Omaha 8 or better Supernova in six months attempt

• gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      The story so far:

Earlier this year I was playing on Full Tilt Poker and had a nice, healthy bankroll with two and a half years of Iron Man status.

At the end of June all I had was $300 on PokerStars and tiny bankrolls on two other sites.

Then I lost it all (except $0.04) to a mega whale at PLO8 $.50/$1.00 and I had only Bronzestar and a few FPPs in my account.

I found a backer and started playing a lot more hands per week than I did on my own bankroll.

Today I have:

$4143.93
      96815 FPP
      40868 VPP

Part of that amount belongs to my backer.

20% of my profit came directly from the whale who emptied my account before the stake.

I will update this thread with my VPP count and interesting events in the next few months.
  • 22 replies
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Good luck :)
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      Hand against the legendary whale who took all my money:

Poker Stars $100.00 Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $499.35
      MP: $199.25
      Hero (CO): $150.05
      BTN: $758.10
      SB: $144.60
      BB: $119.60

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is CO with A:diamond: K:heart: 6:diamond: 3:spade:
      UTG calls $1, 1 fold, Hero raises to $3, BTN raises to $9, SB calls $8.50, 1 fold, UTG calls $8, Hero raises to $46, BTN calls $37, 2 folds

Flop: ($111.00) K:club: J:heart: 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $104.05, BTN calls $104.05

Turn: ($319.10) 7:club: (2 players)

River: ($319.10) 9:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $319.10
      Hero shows A:diamond: K:heart: 6:diamond: 3:spade:
      BTN shows T:diamond: 8:heart: 3:club: 5:club:
      BTN wins $316.10
      (Rake: $3.00)

He called because of the backdoor straight draw, of course.

I haven't seen that guy since last month. This was the biggest pot I took from him:

Poker Stars $100.00 Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $251.90
      SB: $1273.00
      Hero (BB): $299.05
      UTG: $110.95
      CO: $85.50

Pre Flop: ($1.50) Hero is BB with 8:club: A:spade: Q:club: A:diamond:
      1 fold, CO calls $1, 1 fold, SB raises to $4, Hero raises to $8, 1 fold, SB raises to $25, Hero raises to $76, SB raises to $229, Hero raises to $299.05, SB calls $70.05

Flop: ($599.10) 4:spade: 8:heart: J:heart: (2 players)

Turn: ($599.10) T:diamond: (2 players)

River: ($599.10) T:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $599.10
      SB shows K:diamond: A:club: Q:diamond: J:spade:
      Hero shows 8:club: A:spade: Q:club: A:diamond:
      Hero wins $597.10
      (Rake: $2.00)
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gumasta

He called because of the backdoor straight draw, of course.

I haven't seen that guy since last month. This was the biggest pot I took from him:
      He was proly busy rubbing your cash on his titties :coolface:
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      Oh, he did bust my account two months ago. But I took a lot more from him after I got a bankroll again.

I'll do the rubbing, thank you very much. :f_biggrin:
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      Progress: 47.38% to Supernova

I made a final table in the WCOOP. Early in the tournament I lost a few coin flips and had a very short stack. I started to pick up good hands approaching the money and went from 4 big blinds and near last place to above average chips after doubling up on the first hand after the bubble.

Once in the money I was winning most pots whenever I saw a flop. I won a huge pot for the chip lead with 19 left and then another guy on my table took the lead and made it difficult for me to steal pots. On the final table I had another massive pot that would have put me in 2nd place but I lost as 58/42 favorite and busted out.

I sold a large percentage of my equity so it wasn't my most profitable day ever, but I think it's second to the time I won a milestone hand.

Here's the hand for the chip lead:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      Hi-Lo Omaha $10,000(BB) Poker Stars
      Hero ($357,626)
      BB ($165,998)
      UTG ($324,670)
      UTG+1 ($148,786)
      UTG+2 ($298,271)
      CO ($249,300)
      BTN ($125,548)

Dealt to Hero Q:spade: 5:diamond: 4:diamond: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, CO raises to $20,000, fold, Hero calls $15,000, BB calls $10,000

FLOP ($68,750) 9:spade: 6:spade: 7:diamond:

Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

TURN ($68,750) 9:spade: 6:spade: 7:diamond: A:heart:

Hero bets $40,000, BB folds, CO calls $40,000

RIVER ($148,750) 9:spade: 6:spade: 7:diamond: A:heart: 8:heart:

Hero bets $296,376 (AI), CO calls $188,050 (AI)

CO shows Q:diamond: A:club: 2:heart: Q:heart:
      (Pre 60%, Flop 50.9%, Turn 22.5%)

Hero shows Q:spade: 5:diamond: 4:diamond: A:spade:
      (Pre 40%, Flop 49.1%, Turn 77.5%)

Hero wins $524,850
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Hi, added to favorites!

