4 hours study, 1 hour play

• lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I typically tell those who want to take their poker seriously that they’ll need to spend about 20 percent of their time practicing. For every four hours they play, one hour should be spent working on your game away from the tables.
      That's from pokerstrategy's newest article Strategy: Away from the table

Considering it's at basic status, I'm guessing this is aimed as a general guide yet appropriate to beginners, but before I follow the advice, I have to ask the publics opinion on it.

What would you say is a good play : study ratio?

I mainly ask because I've heard 1:1 is ideal, this article says 4:1.

I'll also appreciate that everybody will have an individual optimum, but as a general, the ratio you'd recommend.

Thanks all :)
  • 15 replies
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I also got the title of the thread wrong...

4 hours play, 1 hour study

should bring in some more interest though...
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Until the basic theory is covered, more study. Have problem follow that myself. An example 90 min play 120 min analysis and theory. Just my fast 2c
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      i think is just a promotion thing with the article being basic, and I think that 4:1 is for advanced players like for midstakes to highstake

id say that 2:1 or 1.5:1 should be good.

that is my opinion
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      I've read about it somewhere, the answer was exactly what you need. Will look for it and come back when/if i find it :)
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      When I first joined pokerstrategy.com, I would review a couple of articles and the starting hand charts before every session. I would play for about an hour and then review my hand histories looking for interesting hands and posted many of them in the forums. I also read all the articles I could, watched a lot of videos and reviewed a lot of other peoples hands in the forums.

So I would say at the start that I was about 1:2 (play : study), but as I started to get a lot more comfortable the ratio probably became 3:1 (play : study).

I'm just starting back up again after taking a few months off, and I'd say I'm probably about 1:1 right now. (It's amazing how rusty I've become...)
    • Psderrr
      Psderrr
      Bronze
      Its kind of an extract from Leatherass's book he explains it better there.
      It's better to add little things to your game and evaluate after every session than make huge changes before you even see the dividents of your previous changes taking effect.
      So if you read 5 things trying to add them all to your game at one time it's just a disaster.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi Lynius

There are different types of learning and the time you spend at the tables is one of them and definitely the most important one. However you also need some theory as well and some examples. So reading articles, watching videos, attending coaching sessions etc are very important.

I personally find it very motivating to start the day with the study. Watching a video just before play motivates me a lot

Regards

Thazar
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      Hi Lynius

There are different types of learning and the time you spend at the tables is one of them and definitely the most important one. However you also need some theory as well and some examples. So reading articles, watching videos, attending coaching sessions etc are very important.

I personally find it very motivating to start the day with the study. Watching a video just before play motivates me a lot

Regards

Thazar
      Agreed!

I often watch a video before I even open up the Poker Client. I feel it gets the adrenaline running that extra bit more before I start my session and I always feel more confident too. I actually am more focused and play better by doing this :)

Gary
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      If i play 10 hour session, I study when i sleep...i see them beats, mistakes and big pots all over and over again :f_biggrin:
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Psderrr
      Its kind of an extract from Leatherass's book he explains it better there.
      It's better to add little things to your game and evaluate after every session than make huge changes before you even see the dividents of your previous changes taking effect.
      So if you read 5 things trying to add them all to your game at one time it's just a disaster.
      +1 Bang on old chap! (right expression islanders?)

@ Bigoverbet: Familiar with that. However I usually don't dream of hands actually played.
    • MonkeySam
      MonkeySam
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ramble
      When I first joined pokerstrategy.com, I would review a couple of articles and the starting hand charts before every session. I would play for about an hour and then review my hand histories looking for interesting hands and posted many of them in the forums. I also read all the articles I could, watched a lot of videos and reviewed a lot of other peoples hands in the forums.

So I would say at the start that I was about 1:2 (play : study), but as I started to get a lot more comfortable the ratio probably became 3:1 (play : study).

I'm just starting back up again after taking a few months off, and I'd say I'm probably about 1:1 right now. (It's amazing how rusty I've become...)
      Do you do all that activities immediately after the session? Or maybe just wait one or 2 hours later
    • Locito
      Locito
      Bronze
      hehe everybody here is so disciplined, I like playing way to much to spend more time on study than plan, on my best days I can get it to 1:1...

but on the other hand I never play more than 2 tables (SH) and pay quite attention to the tables (with a HUD) I think you learn more from that than multitabling blindly...

I sometimes watch the theory videos and play on 1 table...a little bit of both :D
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      There are many different opinions on this matter, as we've seen, Leatherass recommends spending 20% of time studying, however many other books state that once the basics have been mastered then there should be less study and more playtime, as no amount of study will get you ready for actual play if you don't practise and apply your newfound knowledge. For example, in The Poker Blueprint by Tri Nyugen and someone else who's name escapes me, he states that the 80:20 rule for play:study isn't as beneficial as playing more. I guess it's all up to your own preference :)
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MonkeySam
      Do you do all that activities immediately after the session? Or maybe just wait one or 2 hours later
      Before the session I would read a strategy article and review the SHC (starting hand charts). Usually immediately after the session I review the HH (hand history) in elephant and look for pots where I won or lost more than 5xBB's for a detailed review (usually only a few hands per SnG).

As for posting in the forums, watching videos, reading articles, looking at hand histories in more detail, etc... I usually do that as a separate activity when I don't know if I have the time to commit to playing an hour long SnG... For example, if I know I only have 30-45 minutes before I have to leave to go somewhere or someone is coming over, etc...
    • Yoshimitsu77
      Yoshimitsu77
      Bronze
      To avoid having to study i just play perfect poker :coolface: