$50 starting MSS on NL2

• Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Hi All ,

As a newbie (playing less than 1 year) who had made all the common mistakes (playing beyond my bankroll, chasing gutshots, overplaying A7off etc). I was so happy to stumble across this site!

I answered the quiz, got my $50 read the short stack strategy and started playing! First few days where quite good and increased to $60+ (but something was wrong!!!!) Suddenly I was back down to $50! Time to re-read the strategy (and watch the vids!). I then realised why things were not working correctly:

i. I was playing 6 seater not 9 seater!
      ii. I was taking too much money to the table (40 to50BB rather than 20)

Although these seem trivial things I now understand their importance and so (after a suggestion from the forum) I have moved to NL2 and Medium Stack Stategy (MSS).

I'll be multitable playing (3 tables) and sticking to the rules (even if I'm sure the villian is raising with 96off).

Hoping to play 1 to 2 hours most days (my missus will not be pleased) and will let you know how things are going. I'll keep it quite simple (win/lose ratio and a couple of intersting hands)
  • 41 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Deadbillis,

Welcome to our blog section and wish you best of luck at the tables!

Ingrid

ps: have you visited our beginners course yet? Details are in my signature :heart:
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Hi Deadbillis,

Welcome to our blog section and wish you best of luck at the tables!

Ingrid

ps: have you visited our beginners course yet? Details are in my signature :heart:
      Hi Ingrid, thanks for the welcome. Yes studied SSS and MSS (which this blog is going to be based on)
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      First problem!
      The site I'm on has min $1 on NL2!!!!!!! I need .80c to play MMS here!
      Gonna have to play NL4 and take $1.60 to table (is this within my $50 Bankroll??????)

Can't see a way around it so here's the ammended rules:

Buy In $1.60 Rebuy at $1.20 Leave at $2!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      First Hour Start 3 tables $1.60 on each table.

First half hour no action and not many playable cards! Get a couple of Button and SB steals through. Then first flop hand:

Hero AK in MP2 Raise
      Villain Calls from Button
      Flop 8K9
      Hero Bets
      Villain Folds!

Quiet again apart from a 'free flop' win with a paired 6 checked down.

Oh! MP1 JJ I raise but SB re-raises.... Got to fold!
      Oh! MP2 JJ (same table) I raise but Button re-raises... Fold again!!
      Oh! BB JJ (Again but pos better). Button raises, I reraise, button allin, I call. He's got 22, my jacks hold up! Leave that table!

finish the hour and leave the other two tables. here's the stats.

Table 1 - 73 hands - 1 showdown (free) - win/loss +0.22c
      Table 2 - 58 hands - 1 showdown (JJ) - win/loss +$1.07
      Table 3 - 64 hands - 0 showdown - win loss -0.44c (had to rebuy JJ folds)

Total win/loss +$0.85

:)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey mate,

Great to see you followed my advice and started blogging :)

I wish you the very best of luck in your poker journey and I know it will be filled with plenty of twists and turns and ups and downs.

What site are you playing at? Let's see if we can help you figure out your buy-in problems :)

All the best,
      Gary
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Hey mate,

I wish you the very best of luck in your poker journey and I know it will be filled with plenty of twists and turns and ups and downs.

What site are you playing at? Let's see if we can help you figure out your buy-in problems :)

All the best,
      Gary
      Hi Gary,

I'm on 770.
      Tried going on NL2 with .80c but their min is $1!
      NL4 does let me on with $1.60 which is a little low for $50 (only 31 buy-ins).
      My plan is to play this for the rest of the week and if I drop to $35 I will buy an additional $40 so I have the $90 (56 buy-ins).
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Deadbillis
      Hey mate,

All the best,
      Gary
      Hi Gary,

I'm on 770.
      Tried going on NL2 with .80c but their min is $1!
      NL4 does let me on with $1.60 which is a little low for $50 (only 31 buy-ins).
      My plan is to play this for the rest of the week and if I drop to $35 I will buy an additional $40 so I have the $90 (56 buy-ins).
      Imo, 31 buy-ins at NL4 isn't so bad. I think as long as you play correctly and study the material available to you over and over and over you will be fine.

I suggest spending alot of time studying over the next few days, more so than playing. I suggest this because, if you get the basics down to a tee early it will save you $$$ in the long run.

I know you are enthusiastic to play right now, but I feel studying is so important and it will save you alot of $$$ now :)

All the best,
      Gary
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      mss strategy clearly states you buy in for 80 cents then leave the table with £1!! you will have to buy-in then leave straight away!!! lol only joking!!

Sounds like you will have to follow nl4 to me, I have never come across this problem when I was playing mss !!

