churchilland

• churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      Hy I'm 20 something years old and trying to play poker to support my living, since as a full time student i dont have other options (part time jobs with minimum wage would not cover even minimum living expensive s)

I found pokerstrategy extremely useful, mainly learning from here and also reading alot of pokerbooks on pdf format, but so far pokerbooks are less useful, none of them tells about strategy, maths or anything like that or maybe i read bad books :)

Anyway i really looking forward to this course
  • 18 replies
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

There is two 1) of course to support myself and be financially independent, money that i can earn can help to fullfill my other dreams and i wish to be free from ordinary 8-17 hours jobs in my future 2) game theory i'm really intresting in it and poker can help me alot to develop my knowledge about it in practise

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

1) i can't focus or be patient for too long so after an hour I can start to play marginal cards or simple go all in because maybe deep inside i'm tired and want to finish 2) i guess lack of knowledge and practise since I'm the beginner

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

selecting carefully cards and often raising when you play. It works because you choose the best odds to play with (when you choose carefully starting cards) and you can earn a lot money with aggressive playing instead of passive
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi churchilland,

Welcome to our Beginner course! :)

I hope you'll enjoy learning with us and soon crushing the tables!

Ingrid
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Impatience is actually a huge leak for every poker player. A lot of live poker players have such a leak and obviously as well in online poker. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite.

The other part will be improved with time. Experience will help you come a long in a lot of different situations.

Welcome to the Course and Best of luck! First points earned.
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      THANK YOU FOR YOU PREVIOUS REPLIES, much appreciated and helpful here are second homework:

Questions

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Answers:

1. I maybe include slowplay and bluffing, depending on my image and opponents I might do a change in beting size. For exammple when i get a monster hand like AA in early postion and I know that I was playing very tight so a raise could scare oponents cause they wouldk now that when i raise i really have something. So I could just limp with AA and hoping to catch some calls and extra money instead of just stealing blinds after all floped
      In other hand afterl quite time of tigth playing i can try to steal blinds with bad cards if i have a tigth player image and did not play any hand in a while

2. A link - Overplayed low pair

3. I used a equilab - AKo has 55% againts 45%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

So I could just limp with AA and hoping to catch some calls and extra money instead of just stealing blinds after all floped

This would be just horrible. Limping AA is almost the same as folding AA. :D You will just face a multiway pot and often your aces will get cracked. Never-Ever limp with them, just raise. Don't fair that your raise might look too strong. You are there to get value and protect your hand!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Not really sure how you get 55% for AKo. Could you paste the equilab result?

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      thank you for your anwser, i really enjoying this school

i wanted quickly to anwser about how i got those equity numbers - well I don't know, i put again the same situation on equilab and i got exact numbers that you posted, i'm unsure what i did diferent that time, anyway i know how to get the rigth anwser, so that is the msot improtant, thank you again
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Anwsers:

question 1 - let's say I am in MP2 and my oponent is in MP3 than equity is:

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.60% 50.21% 0.39% { KQs }
      MP3 49.40% 49.01% 0.39% { 33 }

After flop

Board: 5dJs3s

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 33 }

so flop change equity to be much worst for me

question 2:

let's use equity calculation
      potential profit -0.91, risk -0.44
      risk/(potencial profit+risk)*100 =0.44/ 1.35*1000=33

Pot odds is 0.91/0.41 (posible winning/cost of staying) --2

2;1 required equity is 33 therefore i call to see the river

in othere maths i have flushdraw on the river so 2:1 odds profit odds is not higer than odds, it is equal 2 so i call

I'm not sure if i ddi this math corectly, so would be grateful if you chek it

Question 3 - a link here overplayed set
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      thank you for your answer, ill try to rush things and finish all homeworks in the next days, but it takes my times since I want to do everything well and to read all articles, I read almsot of all them already but i found it very helpful again to revise those articles on basics that are recommend for each lesson.

Anyway homework number 4 :

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

ANSWERS

question 1 - NL 10 Sh A7S on BU with an intresting river too

question 2 - the first (newsest) hand on a forum - NL10 SH 45s

queston 3 - is it similiar to previuos questions? i just put all info to equilab and -

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KhQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      I guess i should stop copy pasting questions, since they are clear - http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/1997/1/ so Ill go direct to anwsers

Question 1 - Nl2 Fr 9d8d

Question 2 - http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/1997/1/

Question 3 -I raise SB is TAG and probably has a flush too and I have a weak flush while he can have a nuts flush while BB migth be more loose oponent, but even with SB as a TAG i'd raise or call hope to go to showdown with a chek on a river with hoping that SB just have a JJ but if he raise on a river and indicates strong flush i fold

Question 4 - I have overpair and a real loose candidate so i will bet and call raise since his stats indicate that he might play aggressive with weak hands

thanks for your answer in advance :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the School. Some more points earned.
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      Hi thanks for anwsers, hopefully today I'll submit all the rest of homeworks

Question 1 - with a slowplay NL BSS FR slowplay KK

Question 2 - KK of course!

