Moving up to nl100

• dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      I've been playing mostly 0.25/0.50 for the past few months with a good showing and ive been trying to move to 0.5/1. Bankroll wise i have more than enough however its mentally where i have a problem. When i sit i get really nervous and end up getting really spewy with hands i shouldnt, its got to the stage where i end up tilting a few buyins, then move back to 0.25/0.50 where i feel safe. i think everyone is more aggressive and bluffing a lot more, they value bet a wide range and im lost most of the time.

has anyone got advice so that i overcome this?

ps this is not holdem, i want advice on how to deal with higher limits in general
  • 15 replies
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Hey dogma18,

If you're very comfortable grinding 0.25/0.50 I'd suggest you stay there for some more hands and gradually put in some 0.50/1 tables. Don't switch over all at once, just one table in your session, to get the hang of it more. The higher you get the more interesting the opponents become (although fishes can be found everywhere).

Just take it easy, there's no rush to get to higher limits, keep on playing what you're comfortable at and gradually add higher limit tables. That's the best advice I can give you as I am a microstakes newbie myself :)

Hope this helped a bit.

All the best,

NIVEKii
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi Dogma18

easier said than done but try to think of it in terms of BB. Or think it is play money. And fix yourself a very low stop loss to start. Play less tables to start. Or mix tables NL50 and NL100.

You might want to ask Jared Tendler in this thread as well:

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++

Best regards

Thazar
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      play one or two tables of NL100. imho ONE is best.

DO NOT,i repeat,DO NOT mix NL50 with NL100.
    • carexfish
      carexfish
      Bronze
      Don t play one limit but a range of limits :D I think that this is common practise
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision

thats stupid. your goal when moving up should be to keep playing you winning game. how are you gonna do it by only playing two tables, when you are used to play at least twelve? mixing is indeed good, it worked for me
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      You should game select your .50/1 games carefully, and try to play 1 or 2 tables of it to begin with. Add them into your usual session, so if you normally play 12 tables play 10 of .25/.50 and 2 of .50/1, gradually moving up until your exclusively playing .50/1. Thats what I do when trying out a new limit and it normally works well for me.
    • philiveyfan
      philiveyfan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dogma18
      I've been playing mostly 0.25/0.50 for the past few months with a good showing and ive been trying to move to 0.5/1. Bankroll wise i have more than enough however its mentally where i have a problem. When i sit i get really nervous and end up getting really spewy with hands i shouldnt, its got to the stage where i end up tilting a few buyins, then move back to 0.25/0.50 where i feel safe. i think everyone is more aggressive and bluffing a lot more, they value bet a wide range and im lost most of the time.

has anyone got advice so that i overcome this?

ps this is not holdem, i want advice on how to deal with higher limits in general

You know what man I kinda have the same issue as you so I will tell you how I dealt with it. I'm more of a 1. 2 player.. not cents dollars. I made a huge huge jump and played 5 dollars 10 dollars live games. I can say this much you value the money more when I'm playing 5 10 I'm playing super super tight.

Don't get nervous playing just get used to the raising and your buy ins and play your game. hopefully this helps.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      if you play at good times such as friday and saturday nights i recommend waiting till these times then looking for a single or maybe 2 good tables of 50c/$1 to mix in with your regular game to start with.
    • MonkeySam
      MonkeySam
      Bronze
      very nice advice regarding jared tendler videos, at his series, he recomends to
      forget the value of money , it is try to keep cool and go to the table with a high motivation. So, why just do not try to play just 1 table?, after you feel confortable, open a second one and so on.
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      I think my main problem is that at 50nl i buy in for $50 and this although is a nice amount of money isnt that significant ot me. However buying in for $100 i feel like i could use this money in so many different ways.

Had a look at jared's thread and have to say this guy knows his stuff
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      When betting and callin thinking about the values in terms of big blinds may helps rather than actual $$s.
    • erptech
      erptech
      Platinum
      Try to play only the fish, and only one table until you learn how to cope with the aggresion or whatever you feel is different than your current limit. Whenever you feel like you're losing control of the situation leave table, and analyse hands. Gradually add more tables.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vmarqui

thats stupid. your goal when moving up should be to keep playing you winning game. how are you gonna do it by only playing two tables, when you are used to play at least twelve? mixing is indeed good, it worked for me
      and how does playing only two tables prevent your winning game.and where does OP say he plays 12 tables?he sees moving to NL100 as a big step and is nervous about it,so i suggested only two tables to be 100% focused.if he is indeed less focused on 2,open more.

about the stupid part.no you.

i'm a bronzie,so you as a big bad platinum should care for starters like us.
      lashing out with "thats stupid" won't help me or us a lot,would it?instead of that,you could explain why i'm wrong and you're right,i don't mind a good explanation.
    • Ectoz
      Ectoz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vmarqui

and how does playing only two tables prevent your winning game.and where does OP say he plays 12 tables?he sees moving to NL100 as a big step and is nervous about it,so i suggested only two tables to be 100% focused.if he is indeed less focused on 2,open more.

about the stupid part.no you.

i'm a bronzie,so you as a big bad platinum should care for starters like us.
      lashing out with "thats stupid" won't help me or us a lot,would it?instead of that,you could explain why i'm wrong and you're right,i don't mind a good explanation.
      [edited by thazar]
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi Ectoz

There is no need to be insulting other members. I would appreciate you keeping a more friendly tone on the forums

I trust you understand

Best regards

Thazar