[NL2-NL10] nl10 fr calling a raise oop

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello coach,
      I'm not sure about my call here preflop, villain was loose and stealing 54% of the time, he was also going to showdown 33% of the time , i decided to call with my hand because i thought he would pay me off if I hit,which he did as he was chasing a straight and hit on the river, but as you can see I had hit my flush on the river. I thought the only hand that would beat me on the river would be higher flush and I felt if he had this he would have bet more and shoved after my check?, this made me think he must have a straight.what do you think?

Roo

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($10.05)
      BB ($6.36)
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($4.50)
      UTG+2 ($4.36)
      MP1 ($13.85)
      MP2 ($5.58)
      CO ($10.10)
      BTN ($9.85)

Dealt to Hero 7:diamond: 9:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to $0.30, fold, Hero calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.90) T:heart: J:diamond: 8:diamond:

Hero bets $0.86, BB folds, CO calls $0.86

TURN ($2.62) T:heart: J:diamond: 8:diamond: 6:spade:

Hero bets $2.49, CO calls $2.49

RIVER ($7.60) T:heart: J:diamond: 8:diamond: 6:spade: Q:diamond:

Hero checks, CO bets $3.10, Hero raises to $6.40 (AI), CO calls $3.30
  • 7 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Is he is loose, you will get paid off less than if he were tight. In general this is a poor spot to call since you are somewhat dominated. It is also hard to make moves to exploit his weak range when OOP. If you were BU, flatting might be ok.

Postflop would just shove river. I don't think he has anything to bluff with, so you may as well just bet yourself for value.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello roopopper,

Preflop: Fold it preflop. You are OOP and your hand ain't the greatest to play with either.

As played
      Postflop: Rather ship the river yourself. A lot of weaker hands are going to just Check behind which might Call against our ship even.

Best regards.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      oh thanks yes i see the error of my ways now!! Doh :(

extract from ps article ;

EXAMPLE 3 - SUITED CONNECTORS

Calling a raise with suited connectors in the SB position is practically a deadly sin in poker. You are playing a speculative hand out of position and on the defense. There's no way to play it profitably.

Roo
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Wait a sec! I didn't say it's not possible to play it profitable. If you have good reason to play the hand there is always a reason to play even the hand. :> Against fishy, fit/Fold or whatsoever opponents we can even play SCs.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      villain was loose and stealing 54% of the time, he was also going to showdown 33% of the time, his stats were showing green in my hem, and i had been watching his play as I only play one table at a time, I felt he was fishy, really felt he would pay me off if I hit with my suited connectors, I knew he was raising with crap and feel fairly confident that I could out play him post flop.
      I know this was a bit of a gamble but surely this is poker sometimes?
      Sometimes I worry that because im mainly raising or 3 betting im losing value from bigger implied odds of calling and hitting big, against this type of player.Is this false thinking?

roo
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black

Gambling is gambling. Poker is poker. :>

Sometimes I worry that because im mainly raising or 3 betting im losing value from bigger implied odds of calling and hitting big, against this type of player.Is this false thinking?

You mean you are 3betting only for value? Well, not on those limits.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz

Gambling is gambling. Poker is poker. :>

You mean you are 3betting only for value? Well, not on those limits.
      Point taken! Thankyou Veriz, you have helped to get me thinking in the right direction , it is not always easy for me to understand these things and I really appreciate your extra posts here. Thank you :)

Roo