What limits to you play? Which one is the most fun pot plo8, nlo8 or flo8?

I've always found this game very entertaining. :)
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      Hi! I've played all of them and I think PLO8 is the most enjoyable. On the other hand, NLO8 can be very profitable when you are playing against inferior players when shorthanded or heads up.

I've played from micro stakes up to .50/1 and 1/2 (just a few hands there) PLO8 or NLO8, and limit games up to .50/1. Most of my hands on FTP were at Lickety Split .25/.50 rush poker.
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Less swingy than normal PLO?

I've come across NLO 18 man SNGs on Stars. They seem to be the most popular Omaha SNGs there. Ever tried those?
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dydukas
      Less swingy than normal PLO?

I've come across NLO 18 man SNGs on Stars. They seem to be the most popular Omaha SNGs there. Ever tried those?
      If you want a game without swings, play some kind of draw poker.

I believe high ROI is possible in 9- or 18-player O8 SNG. But I haven't played many of them. If you have a good understanding of strong hands and when to fold then you can easily make money from these.
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      Congratulations on your success in WCOOP 2011. You have now joined an elite club of WCOOP Final Tablists.

You will receive a Special Edition WCOOP Final Tablist Hoodie in the next few weeks. All you need to do is click the button below and let us know the size you'd like.
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gumasta
      Congratulations on your success in WCOOP 2011. You have now joined an elite club of WCOOP Final Tablists.

You will receive a Special Edition WCOOP Final Tablist Hoodie in the next few weeks. All you need to do is click the button below and let us know the size you'd like.
      Cool, how much did you cash on that FT $$?
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      I had only 21% of myself. I made several people very happy with their investments!
    • Bono1987
      Bono1987
      Silver
      Hi
      Good luck and post often :)
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      Thank you.

I am officially running below EV for the year, not counting tournaments. Good news is my streak of winning months has reached 23. If I can book a winning month in October then it will be two years straight.
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      I welcome basic questions about my specialty game, Omaha8 (Omaha high-low split eight-or-better qualifier pot-limit, no-limit, or limited betting).

Anyone feel free to post your questions in this thread.

Rules:

1. If your post is too long for me to answer in one post of my own, cut it short enough so that I can answer it quickly.

2. You can post one hand history at a time, and too many hands from the same person may be ignored.

3. If for some reason there is a long queue of questions and I haven't shown up to answer, wait for me to come back to the thread before posting more of them.
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      > I have couple of questions about O8. You are experienced player so You now how start with this :)
      > So how You learning O8. Probably You read a lot of 2p2 but maybe You now some other valuable pages about omaha 8 .

I am self taught from micro stakes up to small stakes. I post a little on forums but learn more from playing.

> What Do You think about cash games. They are soft or rather toft?? I talko about higher limit above 50's.

The games that run are usually soft as long as at least one fish is playing.

> It is beatable with good winrate ?? And Do You think in omaha 8 this is possible to earn 3-4k$ per monthn ?? Obviously in highers limits. ( NOw I play mostly sng + mtt and PLO8 10). But I think about future and It is good way to earn better money in the future ?? In which site You play ?? Which site have the softest games ??

I play on PokerStars because of the good traffic and VIP program. I used to play on FTP. $3k per month is possible with Supernova status 12-tabling if your win rate is good. I had a $3k month in cash game profit with 33,000 hands in August 2011. Party Poker had the softest games but very low traffic.
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      With two months to go I've got 68% of the points needed for Supernova VIP.

Here are some questions and answers:

what exactly qualifies as low? and for the same matter high?

You need five different ranks of cards using two from your hand and three on the board. The wheel is the best possible low: 5432A.

