigger ~$0,65 and as I get called then I'd rather give it up. We rarely will make him fold any pairs and not sure if any hand which he called on flop. You are practically not picking the opponent against you are doing the lines but rather just your cards which is actually a leak. Of course cards are important but opponents as well.

Best regards.