Question about preflop raises and calls preflop in SH

• Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Facing a raise, do you usually call with AJo/s+, KJo/s against unknown players, in position? What about out of position?

And if you have a hand like ATo or KJo in UTG,do you always raise? How does that depend on the table? Would you raise it if there's a calling station in position against you?

And if you have a small PP in UTG/MP, what do you do?
  • 7 replies
    • wnbMG
      wnbMG
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      Facing a raise, do you usually call with AJo/s+, KJo/s against unknown players, in position? What about out of position?
      In position, yes. I usually fold KJ,AT and sometimes 3bet for value like AQ+,JJ+ against late position raise or if the player is a fish.
      And if you have a hand like ATo or KJo in UTG,do you always raise? How does that depend on the table? Would you raise it if there's a calling station in position against you?

Usually is ATo and KJs fold UTG. But if u have fish in the blinds u can open wider range.
      And if you have a small PP in UTG/MP, what do you do?

Normal raise. Maybe sometimes if u have a lot of passive loose players just limps and see a multiway flop.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Yeah, just don't ever, ever limp. You can't win a big pot if the money doesn't go in the middle. By limping it doesn't, and you want a lot of it there when you hit your set.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Also people are less inclined to go broke in an unraised pot without the nuts, so you could hit your set and not get paid at all / get beaten by a flopped straight or something
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bjela
      Yeah, just don't ever, ever limp. You can't win a big pot if the money doesn't go in the middle. By limping it doesn't, and you want a lot of it there when you hit your set.
      I don't agree, there are times when it's best to limp. If a fish limped earlier, and you know he won't fold to a cbet, I limp small PPs. Or if there are 2 or more limps before, and if I know I have low FE preflop and/or on the flop, I just limp with small PPs and SCs.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Wait, are we talking about FR or SH? In SH there's no way in hell limping is good, even overlimping, whereas in FR I might consider it, but still would go for a raise 99% of the time.

The thing is, if you limp with SC/PP, and hit your flush/straight/set, you wont be able to get value in an unraised pot. Also if you don't hit, and you raised PF, you'll still often be able to take down the pot with a c-bet.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bjela
      Wait, are we talking about FR or SH? In SH there's no way in hell limping is good, even overlimping, whereas in FR I might consider it, but still would go for a raise 99% of the time.

The thing is, if you limp with SC/PP, and hit your flush/straight/set, you wont be able to get value in an unraised pot. Also if you don't hit, and you raised PF, you'll still often be able to take down the pot with a c-bet.
      I dont agree with above red statements (I coloured it). As always, there is always exception in poker. As they say: "it depend" :)
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      limping is classified as the cardinal sin in SH poker. DONT do it.

on subject Utg if table is tight i would open raise KJ or A10.
      facing a raise im calling with AQs/o but im raising KJ or A10 if they are raising from any later than mp. UTG should have a tight range so calling anything weaker than AQ is a bit dubious but against a looser late pos range 3 betting KJ is fine for sure. you have two good blockers and he will fold most of the time.

For the record i pretty much permanently 3 bet kJ from the blinds vs cutoff and btn