This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] MSS SH - AAx Flop

• fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $6.08
      SB:
      $5.92
      BB:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $4.83
      MP3:
      $4.94
      CO (Hero):
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, K.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.57) A, 8, A (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.57) T (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.57) 3 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10.

Final Pot: $2.77.

Opponent was unknown. I decided to check back the flop because my hand is too strong to waste on a bet/fold line but the board invites check raises because it's so dry and unusual. Aces still make up alot of most people's ranges even with the card removal effect. I had a look at equilator when reviewing the hand. On a board of AA8, 26.8% of the range {77+,A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo} has trips or better

On the turn I checked again because there are basically no scare cards and, again, I was afraid of a check/raise. I only want one street of value from my kings here. Is that too conservative? On a JJ2 board I would probably try for more value from TT, but that's because jacks are less likely to be in my opponent's range than aces.

On the river it's a snap fold in my (revised) opinion. Can I call a pot sized bet? Three quarter pot? My main query though is whether I should bet/fold anywhere here or whether such a passive line is okay.
  • 1 reply
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey fryandspicy,

Flop is well played. You have the best hand most of the time and you have nothing to protect from thus you play WA/WB.

On the turn, when he checks for the second time I would go for a value bet. He can call worse and then you have an easy river to play by check/folding.

On the river you have to call a normal sized donkbet if you take your line. I would say "normal" is up to 3/4 of the pot. However, such an overbet is rarely a bluff and folding would be correct.

Best regards,
      burek2000