[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Sh Aa

• dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      HoldemManager
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com
      against unknown could this be a better spot to just call the turn c/r and let villain bet river?
      is he really only repping smaller sets/air here?
      i dont see that there was much sense in me raising him off his hand here, im either behind against broadway or way ahead

Stacks:
      Hero (UTG) ($10.30)
      UTG+1 ($35.63)
      CO ($9.85)
      BTN ($9.85)
      SB ($9.95)
      BB ($11.92)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is UTG A:heart: A:diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, SB calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: A:spade: J:diamond: Q:heart: ($0.70, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50

Turn: 4:club: ($1.70, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.15, SB raises to $2.30, Hero raises to $6.50, SB folds
  • 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Greetings,

There are both pros and cons to 3betting the turn here.

Villain is repping JJ, QQ as you say, but also 2 pair hands such as JQ and AQ, AJ ( although you block some combos of these). It's true villain may have an air range here, but I'd typically expect his value range to be huge compared to his air range i.e I'm surprised to see a check/raise-fold in this spot.

In terms of equity you obviously crush villains range. JQ, AJ, AQ are drawing dead, QQ, JJ, have one out. The hand with the most equity vs you is any gutshot with ~8% equity, so you really shouldn't be too concerned about protecting your hand. The reason a 3bet might be beneficial is - any Q, J, A, K, or T is potentially a scare card for villain's range (and T, K are scarecards for you ). If any of these card fall you may be damaging your chances of getting stacks in on the river.

The argument for flatting is - in terms of equity you have villain crushed, and it would suck if he were to hero-fold something like JQ, AJ, AQ. Folding JQ wouldn't even necessarily be bad, but if he rivers a J or Q you are guaranteed his stack. He also may value bet the river unimproved since you sacrificed the initiative.

Unless I know villain is bluffy my standard here is usually to jam the turn. I don't believe there is inherently a huge difference between the two lines unless you have some specific reads on villain, but flatting is most certainly an option.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello dannywratten,

Well, the thing is. :D If he has a hand then he is going to pay you on turn as well. Or if he has some kind of pair+draw/2pair type of hand. And if not then he ain't gonna pay you much either on river. :) Therefore I don't mind your play at all and just 3bet and get it in. Most likely just had a pure bluff. :)

Best regards.