[NL2-NL10] MSS SH - AAx Flop

• fryandspicy
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, K.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.57) A, 8, A (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.57) T (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.57) 3 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10.

Final Pot: $2.77.

Opponent was unknown. I decided to check back the flop because my hand is too strong to waste on a bet/fold line but the board invites check raises because it's so dry and unusual. Aces still make up alot of most people's ranges even with the card removal effect. I had a look at equilator when reviewing the hand. On a board of AA8, 26.8% of the range {77+,A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo} has trips or better

On the turn I checked again because there are basically no scare cards and, again, I was afraid of a check/raise. I only want one street of value from my kings here. Is that too conservative? On a JJ2 board I would probably try for more value from TT, but that's because jacks are less likely to be in my opponent's range than aces.

On the river it's a snap fold in my (revised) opinion. Can I call a pot sized bet? Three quarter pot? My main query though is whether I should bet/fold anywhere here or whether such a passive line is okay.
  • 1 reply
    • burek2000
      Hey fryandspicy,

Flop is well played. You have the best hand most of the time and you have nothing to protect from thus you play WA/WB.

On the turn, when he checks for the second time I would go for a value bet. He can call worse and then you have an easy river to play by check/folding.

On the river you have to call a normal sized donkbet if you take your line. I would say "normal" is up to 3/4 of the pot. However, such an overbet is rarely a bluff and folding would be correct.

Best regards,