[NL2-NL10] NL4 FR CO, 3 barreled IP with top pair

• JohanRember

I really enjoyed getting my previous hand analyzed, so thanks a lot for that Veriz! Hence I am coming back with another hand.

The opponent is a player that I have no reads on, and only 20 hands indicated that he is 20/14.

Considering that he is UTG maybe I should fold pre as KJs is not that strong? The reason I did not re-raise on the flop was due to the fact that he did represent strength raising UTG and that I'd only be called by better hands.

I'm putting him on JJ+ here, he wouldn't barrel three streets with AK or AJ when the 9 hits the river?

IPoker Network $4.00 No Limit Hold'em - 10 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG+1: $7.18
      UTG+2: $6.59
      MP1: $5.89
      MP2: $4.88
      Hero (MP3): $6.67
      CO: $0.84
      BTN: $1.00
      SB: $2.87
      BB: $1.58
      UTG: $5.20

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero is MP3 with J:club: K:club:
      UTG raises to $0.12, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.12, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.30) 9:spade: 6:diamond: J:spade: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.60) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.36, Hero calls $0.36

River: ($1.32) 9:heart: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.72, Hero folds

Final Pot: $1.32
      UTG wins $1.24
      (Rake: $0.08)
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello JohanRember,

Preflop: Well, preflop of course is kinda questionable. Depends what kind of range we putting the opponent on. While he is doing that from UTG then I doubt that he has a very loose range. Which might be even more likely to rather fold the hand. We might even easily get squeezed or whatsoever. But of course those hands are playable when we would know the opponent.

As played
      Flop: Obviously as we Called preflop we ain't gonna fold our TP against that kind of bet size.
      Turn: Although here it comes more questionable. His 2nd barreling range may mostly consist of made hands, which definitely will include even overpairs and obviously TP type of hand. Therefore comes the question what kind of hands we can win here? If we are putting him also on some even weaker PPs which might be TT and that's pretty much it, obviously 77/88/99 could be also possible but those made sets. Plus of course we could add some draw into his range. Therefore Calling for the given 1/2 pot size bet which even looks weak shouldn't be a problem.
      But now comes the question. What's your plan with the Call here? If he barrels the river again, can we even fold as we did put him on such a range? On any blank we might even have to Call the river also with our expectations. Might be just safer to give it up right here to avoid river plays.

As played
      River: Well, most likely we don't beat much. Doubt that he would even 3barrel with just pure air or missed draws. Although as we Called on turn then we could most likely put him on weaker PPs as well which might bring us even towards Calling. For that given reason I'd rather just lay it down on turn and let it be. Most likely did a good fold, doubt that we beat much against UTG range.

Best regards.