felipezenteno

• felipezenteno
      felipezenteno
      Bronze
      Hey

Im felipezenteno, i have been some time playing poker in different skins without any success, so here i am, learning from the basics one for all..

Im going to begin with lesson number 1 now..
  • 9 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi there felipezenteno,

Welcome to our beginners course and wish you best of luck on your adventures :)

Looking forward to see your homework!

Ingrid
    • felipezenteno
      felipezenteno
      Bronze
      My Homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

R: 2 Main motivations, one of course to make money and the other is more personal: I perceive Poker as a mental game, where smart people make some money and smarter people makes a lot, i see miself as a smart person, so its hard for me find out that i cant beat even micro limits.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

R: being impatient, Tilt a lot, misreading opponents, thinking i have an edge again micro limit players, but main maaaaaaaain reason, i have a gambler mind (try trought poker to set my mind in teorical mathematical state).

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

R: Tight Aggresive is play very few hand (just the better starting hands) , but playing faster, try to put as much money on the pot, when you believe that you are in front to win.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest wait to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own wanting. Some may put it higher, some lower. And after the stop you can easily just spend some time with evaluating your play.

Impatience is actually a huge leak for every poker player. A lot of live poker players have such a leak and obviously as well in online poker. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you loose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Also even if you like to gamble then with posting hands and getting negative feedback you will very likely start to change your play. :)

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • felipezenteno
      felipezenteno
      Bronze
      Homework Nº 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than how it is in the BSS Starting Hands Chart, and why?

I am against treating JJ and TT as a middle-low pairs, more when you have people raising big percentaje of hands, if you put JJ against top 20% of hands you get 65% of equity, and TT 60%, thats why i usually re-raise with those hands not call20 like starting hands chart.

Question 2: Post a hand for evaluation where you have a question regarding your pre-flop play. ( Post your hand in the Handevaluation forums, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

TT against very tilt player preflop

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means: 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo? ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab)

equity win tie pots won pots tied
      Hand 0: 46.324% 37.92% 08.41% { AKo }
      Hand 1: 53.676% 45.27% 08.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you that TT/JJ are in some spots way too strong to just use them for Call20 rule. For that given reason we can sometimes even consider to 3bet with them and might even go broke against a maniac. Although obviously against rather unknown opponent rather take a passive line.

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • felipezenteno
      felipezenteno
      Bronze
      First, id like to apologyse to left back this course, but i have lots of problems and work to do, but finally will try to back on track, so...

HomeWork N°3

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop:

KsQs 50,78 %
      3c3d 49,22 %

Flop: Js 5d 3s

KsQs 26,465 %
      3c3d 73,535 %

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

First just mathematic approach, Calculate Pot Odds

$ 0.91 / $ 0.22 = 4,13

Flush draw give us a 4:1 odds, so its a slight call.

Second More thinking approach,
      tricky hand tought, BU calls could indicate low pocket pair, so villian in turn could hold three of a kind (thats could explain is min 3bet) imagine we put the villian on pocket pair 22 to 99 (according to his preflop, after that if he hit three of a kind its almost nut so he float, or just got 55 and just check with second pair)

Equity give us:

Board: 2c 6d 3d 5c

Ad Jd : 27,557 %
      99-22 : 72,443 %

So if we have some information about floating almost nuts in flop of the villian
      maybe just fold, if we dont have any information best Call.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

JQ call IP Preflop
    • felipezenteno
      felipezenteno
      Bronze
      try to keep up fast:

Homework 4:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

AA in Button

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)

Good fold in my opinion

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: Js 9c 8h

equity
      KsQd 41.414%
      7c7h 58.586%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

That's why this Course is good, you can leave whenever you need and you can always back whenever you want to. :)

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.