SnG/ MTT player trying NL2 ;)

• Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      so i just thought id try abit of 6 max NL2, just see how cash compared as i havnt played cash in a few months, have to admit people arent as out of line as i thought they would be with all the stories about it :P

One thing i am taken to heart what people have said, "you cant bluff a fish off top pair"

I often take a line in MTTs where they kinda have to fold top pair, but im taking peoples advice and just playing ABC poker, its working quite well, just playing a really TAG game and just value betting big. Dont think i can play as creatively as MTTs at NL2 though
  • 13 replies
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      What site you playing on? I've been playing NL2 on Party Poker and found that you can be quite aggressive in late position to good effect. A lot of folding and respect for the c-bet. But yeah, ABC is pretty much the way to go at the micro's.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      I'm playing on stars atm, but yeah people are giving me more respect than I remember at full tilt , how aggro do you usually get at NL2?
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      Raise 4xBB with all the usual, and play very tight from early to middle position. But in middle-late I raise a lot when its folded around to me, which is often on Party Poker. I'm often raising with any Ace, most Kings and connecters, and I raise almost all of the time from the button when its folded round. If i get a call I find the c-bet works enough of the time. I don't really 3bet pre without a legitimate hand mind.

As soon as I meet resistance though I tighten up considerably, and rarely take a bluff too far as I found in the past playing micro stakes I was getting looked up too often by marginal hands.

TAG is definately the way to play the low stakes, leaning towards the tighter end but I think a lot of it depends on the sites and how they play at these levels. I struggled immensely on PKR NL4 as it was full of calling stations - I didn't help myself either mind by getting tilted too easily :/
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      yeahhhh thats fair enough, and ive always found when im facing with calling stations its easier to play :P just value good hands and use pot control for marginal/ okay hands, maybe value abit thinner than normal on the river. Just a case of adapting to your opponent i guess. I guess as well yu can play like this without gettin explortied by most people at micros but obviously yu would never get this situtation at the higher stakes
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      Playing the passive calling stations is easy, its when they throw in a random jam that it starts getting frustrating. I#ve lost count of the amount of times I've lost buy-ins thinking along the lines of "the pot's 20c and he's just shoved in for $3, he must be bluffing!".

I'll post my VPIP/PFR stats for 2nl when I get home give you a clearer idea of how often I play in what position.
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      NL2 Stats:

VPIP - 16.7%
      PFR - 11.5%
      Open raise late pos - 37.2%

Open raise in CO - 29%
      Open raise on Button -48%

Tight as a nut in early pos, loose as a goose in late :)
    • minibiff
      minibiff
      Bronze
      Just valuetown the shit of out NL2
    • matel17
      matel17
      Bronze
      How about a blog Castle? :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I just want to inform you that we have moved your thread into the Sit and Go Tournaments: Beginner Discussion board, because that is where it belongs :)

Ingrid
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Hi guys,

I just want to inform you that we have moved your thread into the Sit and Go Tournaments: Beginner Discussion board, because that is where it belongs :)

Ingrid
      I would say that 'No Limit: Beginner Discussion' would be more proper place for OP to get better advices for cash play :)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ghaleon
      Hi guys,

Ingrid
      I would say that 'No Limit: Beginner Discussion' would be more proper place for OP to get better advices for cash play :)
      done :)
    • MarcPS
      MarcPS
      Originally posted by ghaleon
      Hi guys,

Ingrid
      I would agree ;)

Moved.

edit: lolsametimeaments.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matel17
      How about a blog Castle? :)

I would start one but not for cash, for MTTs/ SnGs for sure, ill start one if i get my roll back from FT as then i can actually have a decent shot, but i kinda just busted a $120 roll on stars sooo i wouldnt be posting much