The '8 or better' qualifier means your five cards must all be 8 or lower. Cards 9 to K are called 'high' cards, and a board that has two or fewer unpaired low cards means low is not possible. If a flop contains three high cards, low is not possible. A flop with one low rank enables a backdoor low draw, and a flop with two low ranks enables a low draw needing one more distinct low card. Straights and flushes are ignored for the low hand.

High hands are exactly the same as in Omaha high. Two from your hand, three from the board, best hand. You win the high half of the pot if there is a low, and you scoop the pot if there is no low.

Ranking of low hands is the same as Razz. You can easily compare hands by converting to a 5-digit number from highest to lowest, with aces low.

Examples, with the hand on the left of the < lower (better low) than the hand on the right:

87632 < 87654

These hands are tied in the first three digits, and the lower hand is 87632, so it wins low.

65432 < 7432A

The 6 gives the hand on the left a 6 low. The hand on the right has a 'smooth' bottom of 432A, but the high card of 7 loses to the 6-high hand.

6532A < 6542A

The third digit here is the difference.

In a loose game it's very common for the nut low to win part of the pot. The best hands to have for making the nut low include A2 plus 'wheel' cards for backup.

Example, on a flop of 478:

The nut low is any hand with A2xx.

The 2nd nut low is any hand with A3xx, which can make the nut low if a 2 comes on the turn or river.

The unbreakable 'no-bust' low is A235, which always has at least a tie for low even if it pairs twice on the next two streets.

Any hand with A23x has 'counterfeit protection' which means it can pair one of its hole cards and still have the nut low. It's also possible to consider A25x as protected with a 2nd nut backup low.

what are basic premium hands for the game? How do you avoid committing with 2nd nut lows, and highs?

PREMIUM HANDS

There are lists of hands in many places around the net. Basically, you want these kinds of hands:

A-A-2-3 double suited: Strongest in both directions; dominating hand.
      A-A-w-w (two wheel cards 2-5): A pair of aces with low potential is always good, especially heads up. If you can get all-in before the flop then you're almost certainly a favorite to win against one or two opponents.

A-K-3-2 suited: With a suited ace you have nut high potential and the two wheel cards give you excellent low potential. The A-K high lets you outkick other A23 hands without pairs. Similar hands are A-K-4-2, A-Q-3-2, etc.

A-K-K-2, A-Q-Q-2, A-K-K-3, etc: A big pair with A-2 or A-3 is a strong hand especially against another hand with weaker high features.

A-2-3-4, A-2-3-5, A-3-4-5: Low hands with several wheel cards are good in multi-way pots, and not as strong heads up. Usually very good in fixed-limit full ring games.

PLAYING THE 2ND NUTS

Generally you want to have a lock in one direction and some strength in the other direction, if not nut-nut. When you have the 2nd nuts for low, if you think your high side is the best hand, then you could be drawing live against the nut low. Otherwise you don't want to put a lot of money in the pot with a 2nd nut low. You can usually call a bet or make a bet on the river with the 2nd nut low if the pot is small or the action indicates you're the best for half, but even then you can be tied with someone. If you tie for low and lose high, then you lose money when the betting is heads up.

When you are in fixed-limit and shorthanded games, the 2nd nut low can be good especially if there is an A or 2 on the board. Be careful when you could be tied and win only 1/4 or 1/6 of the pot. Sometimes the pot is big relative to the bet and you can call down even if you know you're probably getting 1/4.

High hands can be bet aggressively when there are only two low cards on the board on the flop or turn, but you have to use caution and get reads on opponents who show aggression, especially when a low comes and there is a draw that can beat your hand (freerolling for high).

On the river, sometimes you want to bet to get a low out of the hand so you can get the whole pot; sometimes you want to control the pot and let multiple people call for the low so you have half of a pot and put in only a third of the money or less. Just be careful and limit the damage if you have a strong hand that isn't the nuts. Non-nut high hands win more often than non-nut low hands, but still it's not hard for someone to have the nuts in many situations. Experience will help to improve your hand reading.
    • gumasta
      gumasta
      Bronze
      Supernova Quest: 5/6 done.

I should be finished after four more weekends. Then I'll have several days off for holidays, and start again early next year!
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Hi, do you still welcome basic questions? I play a little bit of PLO8 SH and maybe would post a hand or two.