Advice

• Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      I just recently started playing on Mansion poker, and i was looking for some advice.

I started playing the 0.10/0.15 NL and i've tried following the SSS strategy, but its a joke. The people on this network call with anything, and i lose almost 9/10 hands.

Should i just start playing only the very good hands from now on? i.e. Stop playing AQ/AJ/KQ ?

It doesn't seem to matter the size of the raise, i get callers with almost any cards, such as k10 Ax and yet i always seem to lose.

I know that's poker, so im just asking how i should adjust my strategy.
  • 14 replies
    • ancha666
      ancha666
      Bronze
      seems you didn't read a lot of poker literature...there are a lot of nice articles how to play SSS - and you know what...the articles are on this site :D

it's totally obvious that you lose with Axo, KQ,KT,itd - from most positions these are not playable cards..
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      Actually, i was saying people called me with those hands, not that i played them

edit: removed tilty comments.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi Sai7,

You're probably suffering a bit of a down at the moment which happens in SSS at times. Although 9/10 hands does sound a bit much. AQ/AJ/KQ are also easy folds from early position or after earlier raises- so make sure you are playing them only in the correct positions and at correct times. Also be sure that you are balancing your conti-bets correctly. Please also make usage of the Hand example forum for posting hands you are not sure about.

Additionally we have coachings on SSS several times a week and some good videos in the video section.

These should help give you confidence in the strategy.

Better luck at the tables :)
      SoyCD
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      Well i'm not to sure i'm playing incorrectly, really i think its they are.
      I mean today i went and lost an AA vs Q2 all in.. , a QQ vs 55 all in,
      and a trip 7 on the flop against a guy who called with a pair six who hit two runners.

So rather, i was thinking, do i have to change strategy for all these calling stations?
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      No, especially because in SSS most of the decision are made preflop so there is little you can do about those beats except live with them and try to understand that in the long run those people will pay you off, how hard it may be at the start to accept bad runs.
    • Lemonize
      Lemonize
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sai7
      Well i'm not to sure i'm playing incorrectly, really i think its they are.
      I mean today i went and lost an AA vs Q2 all in.. , a QQ vs 55 all in,
      and a trip 7 on the flop against a guy who called with a pair six who hit two runners.

So rather, i was thinking, do i have to change strategy for all these calling stations?
      Its sadly all part of the variance. For every situation that you lose while having 80% equity you will win another four of the same situation. So in general one could say "wow your lucky these people are putting in their money against you with such bad hands". In reality this doesn't help you a lot since you are still losing money but atleast you know your playing correctly.

You seem to be currently having a downswing. Simply continue playing solidly and sooner or later you will should start winning those situations and it will start going uphill.
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      I guess i'm a bit angry because it happened just as i started, which means the bankroll is just going down and down. I'd probably be able to handle it better if i had an upswing first, but to just keep going down right from the start is a bit discouraging.
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Hi Sai7,

I think you should take some rest. Meanwhile, read our articles, watch the videos and coaching, and don't forget to post some of your hands as well. That way you can improve your game the next time you'll play. Why don't let our members and judges help you find out your mistakes?

Good luck at the tables!
      -thunderbird56-
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sai7
      I guess i'm a bit angry because it happened just as i started, which means the bankroll is just going down and down. I'd probably be able to handle it better if i had an upswing first, but to just keep going down right from the start is a bit discouraging.
      Very understandable. I had a similar down when I started and it cost me nearly all of my motivation. What helped me a lot was watching the SSS videos and attending the coachings. I also posted a lot of hands in the example section where I found out that even though I thought I was playing perfectly - that I still had some leaks here and there.

The coachings and videos didnt only help in just making the game better - but more so in giving me self-confidence in that the strategy actually works.

So better luck for the future :)
      SoyCD
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the help guys, i'll try out those videos/coaching.
      I'll maybe post a few hands later, but i think i'm gonna take a break for a bit while i learn more.
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      Can someone tell me how to post hands from MansionPoker?
      Texas Grab'em is only for party poker i assume, because i couldn't get it to work.

One of the websites in the Sticky didn't work, one didnt support mansion, and i couldn't figure out how to work the third [neilwedhurst] .

Thanks,
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi Sai7,

The last one you mentioned requires you signing up at the site - but can convert the most formats. What problems were you having with it? I think it might be one of the few that converts Mansion hands.

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      Actually, looking closely, i'm not too sure it's the converters fault.

How do you get hand history for mansion poker?
      I clicked the 'prev hand' in the top right corner, and it takes me to a website with the info. But it doesn't represent me as "hero", nor does it show the cards that i start off with.
      So it shows up like this.

Poker Room skin
      Limit Holdem Ring game
      Limit: $0.15/$0.3
      10 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players)
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 raises, 2 folds, Button calls, 2 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: K A 5 (27.67SB, 3 players)
      UTG+2 checks, MP2 bets, Button folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: T (27.17BB, 2 players)
      UTG+2 checks, MP2 bets, UTG+2 folds.
      Uncalled bets: 16.67BB returned to MP2.

Results:
      Final pot: 27.17BB

So it doesn't really give much info.
    • Lemonize
      Lemonize
      Bronze
      There should be a bunch of options under the form into which you paste your hand history where you can select what options you want to have displayed.

You need to play around there a little bit till you find the format you want