Graduate Micros

• lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      To graduate from NL2, NL5, NL10 and NL25 - Starting with a $50 bankroll and enthusiasm to play and study.

What do you think would be the total number of hands played from NL2 through NL25 and total hours of study?

How many hours of study, evaluation etc and hours of poker do you think would need to be done every day? (to graduate NL25 within a year of starting)

Fundamentally, as a player who has been playing for around 9 months, understands some fundamentals and is around break even over the last 10K hands. What would you suggest I do weekly to get from NL2 to NL50 in a year? You can mention hand evaluations, coaching, articles, forum, obviously hands played.

All help would be appreciated :)
  • 10 replies
    • Ectoz
      Ectoz
      Bronze
      these type of questions are seriously stupid.if you have to ask this then you're probably better off doing something else.

the concept of a methodical route to success in poker or any other complex activity is just incredibly stupid.that is what you ask for.a step-by-step route to beat the limits.that's inexistent,no one can tell you that.and setting goals like "from NL X to NL Y" is bad and won't help you at all.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      For the total number of hands played question, it varies from person to person. Also with the study hours question. It depends on how quickly you learn, and generally how smart you are. Anyone can do it, but people who learn quicker and put in the same amount of effort will do it significantly quicker than others.

You basically mentioned what you need to do, but the most important things ive found for someone is learning how to then performing evaluations of every single session played. Working on your mindset, reading books, reading various poker forums, watching videos, putting in serious volume, hand evaluations and then coachings seem to be my favourite ways of improving. Preparing before each coaching is good aswell, like making sure you are focused and preparing any questions you may want answered by the coaches.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      also not listening to poker related advice or anything else for that matter from bronze,silver,gold,platinum and even some diamond/coaches will improve also.

of course,if you know the bronze/silver/gold/platinum/diamond to be a consistent winner at your limit,sure,you can take his advice.

but they will mostly not know what they're talking about.

IMHO
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      IMHO... work on mindset above all else.

Then again, I haven't graduated yet!

?(
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision
      also not listening to poker related advice or anything else for that matter from bronze,silver,gold,platinum and even some diamond/coaches will improve also.

of course,if you know the bronze/silver/gold/platinum/diamond to be a consistent winner at your limit,sure,you can take his advice.

but they will mostly not know what they're talking about.

IMHO
      One of his questions asked was methods he could take to improve his game. I listed the methods that have for a fact improved my game substantially. Unless he plays 2NL 6max I am not a consistently winning player at his limit. I still think my input was valid and helped to answer his question.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ectoz
      setting goals like "from NL X to NL Y" is bad and won't help you at all.
      Firstly, I don't think it's a terrible plan to think of a specific goal.
      Secondly, that's why I'm writing this post to set goals towards time invested.

Cheers for everyone else helping :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Dont mean to nit pick, but micros is only NL2 - 10. Small stakes start at NL 25 up to NL 100.
    • donpax
      donpax
      Bronze
      I'm currently doing a quest regarding this. I started with 50$ at Party Poker. I'm using a 30 BRM before moving up.

Currently at NL10 SH with 410$. Would have been a bit near 500 if I didn't donk off some tourneys. I'm putting in about 3 hours a day.

Hands played: 12,626
      BB/100: 15.6 :)

I'm gonna update you on how it goes as I go along.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lynius
      Originally posted by Ectoz
      setting goals like "from NL X to NL Y" is bad and won't help you at all.
      Firstly, I don't think it's a terrible plan to think of a specific goal.
      Secondly, that's why I'm writing this post to set goals towards time invested.

Cheers for everyone else helping :)
      Dont worry about Ectoz, He is in "hate the forum mode "at the moment(it will pass with our love and support :f_love: )

Good luck with your conquest :)

Roo
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Don't think about when you will move up the limits, because if you fail it can affect you and you start to think you are bad and etc. You will move up, but if will happen on its own, and don't think about, like "Oh, he moved up limits in 10k hands. Pff I can do that". So when it doesn't happen you will feel like you have failed.
      What I suggest you to do is set goals for how much you will study and how many hands you will play in a day, because those are factors that you can affect, you can't affect the cards that will come, so don't dream about moving up fast.