Pocket rockets

• Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Was thinking about check folding flop, don't blame me.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $1,000(BB) Poker Stars
      SB ($7,165)
      BB ($19,276)
      Hero ($15,934)
      UTG+1 ($10,045)
      UTG+2 ($17,845)
      CO ($17,993)
      BTN ($18,587)

Dealt to Hero A:diamond: A:club:

Hero raises to $2,000, UTG+1 calls $2,000, fold, CO calls $2,000, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($8,200) 5:diamond: 4:spade: 6:heart:

Hero bets $4,000, UTG+1 raises to $7,945 (AI), CO calls $7,945, Hero calls $3,945

TURN ($32,035) 5:diamond: 4:spade: 6:heart: 4:club:

Hero bets $5,889 (AI), CO calls $5,889

RIVER ($43,813) 5:diamond: 4:spade: 6:heart: 4:club: 7:heart:

Hero shows A:diamond: A:club:
      (Pre 65%, Flop 8.5%, Turn 0.0%)

UTG+1 shows 4:diamond: 4:heart:
      (Pre 16%, Flop 59.4%, Turn 100.0%)

CO shows 7:spade: 7:diamond:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 32.2%, Turn 0.0%)

UTG+1 wins $32,035
      CO wins $11,778
  • 24 replies
    • mayapnd
      mayapnd
      Bronze
      No point going to the flop when you know you'll play against quads, just fold preflop.
    • Steelbrewer
      Steelbrewer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mayapnd
      No point going to the flop when you know you'll play against quads, just fold preflop.
      Golden words

• thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I can't see any good reason to fold AA pre. just :facepalm: imo
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Only if it's the last hand of the session and he wanted to maintain a huge profit.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matel17
      Only if it's the last hand of the session and he wanted to maintain a huge profit.
      Stop before then. Folding rockets pre cannot be profitable long run. whatever your reasons are.
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      Yes I was expecting that answer and I agree. But in a narrow kind of way, it makes sense there.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      The only time that is acceptable to fold AA preflop is by error (misclick or time out) nothing else.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      The only time that is acceptable to fold AA preflop is by error (misclick or time out) nothing else.
      Challenge accepted :coolface:

What if it's a 10 people table, 9 people make the money (let's say 10million for the 9th place). And only one person has the same chip stack as you and you both are SB and BB so who ever wins, knocks the other person out, but the other 8 people have only 1 ante and after this hand the antes start so all 8 people in the next hand are all in. So if a SB (that guy with the same chipstack as yours) shoves and you hold AA in BB is it acceptable to fold here? :pokerface:
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      he could have at least set mined and played only nuts.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      Challenge accepted :coolface:

What if it's a 10 people table, 9 people make the money (let's say 10million for the 9th place). And only one person has the same chip stack as you and you both are SB and BB so who ever wins, knocks the other person out, but the other 8 people have only 1 ante and after this hand the antes start so all 8 people in the next hand are all in. So if a SB (that guy with the same chipstack as yours) shoves and you hold AA in BB is it acceptable to fold here? :pokerface:
      why don't you get me an example of a situation that might actually happen. but to answer your question. There might be situation where it might be +ev to fold AA I guess. For example in MTT's with some package places on offer and folding guarantees you a package. in that case you are right. We were talking cash game I thought.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I believe it's sort of common practice to fold AA pre in some situations in Double or Nothing SnGs, for example there's 6 left, with Top 5 getting paid equal amounts and two players go all in with a similar chip stack to yours and you hold AA. I think it's fine to fold it there?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      not in a cash game methinks or you may as well not play. Otherwise, what you waiting for, pocket quads?
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Unless it is like that video link with the loose cannon, think he can find a fold as they made it pot limit preflop. Otherwise it would be an easy overbet shove from his position.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      I believe it's sort of common practice to fold AA pre in some situations in Double or Nothing SnGs, for example there's 6 left, with Top 5 getting paid equal amounts and two players go all in with a similar chip stack to yours and you hold AA. I think it's fine to fold it there?
      yes it would make sense as well because you dont get anymore by getting 1st or 5th. But again not in CG
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maniatrix
      Unless it is like that video link with the loose cannon, think he can find a fold as they made it pot limit preflop. Otherwise it would be an easy overbet shove from his position.
      I havent played much PLHE. but it still does not make sense to me to fold pocket Aces pre. you still have the nutz pre.

enlighten me.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      yes it would make sense as well because you dont get anymore by getting 1st or 5th. But again not in CG
      Yeah obviously never in cash games :D That's just ridiculous.
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      fold preflop
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      I havent played much PLHE. but it still does not make sense to me to fold pocket Aces pre. you still have the nutz pre.

enlighten me.
      With the loose cannon situation they're always amateurs, with a $50k NAPT passport going to the guy who posts the highest win. I'm not sure how big his profit was at that stage but I think when you're in that situation you probably stop thinking about the +ev and the optimal strategy and just start thinking about what the money would mean to your family not to mention the chance to play in the NAPT.

I think i folded AA pre once. I think it was in a satellite where it was approaching the bubble, and where every 'cash' got the same prize. I was comfortably chipped enough to know i would get through so just folded to the prize. The short stackers were clinging on so it was really far more risky to enter a pot with AA than just wait for the inevitable.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by Maniatrix

enlighten me.
      Probably situation in that spot is that loose cannon is on life changing profit so he will be likely very risk averse to play with those moneys. Obviously pros understand this and might put huge pressure on him postflop. So in that spot even if LC would understand that he would end up in tricky spots with just AA unimproved. In normal situation this would not be the problem, but this is not normal situation. No one (beside real gamblers) put whole bankroll in one table...