[NL2-NL10] 4nl, fr, KK

• DrDunne
      hello veriz! what do you think about this...

Known players:

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:heart: , K:diamond:
      UTG2 calls $0.04, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, UTG2 calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.46) J:heart: , 7:spade: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $0.36, UTG2 raises to $0.72, Hero raises to $3.82 (All-In), UTG2 calls $2.62 (All-In).

Turn: ($7.62) 7:club:
      River: ($7.62) Q:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $7.62

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows a full-house, jacks full of sevens (Js Jd)
      Hero shows two-pair, kings and sevens (Kh Kd)

UTG2 wins with a full-house, jacks full of sevens (Js Jd)

maybe i should have called and re-evaluated on the turn... bet/fold on the turn maybe...

i did feel like i was beaten - was there any way i could have gotten away from this hand? maybe i got married to the hand here but i really wasn't sure and thought he may do this with flush draw... i didn't actually expect him to call.

again, my thoughts in this situation are as follows... when i have TPTK i bet for value down to the river (obviously according to the texture of the board). if i'm raised on the flop with TPTK i can fold when i think i'm beaten. this situation is the same in a way because regardless of whether i have an overpair or TPTK he will still play a set the same.

therefore, even if i hold AA in this situation, should i prefer a fold here (if his bet size was a little bigger) or call and re-evaluate on the turn instead of going broke on the flop? i have been raised like this on the flop time and again now and i'm seeing sets and 2pair in these spots much more than FDs... do you think this is correct?
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello DrDunne,

Well, as you see the guy has W$SD 63% which is just way too huge. Plus of course his is very passive player. Which tells me the whole story. I'd rather Bet/Fold it rather than go broke. At the best I might Bet/Call it but even Bet/Calling just doesn't make much of sense since he will be barreling the turn anyways.

Best regards.