Urielz

• Urielz
      Urielz
      Bronze
      Hi, i recently joined Pokerstrategy.com, and have really enjoyed the BSS articles. Just came across this NL hold'em course, and am really looking forward to improving my game further!

Cheers,
      Urielz.
  • 4 replies
    • Urielz
      Urielz
      Bronze
      1st Homework

My motivation for playing poker is that i want, eventually, to generate a good profit. I want to prove that i am better than the average $0.01/0.02 player, and work my way up into the next bracket. Another reason that i play is that i really enjoy playing the game!

I believe my biggest weakness in Poker is that i start playing too many weak hands when i haven't been dealt any playable hands for a while. I also play when tired, which means i wont always be playing at my best.
      I will also have to manage the frustration of getting 'rivered' :) Although i guess it's good practise at resisting 'Tilt'. And it's also probably my fault for playing marginal hands, e.g KT off.

Playing 'Tight' poker implies that you carefully select which starting hands you wish to play, taking into account position at the table, and any raises, and/or calls previous to your actions.
      'Aggressive' poker is where, once you have chosen a suitably strong starting hand, you bet strongly pre-flop, usually by raising 4xBB (+1BB for each person who called previous to your raise). This is to force people with marginal hands off the pot, as they may get lucky on the flop. If someone else is holding a reasonable to strong hand, it gets money into the pot, and sometimes gives you a read of how strong their hand is, if they flat call, or re-raise.
      Post-flop action depends on what the flop shows. Continuation bets or re-raises are types of post-flop aggression.

I hope this is what the homework was looking for. Thanks for all the videos!

Urielz
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Impatience is actually a huge leak for every poker player. A lot of live poker players have such a leak and obviously as well in online poker. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite.

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • Urielz
      Urielz
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply!

Haha, every time i get impatient, i will just think of the MOUNTAINS of cash i will get if i wait for the correct hand, and then play it to the best of my ability... instead of playing marginal hands and hoping to hit on the flop.

So far i have been lucky enough not to lose more than 2 BI's in one session, and that was when i was tired and not thinking straight. Unfortunately i haven't been able to play much recently, as i am currently just about to move into my university for my first year :D Although i hope to increase my poker time once i'm settled

And so, onto homework 2;

Question 1:
      The starting hands chart does not factor in Player image at the table. If a player limps every hand, then it may be possible to play a slightly wider range of hands, as it is unlikely they have a strong hand. Likewise, if there is a maniac at the table, betting every street, it could be worth tightening up your range, and when you hit, extract as much value as you can from them.

In addition, The SHC doesn't take into account Blind stealing, a Re-steal, or how to react to a 3 or 4 bet (AA or KK you can shove all in, however on other hands it may not be so clear).

Question 2:

A9o, will it hold up against Flush draw?

^^ Here it is :)

Question 3:

My guess was that the equity would be about 50%, i based this mostly on the fact that a PP has a 50/50 equity against 2 over cards.
      However i was was slightly wrong, the villain has a 53.68% equity, while the Hero has only 46.32% equity.
      Is this close enough to be considered a coin-toss? Or should we always remember that we are slightly behind?

I hope this is of a good enough standard, Thanks for all the coachings!

Urielz
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Well, this is one of the ways you can remind yourself to keep your play in track. :) THAT YOU ARE THERE FOR WIN MONEY, NOT GAMBLE! That definitely helps a lot of people. Impatience also can be trained and trying to find the things what turns your play being impatient. :) Keep a closer eye on it.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you could limp.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.