Question 3 - very hard but i would fold, since i just limped to the flop and do not have the strongest posible two pair and my oponent can have AQ A3 33
      plsu BB are calling station and acording to a theory callin station never raise and if show aggresive probably have a monster
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      question1 - my hand from SH table - NL2 SH A2o

question2 - NL2 JJ on Turn

Question3 - I have a monster (flush and OESD) draw so even acording to MSS postflop chart I should call, but honestly i think in reality i would consider the fact that even two playes shift with all in and someone maybe catch QQ or also has monster draw If I would catch a flush i still would not have a nuts flush since someone maybe has an Ace hearts, so I would fold

Question4 no doubt raise, i have a good kicker and if he has a set he probably would go all in after my raise, but since the posibility of him catching a set is low I think with such a good kicker i would consider to go all in if he 3 bet me on flop so then defiently raise him
    • churchilland
      churchilland
      Bronze
      question1 - there was no specific requirements so i just psoted the hand with my biggest ever winning - Nl2 Fr Bss QQ

question2 - NL10 FR JJ in MP1 Im not sure if Im doing a good job in evaluating hands is there any structure how to evaluate should i comment all streets ect or just writing a comment aboutkey movement is ok ?

question3 - i donot have a nuts flush and it is a TAG player so Ill go with bet/fold

question4 - hard question i still play on NL2 so it is hard to comment on hand with a 200 $ bet on a river but here what i would think - i do not have a strongest posible full house and it is very likely that they called preflop with K8 Q8 or QQ KK and have stronger full house, but i guess with an 8 on flop CO would have bet not just cheked then with QQ or KK he probably would raised preflop and CO did raise a preflop so i go with a fact that he probably has a QQ or KK and a stronger full house so I fold, hardly but fold
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #7 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, you decided to bet out yourself and two players behind you go all-in. You would have to invest $8.40 in order to participate in a $22 pot, which corresponds to an equity of 27.63%.

Board: Q 3 2
      Dead:

Equity Win DrawLoss Hand
      Player 1: 38.538% 38.538% 0.000% 61.462% 5h4h
      Player 2: 14.540% 14.540% 0.000% 85.460% QQ+
      Player 3: 46.921% 46.921% 0.000% 53.079% 22-33

You get the required odds even when you're exclusively up against very strong hands!

About Question #4:
      Top pair / top kicker has been and will always be a hand that's tough to play, especially in a multi-way pot. In this case, you've hit a nice flop, but you're up against 3 opponents on a dry board which doesn't allow for any dangerous draws.

A fold on this board is, of course, too weak. You can't really hit much better and there might be worse Ax hands willing to pay you off.

If you think that your opponent(s) is/are often willing to go broke on the flop with worse hands, raising might not be the worst of choices. But one thing is clear: if you raise, you have to go all-in on the flop! Raise/fold with your top pair is absolutely out of question.

Even though this might leave a bitter aftertaste in a 4-way pot, you should play this like a way ahead / way behind spot here - by playing it passive, you will extract the maximum from weaker hands and bluffs while avoiding big losses against stronger hands.

Best of Luck on the Tables. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #8 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, the right answer is quite obvious. Both AF and WTS speak in favor of a check behind for bluff induce. But your hand is too strong here, so you want to get it all-in on the turn. There are a lot of hands you still have to protect against, too. Playing for bluff induce or pot control would simply be too weak and dangerous.

About Question #4:
      About preflop play I'd say that it's still doable while we even are a bit deeper. I expect the hero to play solid postflop play. So Calling is definitely fine here with having 2 opponents in the hand and getting great implied odds. But for more beginners it's deifnitely a very close spot while they ain't gonna be able to laydown weak hands.

As we have the information that CO is a TAG player. Therefore, we expect him to have a strong 3bet range. Unless we have some other information like he has a wide 3bet range. But while we don’t have that, we basically consider his range to be something QQ+, AK or sometimes even tighter.

So now you have to ask yourself what kind of hands would play like this on river? KK may slowplay like this. QQ definitely is as well in his range. AK/AA he wouldn’t play this way since he know himself as well that he isn’t going to get Called by worse hands. So basically it’s up to the nuts most often. You only beat bluff there and I don’t expect the opponent to bluff in this case unless we know the table dynamics better.

Best of Luck in The Exam! Some more points earned.