[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH river raise

• dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      HoldemManager
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com
      villain 14/11/ 22%WTS/ 145hands river looks like crying fold to me, cant see him trying to raise me off a split too often being this tight, ok to fold this spot? or call down? i was going to check back turn for deception/bluff induce, but with two FDs and broadway draws i had to bet

Stacks:
      UTG ($14.03)
      UTG+1 ($10.52)
      CO ($12.51)
      BTN ($10)
      SB ($7.74)
      Hero (BB) ($10.15)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is BB A:heart: 9:club:
      3 folds, BTN calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: A:spade: 10:diamond: A:diamond: ($0.30, 3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, BTN calls $0.20, SB folds

Turn: K:spade: ($0.70, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.45, BTN calls $0.45

River: J:club: ($1.60, 2 players)
      Hero bets $1, BTN raises to $3, $2 to Hero ($8.4)?
  • 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Greetings,

If villain has even the vaguest idea of board texture and relative hand strength he is not going to be raising anything less than a Q for a straight. It's entirely possible he only raises boats.

One thing you don't see too often at this stake is players turning weaker showdown value into a bluff. They usually flat, or fold if they think they are beat. The only pure bluff villain can have in this river spot is a hand like 7:d8 (any diamonds below a T). The rest of his hands pretty much always have either a T,J,Q,K or A in them, otherwise he is not getting past the flop.

Given the fact that:
      1 - Villain will flat his weaker showdown rather than bluff
      2 - K, J, hit villain's range, he can easily have you beat
      3 - This is a bad board to bluff, you can easily have an Ace here which villain can't expect you to fold (And at 10nl I wouldn't be too worried about him knowing you know he knows that)

This is a pretty easy river fold.

You can always raise the A9o preflop btw, but it's fine to check if you think the guy is tight and you are only going to be isolating yourself vs a range you do badly against.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello dannywratten,

Well, the river I doubt really he is raising with a lot worse. It's a freeplay pot and therefore it should be pretty standard Bet/Fold for us. You don't beat much of his raising range, most likely a FH.

Best regards.