[NL2-NL10] KQ blowup..

• GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I'm trying to climb the ladder to high stakes. I've got a lot of NL10 ahead of me, but it's just a matter of time, right?

Anyway, here's a hand from my last session that I'm not proud of. I need:

a) chastisement
      b) advice on how to handle this spot (fold flop?!)

villain was relatively unknown, but was Laggy and 3-betting 15%, and had been a pest on my left. This was the first flop I'd seen him play ip.

My thinking on the flop was either I'm beat, or he's drawing, or stone cold bluffing. If I call, I will have trouble folding unless a diamond peels off. This is an aggressive player, so:

protection!?

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $13.59
      Hero (UTG): $11.38
      BTN: $15.70
      SB: $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:spade: Q:club:

Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) 4:diamond: T:diamond: K:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.60, BTN raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $11.08 and is all-in, BTN calls $9.08

Turn: ($22.91, 2 players) Q:heart:

River: ($22.91, 2 players) 5:heart:
  • 3 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      fold!

- you don't really know the opponent
      - you have only one pair, 2nd kicker
      - flop is terribad drawy and you don't really have any kind of redraw (like at least the Q) other than runner runner fullhouse, twopair and even trips are likely not going to be good here
      - if he's bluffing, he's not going to call your shove. so, if he's bluffing, you win $3something, if he's not, you're very very likely to lose $11. doesn't look like a very profitable situation to be in

i'd just fold it after his flop raise and wait for a better spot, and keep an eye on him of course
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      Yep, it all makes perfect sense. Thanks Tomaloc for the sound advice.

I'll take it as a lesson to slow down before making 3bet/broke decisions. With mistakes like this removed from my game, I'll be climbing limits much sooner!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello GrantJennings,

I'm trying to climb the ladder to high stakes. I've got a lot of NL10 ahead of me, but it's just a matter of time, right?

In poker it's everything just a matter of time. Why? Just because even any loosing play may turn into winning player with time. :) The more time you into poker invest the better you get. As it is with most of the things in life. If you want to become good then you also have to invest time into it. Gaming, sports, etc.

Well the problem on such a flop is that you are often not beating much. :) At the best it might be for us a flip. But more often in those kind of spots you are far behind. For example:

Board: 4:diamond: T:diamond: K:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    17.28%  13.78%   3.50% { KsQc }
      UTG+1  82.72%  79.21%   3.50% { TT, 44, AKs, KTs, AKo, KTo, AdJh, KhQd, KhJd }

Which might be even not the only range of course but just small sample for you to understand how bad you are in this case if we are rather against passive player.

Best regards.