This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] KJ rivers two pair

• CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      Known players:
      vp$ip BBvsSteal ORL RaisePreflop
      Position: Stack
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      36 67 22 8
      BB: $6
      1.6 50 30 59
      20 100 33 19
      CO: $5
      3.0 67 18 160
      Hero: $5.72

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K :heart: , J :heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.43, SB folds, BB calls $0.38, CO folds.

Flop: ($1.03) K :club: , T :heart: , 6 :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.61, BB calls $0.61.

Turn: ($2.25) 4 :club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.25) J :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.85, Hero calls $0.85.

Final Pot: $3.95

This hand stumped me a little.

First off, pre flop although I said I want to keep aggressive and the initiative preflop by 3betting these types of hands, in hindsight in this case I prefer a call to play IP and entice the fishy BB (who ends up calling anyway) to call. (Mantra: Play as many hands vs. FISH as possible!)

Flop standard cbet. Turn my hand is fairly marginal, although I could reasonably value bet I'm not sure if I have 3 streets of value. For this reason I opt to check back and induce gutshots to bluff the river or to bet when he checks to me and have him call more of his Tx / pocket pairs which may fold to a turn bet. In a sense keeping his range wide as possible.

When the J hits the river giving me top two I was stuck between a call and raise. At the time my reasoning was pretty embarrassing, It was a speed table (curse speed tables) and as I was considering what hands he will call a raise with my timebank was running out so i though "calling is definitely +ev therefore I will 'bank' my ev and call, rather than risk a -ev raise". So weak I know!

In analysis I started to do some combinatrics calculations but struggled to get anywhere concrete (something to work on). The only hand I can see him calling a raise with that we beat is JT. He could have JJ, AQ (random flop peel?) although I would expect these to bet more on the river.

I think his range is so weak it is easy to get carried away and blindly raise the river but I think we just fold out all his better hands and rarely he will show up with a stronger hand and call or shove.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello CheckBop,

Well, if he is a station then he can easily even pay you on river. With hands like KQ/AK as well. Although it's definitely a pretty close spot, I don't even mind to take the passive line there. Plus of course we don't want to commit ourselves with our raise.

Best regards.