Poker newbie wanting wins

• lewiled
      lewiled
      Bronze
      Hey

I'm Lewi Ledingham (lewiled), I haven't played poker for too long. I started in April of this year just playing for fun on the micro tables on Full Tilt, I was first attracted to it from watching my mate swanny (swanny36) play online. He has a couple years of experience under his belt and is now a fairly strong player on the NL5 and NL10 tables, and is gradually building a respectable bankroll (or at least he does before he needs to withdraw it for a night on the town).

Anyway, after playing 6 max tables for a couple of months and very quickly blitzing the free 50 dollars from pokerstrategy and another 100 or so dollars of my own money, I decided to finally do a bit of reading rather just being a fish that was almost shoving most pairs I hit pre-flop.

Over the summer, although I am very much a poker newbie, I have watched a fair few videos, as well as reading 'how to play poker online' and Phil Helmuths' 'How to play poker like the pros'. These have helped me a lot with grasping the basics and I do now feel I can play a fairly sold tight and aggressive game at a micro table/ tourney level.

The new problem I face though is just a lack of money to really throw into my bankroll to play a sufficient number of cash games. So I tend to enter a lot of tournaments, sit tight and try and hit my hands in order to play aggressive to hang on and get in the money. I play a lot of the $8 and $15 180 player tourneys on pokerstars.

After a fairly standard start for a beginner, regularly being knocked out before the top 100, I persevered with more reading and adopting a much more tight patient approach whilst playing. I now normally find myself finishing in the top 40. On a number of occasions I have made it to the final table. My best result being a 3rd place finish in a $15 buy in tourney ($295).

Bad news is after this big win, I had to withdraw it all for a holiday. So im hoping I can replicate a similar result to that in the very near future in order to gain a respectable bankroll to start hitting the cash games!

Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later!

Cheers,

Lewi.
  • 10 replies
    • lewiled
      lewiled
      Bronze
      Here is a video of one of the tournaments I played in today and placed 22nd/180.

I am just wondering what your thoughts are on my betting pattern. Is it too aggressive for a hand like that? does it show signs of a newbie? or do I play it fairly well?

Cheers,

Lewi.
    • lewiled
      lewiled
      Bronze
      Another frustrating tourney session. Finishing 29th/180. Getting close to the money so often now.

need to tighten up I think, still playing a bit too loose.

Anyway, feeling on tilt and tired so Im calling it a day.

Cheers.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      hey lewi
      great to see your blog here and good luck with your poker.

Have you read through the sng and mtt articles and watched some videos here at ps?

The most important rule of poker is bankroll management, i know from experience as I have spuffed my fair share in poker before i found this site. :(
      Have you tried any of the coaching sessions?

Roo
    • lewiled
      lewiled
      Bronze
      Cheers Roo,

Yea But only a couple of the sng vids. Will spend some time watching them in next few days and take some notes. I think the mtt vids may be a big eye opener.

What kind of level you playing at yourself?

Yea ur right about the bankroll management. Do you think tournaments are a good way to build a bankroll or start on the micro tables?

Lewi
    • swanny36
      swanny36
      Bronze
      Congrats on your win today mate! Should have a very decent roll if you want to start playing cash now. Or sit and go's. Or pretty much anything to be honest! Ship it!

Euan.
    • jdnismo
      jdnismo
      Bronze
      Hey, nice blog, what's your bankroll now? I'd recommend starting with the lowest tournaments if you want to build a bankroll that way, since you need ~100 buyins for MTT's. I've heard that SnG's are a good way to build a bankroll at first, but micro cash games are obv good as well, and less swingy.

I'd advise not doing stuff like going on facebook when you're playing, like in your video :tongue: it just acts as a distraction and you won't be playing your A-game.

Another bit of advice is to keep your poker money separate from real life money, so don't withdraw your bankroll for something you need in real life unless you really have to :s_cool:

Anyway, good luck, I'll follow your blog, and if you start playing micro cash games hit me up on skype and we can talk poker :f_cool:
    • lewiled
      lewiled
      Bronze
      Cheers jdnismo. Thanks for the advice. Because I don't have much money in my bankroll and can't afford to play a number of tournaments and cash games at onetime. I tend to have Facebook on too in order to avoid getting bored and playing weak hands. this will soon have to change though...

GOOD NEWS!

After many weeks of Just missing out on the paid places in tourneys and on the odd occasion scraping into the cash, I played some of my best poker last night along with a bit of luck and won a 15 dollar 180 man tourney .

Bankroll now sits at 750 dollars, such a buzz and was in no state to play again so I shut down pokerstars straight away.

I videoed a lot of my important winning hands from last night and I will post them on here later.

Cheers,

Lewi.
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Nice one Lewi,

Looking forward to the hand history, please do share!

Take care,
      --E
    • swanny36
      swanny36
      Bronze
      Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Shaggin birds since 1999. Nearing the century. 'Mon lewi son!

Keep of the hard ones though. Summer of 96- Heroin is not that fun!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi lewiled, welcome to the blogs forum!

I don't know how much information you have gathered, so I have posted this link to some software that may be of use if you haven't got it already.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/

Best regards and have fun,

Mal.