MP3 (2265 in chips)
      CO (2320 in chips)
      BU (4465 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to HERO [2 2]
      3 folds
      SB: raises 2225 to 2425 and is all-in
      HERO: calls 1775 and is all-in

Sb was very loose, playing 1.5-2 pots per round on avg, in an aggressive manner. However, I shouldn't have called here. The reasons I called were:

My calling range starts at 44+ according to icm, and I should loosen up because the sb raised over 80% in this spot.
      I overestimated the pot odds. This is a good call if you have to pay 7 for 9 for example, but 9 for 11 is just not good enough.
      I may have overestimated sb's looseness.

Overall, I can say I shouldn't call with such a marginal hand here, despite the fact that I'm not on the bubble yet, and a coinflip isn't the worse situation. However, it's better to wait for a better spot with FE or with a better hand, because there is plenty of time to make moves and the pot odds aren't that great.
  • 11 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      doesn't matter what hand he has... unless he's pushing with K2 as well, but still bad call xD
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      wow u suck nick
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      PokerStars Game : Tournament #79689170, $15+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level V

MP3 (2275 in chips)
      CO (1965 in chips)
      BU (3655 in chips)
      SB (4135 in chips)
      HERO(BB) (1470 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to HERO [Q K]
      MP3: folds
      CO: raises 150 to 300
      BU: calls 300
      SB: folds
      HERO: calls 150
      *** FLOP *** [5 3 T]
      HERO: bets 1170 and is all-in

This hand wasn't played right, and wasn't wrong either imo. I think it's good play, but that's matter of opinion i guess.

Preflop. I have KQo, pretty good hand, at this limit a miniraise usually means weakness (any king with a kicker, any ace, low pairs, qj). I get 1:5.5 pot odds. I don't think I have much FE, but have to call imo.

Flop: Now this is interesting. I have 2nd nutflushdraw, and 2 overcards. Im favourite against any pp (except aces), have some odds against a set, or 2 pair, and most important, I have good FE on this sick board. On the one hand, it's dry, on the other hand, it's monochrome, so dangerous. Odds of someone having hit here are quite small, and if I get a call, Im often in good shape still. I even have FE against AhX (the hand i dont want to call). I know I have FE because I saw him think a long time, or this was a coincidence, but I dont believe that. Anyway, a lower raise would commit me, and the good FE, plus good equity with a call, made me push this flop for +/- pot size. Discuss!
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      yeah i do this also.. easy. the call pre is marginal, i prefer shove
    • Milkmoo
      Milkmoo
      Bronze
      i dont like a shove pre flop either, because even against A2 your behind

as long as his minraise isn't aces than your a in a good shape, if it is, well than u can make a note and go an :)

but often his minraise will be a medium ace or a pp, so you will be a slight favourite. along with the FE this will be a good push as long as he has not AA or the ace of hearts
    • Milkmoo
      Milkmoo
      Bronze
      and btw,

thats the wiz range for your shove pre flop :

66+, AJ+, AT+
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Milkmoo
      i dont like a shove pre flop either, because even against A2 your behind
      A2's not calling you all the time. you're shoving KQ for fold equity

wiz assumes intelligence from the opponents. bad assumption, especially considering we have CO miniraising, and button flatcalling with a tiny effective stack
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      coaching hand 11-03

A little late, but here it is. As promised, the KQ hand with only 3 bb left.

PokerStars Game: Tournament $15+$1 Hold'em No Limit (200/400)

BU (7675 in chips)
      HERO(SB) (1355 in chips)
      BB (2605 in chips)
      CO (1865 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to HERO [Q K]
      CO: raises 400 to 800
      3 folds
      CO collected 1100 from pot

KQ again. It's turning out that it's an interesting holding. CO only has 4 bb left. He is obviously potcommited by miniraising. This actually makes the miniraise scarier in this situation. It's like in that movie, "the ring". It's scary because it's a small girl who is cursed. If it was a biker climbing out of that well, it wouldn't be scary at all.

Anyway. There is only a small chance I am ahead here, and I think it's unlikely for villain to have KJ or KT or an even smaller king here. Im often dominated here, or at least behind, to an Ax. The pot odds for a push are 1155 for 1955, which is pretty good, but then, if you'd considere the fact that bb still has to act behind me, and I can't get any FE here, I don't think pushing is the right play here. I can play the next round with 3bb left, and people can bust out against each other, or I can shove the next hand if it's top 40-50, so there is no need to hope for a flip here imo.

Discxuss...
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Something's wrong here, shouldn't the pot have been 1400 ??
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      no, 400 uncalled is returned

he wins 400 * 2 (his "call" + the big blind), + 200 (small blind) + 100 (antes) = 1100

i call in that spot btw:
      you're ahead lots of the time
      minraise is not actually that scary with these fish
      he probably doesn't understand that he's committing himself with the minraise (although he'll call a shove all the same)
      and even when you're behind, you're behind against a weak ace so much, which really turns out to be so close to a coinflip.

only big argument against my line IMO is that BB could overcall, but i don't think he's overcalling that wide (maybe 6%)
    • damaincontender
      damaincontender
      Bronze
      This actually makes the miniraise scarier in this situation. It's like in that movie, "the ring". It's scary because it's a small girl who is cursed. If it was a biker climbing out of that well, it wouldn't be scary at all.

lol niiiick...ur a classic