gfm1975

• gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      Hi fellow nerds :D , never thought id be back in school but i think im gonna enjoy this term. Looking forward to try improve my game as im very up and down at moment
  • 9 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hiya gfm1975 :)

Hah, I think this school will be a bit different! One with a cool course, and fun teachers ;)

Anyway, good luck on it and enjoy it, you'll learn a lot here to help improve your game!

Best regards,

Jim
    • gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      Question 1 I guess at the start it was just for fun but since joining this site i realise i know very little about the game. I thought by knowing odds and outs was a lot lol, but its really only scratching the surface so my real motivation is to try improve at a game that can never be mastered. Im out of work at the moment so im prepared to spend a lot of my spare time reading, playing, watching videos and of course going back to school

Question 2 I need to improve my disipline, and at the limits i play at the moment NL2, NL4/5 i need to keep it simple. I also need to work on reading my opponents hands/ranges etc and become a little quicker with the math

Question 3 To me it means being selective with your hands pre flop but when your in a hand playing it strong
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Discipline is of course a very important thing to follow. I mean you still must have confidence in your play and at the same time stay disciplined.

Confidence is a question of experience. The more hands you have analyzed the more hands you have played the more confident you will get in your play. So don't worry about that so much but rather concentrate on your learning part and don't forget analyzing your game which is the most important aspect for beginners. Obviously not only for beginners but for high level players as well, you will never stop learning in poker.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed with you posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Some more points earned.
    • gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      Thanks veriz, whats the next step, is there live classes due to start any time soon. Or maybe more homework
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by gfm1975
      Thanks veriz, whats the next step, is there live classes due to start any time soon. Or maybe more homework
      Well, every step is written in here:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1992/1/

You just have to follow it. :) You likely have done the 1st week.
    • gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? I think a lot depends on how the ta ble is playing i.e loose, tight. If i had seen that the players are tight and there was little 3 betting and the blinds were not defending i would prob loosen up in the latter positions until i started to meet some resistance where i would re-evaluate after hopefully seeing some showdowns

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. My laptop is not really working at the moment so i cant access hand histories at the moment as im on a friends i but i will post as soon as possible( promise this is not an excuse, a la the dog ate my homework sir which i must admit to using once or twice in my school days, go on admit it im sure you did to :D )

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. With equalitor i get 46.33%, when working out my self with pen and paper, caveman style i get 48.5% which is pretty close but took me bout 5 minutes to do
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Don't worry about the hands, hopefully you will get your laptop fixed soon enough. :)

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      yea school is good veriz really enjoying it, on to lesson 3 now.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by gfm1975
      yea school is good veriz really enjoying it, on to lesson 3 now.
      Cool gonna be waiting for it. :) Thanks for the feedback.