27man

• danjef
      danjef
      Bronze
      I'm moving onto 27man sngs to learn multitable sng's to build my bankroll and get some experience before maybe moving onto 45/90mans.

I'm just curious what sort of downswings i can expect in these type of games and is 100buyins BR enough to be playing these?
  • 2 replies
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      I think 100 BI is more than enough.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      The downswings you will see depend on your win rate, and that depends on your skill which only you know (and only after you play).

In general, experts need larger bankrolls to play in larger tournaments.

A general formula you can use is

bankroll = comfort * standard deviation^2 / win rate

The comfort level depends on your risk tolerance and ability/willingness to move down when you hit a bad streak. You can use the same comfort level you did for STTs. A comfort level of 2 is considered aggressive. A comfort level of 4 is considered conservative.

The standard deviation for a 9-player SNG is about 1.5 buy-ins per tournament. This does not vary much based on your playing style. The standard deviation for a 27 player SNG is about 2.3 buy-ins, and depends slightly more on your playing style.

Your win rate should be expressed in the same units as your standard deviation.

For example, if you use a comfort level of 3, have a standard deviation of 2.3 buy-ins per tournament, and have an ROI of 10% (0.1 buy-ins per tournament), your target bankroll is 3 * (2.3^2) / 0.1 = 158.7 buy-ins. If your ROI is 20%, that would cut your bankroll requirements in half. If your win rate is 5%, your target bankroll would double to about 317 buy-ins.

The general tendency is for MTT players to underestimate bankroll requirements usually due to inexperience. If you hear about someone dropping 100 buy-ins, you usually assume they were tilting or simply didn't have the skills. However, players who grind MTTs with good ROIs over tens of thousands of tournaments routinely have much larger downswings than STT grinders do, which agrees with the math. You can see regular 50 buy-in downswings and some 100 buy-in downswings when you look up the players making the most profit in big MTT SNGs according to Sharkscope, and if you aren't yet an expert at the top of a Sharkscope leader board you should prepare for worse.