Heya!

• Metamorphis
      Metamorphis
      Bronze
      I was in a tournament over at pokerstars.com. It got a few server issues and me and another dude ended up chatting. Allthough i refrain from speaking about my tactics at ALL costs we did share a little bit of our own experiences as humble pokerplayers.

Since I consider myself to be pretty new to Texas Hold'Em even tho' I'm starting to get a grip of it (about a year on and off in freerolls etc.) I thought i should start to get a little bit more serious about it since I'm actually getting better.

However, the dude told me about this site and i decided to take the quiz and registered on Betfair.

The guide did give me a few helpful tips as I've basicly learned the game by my own until now. I've tried a range of tactics I've figured out on my own, never bought books and i never googled, I wanted to learn it the hard way. But, enough is enough and the guide confirmed alot of my own thoughts about tactics and I'm going to follow them for a while and see how well I progress.

Thanks alot for the helpful tips + a great site and sorry for the TL;DR Introduction thread. See ya'll around on the boards :)

Edit: Typos.
  • 5 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi Methamorphis,

Welcome to PokerStrategy :)

Wow, that is in unusual way to find out about us, but we are glad that you did :D

So, you've passed the quiz and are gonna play at Betfair, that is pretty cool. I have never played their myself but I know one of my friends (he actually introduced me to poker) used to play there and built up a nice roll there from scratch.

Do you just play MTTs or have you tried any other games?

You might be interested to know that we are running a Beginners Course for NL Holdem cash game players. This would be an excellent starting point for you as it is aimed at new players, to get them going in the right way and start printing those $$$

If you need any help or have any further questions don't be afraid to shout, we don't bite :D

All the best on your poker journey,

Gary
    • Metamorphis
      Metamorphis
      Bronze
      I will probably be lurking around for a little bit, try out the tactics and follow the guides until I have clear questions I'd like an answer to before I go on and ask with limited experience.

I have tried out 6, 9, 18, 90 and a few thousand people tournaments with mixed results (up to 1,50$ BI). I have only made the Hubbles freeroll once and made some cents on the weekly round 2. I have also tried to play NLHE & PL 1/2cent (most; 1/2$) on both 6 and 10 seat tables, also with mixed results. I don't want to make any deposits until I get a real grasp of what it is I'm actually doing.
      The type of tournament I've been doing it rather well on is Knock-Out tournaments as most peoples greed makes them do mistakes and I profit from that.

The difference from money tables and tournaments is really different and I have developed two different styles to play on both of them. However, since I'm going to focus on tournaments I try to refrain from playing on regular money tables atm. I really need to get a decent strategy that I can follow.
      I'm using the SNG handout PDF as a start and hopefully I'll get better with that. It has helped me alot from walking in obvious traps and doing mistakes and rather play consistent instead of playing ''bingo'' with cards that look awesome on pre-flop/flop. I've also tried to keep a count of how many times I would profit from it and how many times I would have lost. So far it has shown positive results.

I'm going to create a thread later on when I've practiced this a little bit more so I can progress further. It seems to be a really great community over at PokerStrategy as well so I think from here on out, with a steady mind, I'll improve.

Thanks alot for the offer and I will indeed post some questions. Keep up the great work! :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Ok Methamorphis,

I wish you the best of luck in your journey :)

You could always start your own blog in our blogging section too

All the best,
      Gary
    • bringmecards
      bringmecards
      Bronze
      best of luck at the tables and welcome
    • bringmecards
      bringmecards
      Bronze
      best of luck at the tables and welcome