dannyf85

• dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Hi im Daniel, been playing poker on and off for about 3 years now so not really a beginner. I played mainly NL5 and NL10 with a few shots at NL25 with a slight winrate of roughly 4 -5bb/100. I used to be active on the forum this time last year but my heart wasnt in it anymore so I withdrew my roll from stars, bought a PS3 and took a big break from poker. Now poker fever has gripped me once again so I have deposited enough to play NL5 again but I feel iv fogrotten most of the theory side of things so this course will hopefully jog my memory and get me back on track to climbing the limits.
  • 12 replies
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My main motivation to play poker is to become a better player to one day reach the higher limits and live the dream :D

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      At the minute i believe i have many weaknesses since taking a year away and not playing a single hand iv lost most of my confidence at the tables. My brain seems to have turned to mush when it comes to most of the post flop theory ?(
      Sometimes I cbet to often or cbet a missed flop against opponents who dont fold to cbets, I used to do this a lot while multi-tabling on autopilot.
      I also think that sometimes im too aggressive post flop and totaly forget the rule "small pots for weak hands big pots for strong hands".
      Hand reading is also an issue im having trouble getting back into the swing of thinking in ranges

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?
      To be tight-aggressive means to choose your starting hands wisely depending on your position and to play them with controlled aggression rather than passively. For example raising rather pre flop rather than calling.
      It works because as the aggressor we have less difficult decisions to make. If we get raised its either re-raise or fold in most cases as calling will just leave you stripped of all initative and left facing another difficult decision on the next street. unless u have the nuts of course :f_cool:
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Hello... Sir.... are you their, have I been too ignorant and just barged my way in to the classroom ?( If thats the case I appolagise, please dont give me detention :D
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?
      The SHC should be used as a guidline to keep you out of trouble. it dosnt take into consideration any extra information you have on the players. For example if the blinds are super tight you can open looser in late position. The chart also states to raise pairs 22 -99 in late position, again its too generalised as its implying that basicly 99 is no stronger than 22 when in fact 99 will win a showdown far more often than 22. Against a tight table i would be raising 99 as loose as mp1. Also the Charts 3betting range is fairly tight for instance if the CO is opening really loose a wider 3bet on the BU could be an option with hands like AJs+ TT+. Isolating limpers rather than limping behind with broadways and medium PPs always works well as it generates fold equity.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play.
      NL5 QQ BB All in pre flop

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo?
      Equity Win Tie
      46.34% 37.94% 8.40% AKo
      53.66% 45.26% 8.40% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Homework 1 & 2 not marked yet but here goes homework 3 :D

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.
      Done.

Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3d3c? How does the equity change on the following flop: Js5d3s?
      Pre flop:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Post flop:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.45%  26.45%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.55%  73.55%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      At first glance it seems we have 9 outs, 9 clubs for the FD. A closer look at the situation means we may have to discount some outs. If villain is raising turn with a set 22, 66, 33, 55 or a completed straight with a 4, thn we have to discount the 6c and 3c as this would improve a set to a full house or 6s to quads, therefore we only have 7 clean outs for the flush giving 6:1 odds. The pot on the turn is $0.25 + $0.22 + $0.44 = $0.91 and we have to call $0.22 giving us $0.91:$0.22 or roughly 4:1. At first glace i would fold but as the villain has shown strength by raising the turn i believe we have the implied odds to win the extra $0.44 whats missing from the pot on the river if we hit

Question 3: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your post-flop play.
      Nl5 99 BB
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Well, first of all. We ain't ignoring you. :D You just were pretty fast with your homeworks. There are some spots where I might not answer. But it doesn't mean that I am not gonna join with the thread. :) Usually when you keep posting into the thread then it goes to the last ones I will read, I mean I read the thread by posted time. But I go through all of them! :) Don't worry.

First of all I'd mention that turning your game into autopilot ain't the best way to play it! The higher you get the more you have to think about the situation and the opponents. Rather get used to it earlier and don't get used to autopilot. ;)

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Also confidence will come with time. The more situations you know, the more you have analyzed your game, the more skilled you are the more confident you get. Which also proves the thing that why more experienced player start playing more hands. :) Their postflop skills are usually very good.

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Playing PPs can be in long run actually be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you could limp.

About 3betting is the case that you don't always have to 3bet for value. If we know that the opponent is easily capable of folding to 3bets a lot or just plays fit fold postflop then our 3bet as bluff can work also. All those kind of broadways type of hands are actually very good for that. They also have usually a blocker in them.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #3:
      There are few situations on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. There which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs. Which means that we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Once again sorry for the small delay. :)

You are doing great progress! Some more points earned.
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Thanks for ur replies coach I thought u might mark all homeworks at once ;)
      this course is really refreshing my head I'm looking forward to the coming weeks
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have the initiative post-flop.
      NL5 KQ isolation

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members
      NL2 SH - 73o at the River
      [NL2 FR BSS] KK Overpair, turn play

Question 3: You are on the flop with KsQd. The board cards are Js, 9c, 8h, and your opponent holds 7c7h. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.39%  41.39%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.61%  58.61%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz
      Its been a while since I've posted any homework or hands been fairly busy with home improvements etc but I should have more time now so.......

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.
      NL5 JJ isolation

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members
      Nl2 JJ

Question 3: Consider the following situation:
      We hit the flush on the turn and the SB leads out for nearly pot size $1 the BB calls, his stats indicate he is looser than the SB and is likly to have more draws in his range, for this reason i would raise to $4 to protect my hand from stronger flush draws and to get value from weaker flushes

Question 4: Consider the following situation:
      We are in the CO with JJ and the BTN 3bets so we must give him a range, he seems to play somewhat looser that TAG so Id say something like TT+,AQo+,AQs+ that may even be a little tight depending on if he 3bets lighter on the BTN. On the flop we have an overpair to the board so I would probebly c/call and hope not to see OC's on turn. I wouldnt like to donkbet as that gives him a chance to get away from AQ type hand that would cbet the flop
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

Don't worry being busy, that's why this course is good, you can finish the homeworks whenever you want.

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.