Hi Guys

• ParaffinAlien
      ParaffinAlien
      Bronze
      I found this site a few days ago when seeking out freeroll sites and bankroll offers.

WOW! What a fantastic site!

So, my poker career so far.
      Started out about 12 years ago playing poorly organized home games with a few mates and a lot of beer. Loved the game and usually managed to do pretty well. Over the years these games have become more organized and the general standard of play has improved to an extent. We play limit holdem with low blinds, nobody really loses or wins big.

Because of my success in home games I decided to try my hand on internet games about 6 years ago. It took me quite a long time and a fair few quid to realise that I was one of these poor unfortunates that would forever be on a downswing (yeah right).

I stopped investing any money on internet poker about 3 years ago and have only played the occaisional fun game online since then.

I was awarded the $50 bankroll for passing the quiz. It was while taking this test that it began to dawn on me how little I understand poker, I also realised that what I had considered to be a permanent downswing was in reality a complete lack of understanding of how to play poker with any kind of starting hand range and bankroll management. I had almost no idea of the value of position and that starting hands should vary according to position.

I found a description of myself in an article of this site. Donkey.

I've started to read a lot of the articles on this site, downloaded the starting hands chart and progressed to the standard of "nit" (I hope).

For the last day or two i've been playing $0.01/$0.02 NLH, buying in for 2$ and leaving the table when it gets to $3 or a double up.
      I've been doing my best to play as the articles on this site suggest and my bankroll has increased from the initial $50 to about $61. It aint a great deal but it is just about the only time I have ever made money during an extended session of online poker.

I find a lot of the suggestions difficult to follow. Typical mistakes I make are making a continuation bets on drawy boards with multiple opponents and then firing again when I get called, another mistake I often make is failing to make correct re-raises, often folding hands like ATs when I am in CO or BU instead of re-raising as suggested.

Its only due to the short time I have been at this site that I am able to recognize these patterns in my errors.

Thanks to everyone that put this site together and to those that contribute their wisdom and knowledge. Awesome job!
  • 10 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi ParaffinAlien, <--- and WHAT a name :D

Welcome to our community!

I literally was amazed by your introduction and thank you for taking time to write down your experience from playing with friends through receiving free $50 from PokerStrategy.com. :heart:

On which platform are you playing now? Very well done regarding your winnings, great job :)

I've asked a few of my colleagues to pop by and comment on your strategy play. You can post some hands and ask away, don't be shy!

Hope for a continues gold run and keep us updated
      Ingrid
    • michellecip
      michellecip
      Bronze
      Hi ParaffinAlien !

Welcome to our community ! Hope you won't invade us tho !

Good luck at the tables and don't use your superior gadgets to read our cards ! Its not fair ! :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      But where's your introduction michellecip ?! :s_evil:
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      he ParaffinAlien

nice to have you around here....
      How did you come up with this nickname?

For some strategy advice: You seem fairly willing to improve - which is a very good sign.
      Here are some insider-tipps for you:
      1) Use our hand evaluation forums for hands that you have not been sure about.
      2) Read our articles and understand them (guess you already did that)
      3) How about joining our No Limit Beginner Course (see IngridN's signature), its a nice structured approach to give your No Limit career a turbo-start!
      4) Do not overestimate winning sessions (I am the best player in the world-syndrom) nor be totally destroyed after loosing one session (thats the reason why we have Bankroll Management in place)
      5)maybe fancy playing some freerolls ? Here they are: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/pokerstrategy/Exclusive:-D aily-Freerolls-Weekly-Depositors-Freerolls_40547/

everything else?
      Yep: Welcome and enjoy it here in our forums and on our site!
    • michellecip
      michellecip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      I will make it at the right time...I save the good stuff for later.Need to have fans in order to reveal my true identity ! :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:

:coolface:
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michellecip
      Originally posted by IngridN
      I will make it at the right time...I save the good stuff for later.Need to have fans in order to reveal my true identity ! :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:

:coolface:
      Our pleasure to wait ... NOT :O

as long as you are here we're happy! :)
    • Pascal
      Pascal
      Bronze
      Hi,

think your first posts shows the dedication needed to become a good poker player :)

a big #2 under Sven's post
      try to take part in coachings and handevaluations (linked in my sig) as much as you can and don't think to much about short turn results
      even the best players will sometimes end up in losing sessions
      so self critic but not result orientated is the key

and a last tip
      having an own blog in the forum is a great way to force oneself into constantly thinking about your own process

Cheers and welcome to the forum,

Pascal
    • ParaffinAlien
      ParaffinAlien
      Bronze
      Thanks for the welcome all =) , the advice offered is greatly appreciated.

@Ingrid, I'm sticking to the 0.01/0.02 NLH full ring for now on poker 770. My main reason for staying as low as possible is because I want to get comfortable playing online for cash. I'm still very jittery around the tables and my nerves can get frayed pretty quickly even at such low stakes.

@Svenbe, This name "ParaffinAlien" has been my online identity for quite a while now. I like to play around with words sometimes and I simply like the sound of these words, they sound like they mean something else when spoken aloud. Thanks for the freeroll link, i'll check it out and I will be sure to take on board the tips you offered me, cheers!

@Pascal, thanks for the positive comment about dedication. I really enjoy poker and would absolutely love to make it something more then a hobby. I am realistic and realise that only a small % of players make a reasonable living out of it. I will be sure to start a blog and hand evaluation sessions.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      oh wow, svenbe and Pascal in this thread! why, you must be so special ParaffinAlien!

just wanted to pop by and say hi as well. :D it's a great idea to stay at a limit that you are comfortable in. at the start, the most important thing is really learning not only strategies, but also the proper mindset for the game.

hugs and smiles everyone!

wendy
    • bringmecards
      bringmecards
      Bronze
      best of luck at the tables and welcome