UO PFR with AJ - isn't it a bulff?

• yinyun
      yinyun
      Bronze
      Hi!

I do not get it in Starting Hands Chart, if I raise with AJ or KQ no dominated hands will call me. So whats the point of raising?

Waiting for your answers!

yinyun
  • 7 replies
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Which position are you takling about?
      And depending on your opponent, there may be many worse hands that will cal you. :)

I will assume, you talk about fullring SHC, since I think there isn't one for shorthanded (only open raising chart...). If you open AJ, KQ form middle position (you are better folding early positions), players behind might call with some worse hands like suited connectors, small pairs (not really worse preflop, but if you hit flop, you beat them if they do not improve also), Axs, A9o+, QJ...it really depends on your opponent. Fishy players will call all kind of crappy hands. But if a nit calls or raises you, you are most likely behind. And if they all fold, you atleast collect the blinds.

If you steal from CO or BU there are also many worse hands that fishes will call you with from blinds. And you also got position on them, so you can control pot size if you are not sure you are ahead. Aggressive opponents will also 3bet you from the blinds with some worse hands like Ax, Kx, QJs, JTs since they will think you might be just trying to steal blinds...

As mentioned...it all depends on your opponents. Against some you can play for value with hands like AJ, KQ, but against others, you are behind from the start...
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      You'll also find hands like 77, 66, 55 calling you, chances are bad flops like Q - 8 - 4 will come, its rare they'll go to showdown with multiple overs, so you won't always need to connect. Also if hands like 99-88 are calling and the flop comes J-6-2 or K-7-6 you may see them pealing a c-bet from time to time, but there are still plenty of cards that make it difficult calling 2 barrels.

You can still get worse to call you pre, hands like J-10s & QJs, even suited connectors like 76s.

It would be nice if you specified if it's SH or FR and what position your raising from.

I wouldn't follow the SHC religiously or anything though. Poker is a very situational game.
    • yinyun
      yinyun
      Bronze
      Thank you!

I have FR in minde. What was confusing for me is that the chart doesn't allow calling raise with SC or Axs, and i think microlimits NITS do not play those cards at all.

y
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Lots of players do not follow any kind of chart. ;)
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      The starting hand chart is for beginners and really is just to help learn the basics!
    • yinyun
      yinyun
      Bronze
      Ok, do I get it right?

SHC is ment for tabels with average VPIP/PFR 30/10. When most NL4 tables have that like 15/10, it means I must make adjustments. What would they be? Like raising lots of SC, small PP and Axs IP?

Thanks for your answers!

y
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Silver
      As others have said, I don't follow the chart, it's mainly for people that aren't sure what hands are worth. The more you progress as a player the more hands you can play if your post flops games good.