[NL2-NL10] nl2 AQs hit flop

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Given villians stack size and the fact he is happy to bet into me I felt flat calling the flop was best way to get all the money on later streets.

Best play?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $0.86
      MP3:
      $0.91
      Hero:
      $1.56

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , Q:heart:
      2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.09, SB calls $0.08, BB folds, MP3 calls $0.07.

Flop: ($0.29) A:club: , 8:spade: , 6:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, MP3 bets $0.29, Hero calls $0.29, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.87) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      MP3 raises $0.53 (All-In), Hero calls $0.53.

River: ($1.93) 8:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.93

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows (Ad Jc)
      Hero shows two-pair, aces and eights (Ah Qh)

Hero wins with two-pair, aces and eights (Ah Qh)
  • 5 replies
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      I would protect the flop there and raise him AI there.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Here is my thoughts on why calling is a better line here:

He is short stacked so I'm not folding on scare cards on later streets given the odds I will get to call.

If we shove he is calling us on the flop with his draws given the amount he has committed to the pot, so we are only really shoving for value as protection won't work.

The only hands that he will fold on flop are very weak pairs or pure air, why not keep these hands in his range by calling? I'm in position so I can always bet for value on later streets if villian gives it up.
    • BigOVERBET
      BigOVERBET
      Bronze
      On that board, i doubt that his ever donk betting air.
      He is too short, you can ofc call and not fold any turn (10 of spades would be bad lol), but with his stack size, hes not folding anyway.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      If he had the draw he will always call us on flop anyway so its no real difference to the end result if/when the spade hit on turn or river. The argument 'we bet for protection' doesn't really apply, shoving can only really be for value.

We get better value out of different parts of his range by calling/shoving:

We get draws to push on flop if we shove, they may fold on turn if we push and they haven't yet hit. However, you might argue he will still call wihout the odds if he is fishy enough.

We get air/weak pairs to fold on flop if we shove. We can potentially get value on later streets by taking the more passive line.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Well. First of all we ain't ever gonna make MP3 to fold here. :> Even if he has a draw he will Call us while making it pot size bet. The only reason is to induce SB to come along. But overall I don't think that there is a very huge difference, with their stacks they are anyways calling with a draw. Nice hand!

Best regards.