Damn you 770 for spoiling our game :-(

best of luck with your poker :)

Roo
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze

Imo, 31 buy-ins at NL4 isn't so bad. I think as long as you play correctly and study the material available to you over and over and over you will be fine.

I suggest spending alot of time studying over the next few days, more so than playing. I suggest this because, if you get the basics down to a tee early it will save you $$$ in the long run.

I know you are enthusiastic to play right now, but I feel studying is so important and it will save you alot of $$$ now :)

All the best,
      Gary
      I agree about the studying. Spending an hour before playing reading through and I have the 'Raising - 3bet -Steal/Resteal - Post Flop - Free Flop Charts printed off in front of me when I play.
      This way I can follow each hand and play as specified.
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Back from work (I'm a chef) spend some time with family, chill out and read through the MSS info. Right lets do an hour:

Join 3 tables. 2nd Hand get a monster!!!!

Hero MP1 - KK Raise
      MP2 & 3 call
      CO 3bets
      BU Calls!
      SB & BB Fold
      Hero Allin
      MP2 & 3 Fold
      CO Calls
      BU Folds

CO = KJs (FLOPS FLUSH!)

Hero Rebuys!

A few hands later:

Folded to Hero BU = KQs Raise
      Folds to MP1 Calls!
      Flop 9Q2 (Rainbow 2 is my suit)
      MP1 Bets
      Hero??? My re-raise is 90% of my stack so Allin.
      MP1 Calls with T2off!!!!
      Hero's Queens hold up!

Leave table.

Join new table

2nd Hand

Hero SB = ATs
      MP1 Raises
      Hero checks 3 bet chart and 3bets as specified
      MP1 calls
      Flop = Trash missed all!!!!!
      Hero Cont. bets
      MP1 folds.

Hero Leaves table!

Joins new table!

18th hand

Hero SB = AKo
      Folds to BU = Raises
      Hero checks chart & 3bets
      BB folds
      BU = Allin
      Hero Calls

BU= AJo
      Hero's hand holds up

Leaves table.

Nothing much on other 2 starting tables. A couple of Raise & Folds along with an AQ missing flop and folding after turn mean I have to Rebuy on both these tables.

Here are the stats:

Table 1 - 20 Hands - 1 bustout & 1 allin win - Buyin $3.20 - Take Out $2.94 - Win/Loss -.26c

Table 2 - 2 Hands - 1 allin win - Buyin $1.60 - Take out $2.11 - Win/Loss +.51c

Table 3 - 19 Hands - 1 allin win - Buyin $1.60 - Take out $3.07 - Win/Loss + $1.47

Table 4 - 65 Hands - 1x .40c Rebuy - Buyin $2.00 - Take out $1.46 - Win/Loss -.54c

Table 5 - 67 Hands - 1x .40c Rebuy - Buyin $2.00 - Take out $1.72 - Win/Loss -.28c

Overall - Buyin $10.40 - Take out $11.30 - Win/Loss +.90c
      New Total: $50.85 + .90c = $51.75

Summary:
      Even though I had a 'bad-beat' early on, by sticking to the format I have managed to still come out with a profit.
      One thing I would recommend is once you are out of a hand DONOT watch the board as there is nothing worse than seeing your folded 'trash' hand turn into a monster. By not watching the flop you will not be tempted into playing 64off 'just in case' 644 flops!

So two hours in and I've made a 3.5% profit (hope my maths are right there!). Alls Good!
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      mss strategy clearly states you buy in for 80 cents then leave the table with £1!! you will have to buy-in then leave straight away!!! lol only joking!!

Sounds like you will have to follow nl4 to me, I have never come across this problem when I was playing mss !!

Damn you 770 for spoiling our game :-(

best of luck with your poker :)

Roo
      Cheers Roo

I did think about buyin for $1 and leave at $1.20 but figure I'm on a hiding to nothing with this 're-fit'!! nl4 it is!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Glad to see you got off to a good start and I hope you can keep it up!

Are you using any tracking software? We have our very own Elephant which is now free if you would like to take a look.
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze

Are you using any tracking software? We have our very own Elephant which is now free if you would like to take a look.
      I don't think my poor little laptop can handle much more software! X(
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      So back for round 3! Not been feeling great today but decide to keep to my plan. Spend an hour studying charts, make a cup of tea, kiss the missus goodnight and get down to it!

Open up 3 tables, sit down and wait......

and wait.....

and wait!

Need to rebuy at one table before I've even made 1 move (where are my cards???)

Be careful what you wish for!

Get a hand on the Button QQ!

MP1 raises.

