ProlinePoker

• ProlinePoker
      ProlinePoker
      Bronze
      Hello all,

I was curious about this NL beginners course and as my NL cash has some leaks I decided to take a shot at this course. I've been playing poker for 2 years now, I was actually successful grinding an initial $50 bank to $1,5k, essentially grinding Rush poker on FTP. Then, BF happened, I'm glad I cashed out EVERYTHING I had then, I just left $50 on FTP and another $50 on Stars to grind. Again, playing Rush, I was able to turn those $50 into $300, then FTP was suspended.

Although I was able to be a winner in the NL2-NL10 span, I felt Rush was an easier game than "normal" tables, either because the player pool at FTP is softer, or just because I can naturally adjust to Rush itself. Now I'm at Stars, I was actually grinding the 45-man SnG but (just made a 20% ROI in 1k games, in August), however I need to focus on cash games for two motives: first, a session of SnG forces me to have a 2 to 3 hour schedule per session available to be online, while a cash game session can last 30 minutes only if that's the only time I can spare; second, after playing SnG for a while, I just hated the push-fold phase and I start missing the skillful postflop game involved in a cash game.

Anyways, I cashed out again my winnings from the 45 man SnGs and left another $50 at Stars to start grinding from NL2. I was already a winner at NL10 (mass tabling 16 tables, I can handle 20 but 24 is already too much) but I want to start from scratch and mainly, trying to plug some leaks, which I believe are many as I was never a winner at NL25. I don't mind doing NL2 again, since BF I think I really did the best thing in cashing out that 1,5k and spending it in a nice vacation, I'm confident it will be a matter of time before starting to climb up the limits again and, hopefully, this time I might be able to go as far as NL25 and be able to crush it.

When I was playing Rush I was playing the 6 max format, I actually love this game format, however, for the micro stakes, I will focus on FR because it's the format where I feel very comfortable playing up to 20 tables. SH games are so read-dependent that I can only play 2 rush tables or 4 standard tables. Right now, at the micros, I'll prefer to increase volume so I'll go for the FR format, which I also believe will be the main game of this course.

During those 2 years, some of my winnings were invested in poker resources, like HEM professional version, TableNinja and some cash game books, like "Harrington on Online Cash Games" and "Dynamic Full Ring Poker".

So, to summarize: I'm aware I have big leaks in my game, as I never won consistently at NL25, these leaks are the motive I'm taking this course; but, on the other hand, at least I think I have a strong mental game, I always played within the limits of my bankroll, I never played a higher limit that could hurt my bankroll (also, I don't tilt with bad beats, I accept them as part of the game).

Well, this was just an introduction that probably got bigger than I intended, anyways, let's get the course started...
  • 3 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hello ProlinePoker.

Welcome to the Beginners Course and thank you for that wonderful introduction :)

It is great to see that you've had previous success and I think it is a wise choice to enroll here also as there is always room for improvement in everybody's game.

Best of luck with the course and I am sure you will be moving up those limits in no time at all :)

All the best,

Gary
    • ProlinePoker
      ProlinePoker
      Bronze
      Here's my homework for lesson 1, a bit delayed but as you know I just joined this school recently...

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I see poker as a game of skill and therefore I see it as a challenge to improve in a game that does require a lot of skill. Of course I would love to rely a second income on poker, but that will only happen in higher stakes, right now, at the micros, I don't think much about money, I actually don't think about $, all I see is BBs (I even filter my HEM graphs to show BBs instead of $). I mean, the way I see it, if you lost a 100BBs pot, it doesn't matter whether you lost $2 at NL2 or $100 at NL100, what matters are the analytical thoughts on your mind (hopefully, a good decision, like having 80% equity) that lead to situation that ended up on you loosing a 100BB pot. Therefore, as a game of skill, my motivation is to get better at an analytical game as poker, although I don't hide that I'd love to have a nice second income in the future. But, first things first: I know I can only profit from the game once I better understand it.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Hand-reading is definitely a big leak I have, sometimes I fold the better hand because I can't accurately put a villain in a range, other times I get trapped but, most importantly, due to my lack on hand reading, I can't value bet enough my best hand. I find it hard to distinguish a situation where I have the best hand and should keep value-betting (even if villain shoves the river trying to bluff me out) from situations where I only have showdown value and therefore should only get a cheap showdown.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      From my perspective, a tight aggressive style is one that relies on playing few hands but, playing them aggressively when you hold them and by aggressively it means raising in the different streets instead of just calling down, which is important in order to protect your strong hands from scary boards, for example. Although a TAG approach probably misses some slight +EV spots, it's a good style to prevent difficult decisions, specially for beginner players.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Well, you can send your homework whenever you have time for it. :) There is no time limit anymore.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.