36 67 22 8
      BB: $6
      1.6 50 30 59
      20 100 33 19
      CO: $5
      3.0 67 18 160
      Hero: $5.72

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K :heart: , J :heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.43, SB folds, BB calls $0.38, CO folds.

Flop: ($1.03) K :club: , T :heart: , 6 :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.61, BB calls $0.61.

Turn: ($2.25) 4 :club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.25) J :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.85, Hero calls $0.85.

Final Pot: $3.95

This hand stumped me a little.

First off, pre flop although I said I want to keep aggressive and the initiative preflop by 3betting these types of hands, in hindsight in this case I prefer a call to play IP and entice the fishy BB (who ends up calling anyway) to call. (Mantra: Play as many hands vs. FISH as possible!)

Flop standard cbet. Turn my hand is fairly marginal, although I could reasonably value bet I'm not sure if I have 3 streets of value. For this reason I opt to check back and induce gutshots to bluff the river or to bet when he checks to me and have him call more of his Tx / pocket pairs which may fold to a turn bet. In a sense keeping his range wide as possible.

When the J hits the river giving me top two I was stuck between a call and raise. At the time my reasoning was pretty embarrassing, It was a speed table (curse speed tables) and as I was considering what hands he will call a raise with my timebank was running out so i though "calling is definitely +ev therefore I will 'bank' my ev and call, rather than risk a -ev raise". So weak I know!

In analysis I started to do some combinatrics calculations but struggled to get anywhere concrete (something to work on). The only hand I can see him calling a raise with that we beat is JT. He could have JJ, AQ (random flop peel?) although I would expect these to bet more on the river.

I think his range is so weak it is easy to get carried away and blindly raise the river but I think we just fold out all his better hands and rarely he will show up with a stronger hand and call or shove.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello CheckBop,

Well, if he is a station then he can easily even pay you on river. With hands like KQ/AK as well. Although it's definitely a pretty close spot, I don't even mind to take the passive line there. Plus of course we don't want to commit ourselves with our raise.

Best regards.