[NL2-NL10] 2nl, fr, AK

• DrDunne
      Hi veriz, i've been trying to think a lot more recently about my postflop play and the consequences of what im doing. also why im doing things because i never really plan the hand out and really think things through. so i thought i would post this hand which is one that i wouldnt normally think to post but i have a couple of questions about it.

Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond: , K:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) A:heart: , 8:spade: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, BU folds.

Final Pot: $0.33

so preflop is fine, but postflop im not sure. yes it's a standard cbet for value against worse hands like flush and straight draws but the second he folded i started thinking. i justified my bet because i wanted to protect my hand against flush and straight draws but in doing so i feel like i might have sacrificed value. he called a pf raise so its unlikely he holds something like 75. so the only hand we are protecting against really is a FD. the problem is that i just always assume my opponents are on FD when the board is 2 cards to a flush and i find that i do this all the time and end up justifying protection type bets because of it.

so in the above example would it be better to check behind here and let him possibly catch up a little if a T/Q or even K rolls out? i wouldn't particluarly like to see another heart but i can't assume he's always on a FD just because there are 2 hearts there. with this the only worse hands that might call are weaker Ax and weaker pocket pairs. obviously a set of 888 or 666 are sticking around too. so do we always need to protect our hand in such a situation? i wouldnt see checking as slowplaying here because if we bet we are simply folding out so many weaker hands from his range that we may possibly get value from him on later streets. or should i not worry about this and just go ahead and protect?
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      so do we always need to protect our hand in such a situation?
      - no, but more important question imo is how to get all the money to the pot against AQ/AJ that might also check behind and try to slowplay+ there is always question about balancing.
      You´re c-betting close to 100% with your air and if you check then I think players would recognize that you´re either going to c/r or c/c- so they would not really bet as often their air hands. So although you get folds a lot of times I´d prefer c-betting to build pot and prepare playing for stacks with basically the nuts
    • veriz
      Hello DrDunne,

Yes, we need always to protect our hand in this case! We don't want to turn ourselves into bluff-catcher and then never know where we stand if he decides to 3barrel or even bet big. There are couple of hands from we need to protect. Even some PPs which may hit on turn a set. He is way too passive that he would take stabs on you either and what else do you want to play? Check/Call? It would be just horrible.

Best regards.
    • DrDunne
      ok thanks very much for the replies!