Folds to me, Re-raise!

Folds to MP1... All in!

I call.

MP1 shows AQoff.
      Hits his ace!

Rebuy and start again!

I have to fold a couple of 3bets to allins and rebuy on table 3!

Still no action. Get AA in BB but everyone folds before my turn to act!!!!

Get KQoff in cut off and reaise.
      Get called by button and SB
      I miss flop which hits an Ace!!!!
      SB checks!!
      I cont. bet
      they both fold!!!!!

Takes me over my limit so I leave table.

New table

I get AK in cut off with a raise from MP1, I 3bet and BB 4bets!!!!!!!

MP1 gets out the way.

I'm not sure what to do????? Fold or Push?

Still uncertain about this but I Push.

BB calls with K8s!!
      AK holds up!

I leave table!

Double up again when TT turns into trips on the flop and I get called by a gutshot!

Times up here's the stats:

Sat at 7 tables over 1 hour 40mins (max 3 tables at one time)

263 Hands

Buyin $14.20

Take out $14.93

Win/Loss +.73c

New total: $51.75 + .73 = $52.48
      Daily increase of 1%
      Total increase = 5%

Summary
      After a long wait followed by suckout I did feel like loosening up (JTs suddenly looks real nice!). Managed to refocus and keep to the script and in the end it paid of (a win's a win!).
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Deadbillis

I don't think my poor little laptop can handle much more software! X(
      Tracking software on online poker is a must.
    • iCallSick1
      iCallSick1
      Bronze
      31 buyins is low for you? seriously?

LMFAO I think any limits under NL25 personally only need 15 Bis, once you hit NL50 to NL200 A bankroll of 30-45 Bis is needed IMO.

31 Bis NL2 or NL4 is hella more than enough chips trust me!!! and if it isnt then you may have some tilt issues maybe?
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iCallSick1

LMFAO I think any limits under NL25 personally only need 15 Bis, once you hit NL50 to NL200 A bankroll of 30-45 Bis is needed IMO.

31 Bis NL2 or NL4 is hella more than enough chips trust me!!! and if it isnt then you may have some tilt issues maybe?
      Not so sure, variance on MSS is kinda sick.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      Originally posted by iCallSick1

Not so sure, variance on MSS is horrifyingly sick.
      Yeah, 31 BI is do-able but it doesn't leave much room for mistakes. In fact it might be the best way for you to learn.

You know you can't afford a mistake - so you are less likely too.

Positive start Deadbillis, I know the profits are small but as you said - a win is a win and that is the most important thing.

:)

Gary
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      A nice hours play and I make a massive error too!

Usual setup, 3 table nl4 $1.60 on each.

had noticed guy on my left calling every hand, calling flop and the folding turn!!!

I'm on the button and get KJoff, play folds to me so I do a standard steal bet. SB calls as predicted, flop QQ9! SB checks, I C-Bet, SB calls, Turn is no help!
      Now this is where I went of book!
      New his play was Call, Call, Fold so I C-Bet again, HE PUSHES! I'm down to 40c and getting over 6to1! I call he shows Q9!!!

Live and Learn!

Reach my limit on another table ($2.10) with simple 3bets! Leave that table.

Double up on 3rd table with AK against A3off! Leave that table.

Then this happens..................................

Hero SB = TT

Folds to EP3 who raises to 8c!
      Folds to Hero= Raise to 32c,
      BB Calls!
      MP1 Calls!

Flop = 275 (Rainbow)

with 96c in pot my option (as I see it) is allin (checking gets me no where!)

Hero = Allin $1.31
      BB Calls!
      MP1 Folds.

Showdown

Hero = TT
      BB = QQ !!!!!

Turn K
      River T

Hero wins with trip Tens $3.35!

If BB had pushed pre I get out of the way and he takes down a semi decent pot rather than losing a massive pot on a river suckout!

Finish the session. Here's the stats:

5 nl4 tables played (3 max at a time)

103 hands

Win/Loss
      Table 1 -.24c
      Table 2 -$1.50
      Table 3 +$1.75
      Table 4 +.50c
      Table 5 + $1.54

Session Total Win/Loss +$2.05
      New Bankroll total $51.75 + $2.05 = $53.80 (+4%)

Total Bankroll increase 7.6%
      Summary
      I went off book for one hand and got burnt! Stick to the script stupid!
      Some times you will run into a bigger over pair that's just the way it goes. But........ If there's a raise and re-raise preflop Don't slow play pocket monsters!
    • Deadbillis
      Deadbillis
      Bronze
      Just got trial for HEM. Hopefully be able to put some better stats up soon.
      Just got to understand the app. first!