don't call it a comeback - uNL->mid now at 50NL

• luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      Hello pokerstrategy community,
      I'm 25year old from germany and I'm a mechanical engineering student.
      Genereally I don't wanna write much about my personal life here and I hope thats fine.

This blog will be kinda my diary as I'm trying to rebuild my roll. I'm playing Poker now since ~3years but wasn't a huge winner until this year. I moved up to 400NL at the beginning of this year and played 200 and 400 Rushpoker on FTP and a little bit on smaller sites. I was very happy with my results and put in alot of work into poker, I love the game and I love the challenge.
      Then my life became pretty fucked up when I nearly lost my whole roll due to FTP problems. I had roughly 30k on FTP at that time. This was not only a finanical deasaster for me but also a big psychological. I was depressed and couldn't live a normal life anymore. Thankfully I recived alot of support from my family. Now I moved into a new apartment and I wanna try a fresh start. I will start at the bottom, NL2. Thats maybe a little bit too low but I also wanna proof to myself that I can repeat what I've done in the past. I guess moving up from 2 to 10 in ~3weeks is realistic. I'm also working alot on the psychological part of the game which is my biggest weakness. I decided to write this blog in english so I can practise my writte english also,so feel free to correct me if you like :)

So you can read here about my progess and also how I try to improve my poker mindset(psyche).

Here are my goals(maybe some of you will be familiary with them, I got most of it from a videoseries I enjoyed alot and it helped me get the motivation to start playing poker again. credits go to saibot)

:spade: stop tilting (constantly be aware of my tilt triggers)
      tilt triggers are
      -cursing
      -breath more rapidly
      -insta decisions(autopiloting)
      -refresh my HEM results every 2min

:spade: play each street in every hand as optimal as possible
      :spade: beginn to think ahead of every decision possible
      :spade: good bankroll managment (25bi up to 10 then 30bi)
      :spade: discuss hands in this forum and find people i can network with
      :spade: alsways develop and work on my game
      :spade: only play when I'm feeling well
      :spade: focus on my descions rather then my results
      :spade: play to improve, not to win money

And here is why I want to achive that goals.

:spade: I want to have a job where my competetive nature and intellect is getting challanged each day. I will be able to live a very spontanious lifestyle and only use time on what I'm passionat about. I want to have a job where my competitive nature is getting challanged each day. I want a feeling of economic security and independence.

What if I don't achive my goals?
      :spade: My personal freedom will be decreased and I will be forced to cut down alot of privilleges (e.g. sell car, find smaller apartment).
      Be dissappointed with myself and become more negative.
      Have less time to work and study things that I really enjoy and am passionate about.

If you got any questions feel free to ask
      Hope you guys will support me :)
  • 83 replies
    • luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      Some stats from my play so far.I began playing 4 days ago. First I played 24 tables stacked(first 5k hands) but realized that it doesnt suite my playstyle at all. Now I'm playing 9 tables

• luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      Some interesting hands from todays session

Hand #1

Stacks:
      UTG shev65s ($1.73)
      CO Hero ($10.18)
      BTN PaleTokio ($5)
      SB jurkah ($4.96)
      BB G@m@yun ($0.99)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 5 players) Hero is CO J:heart: 10:club:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, PaleTokio raises to $0.28, 1 fold, G@m@yun calls $0.26, Hero calls $0.22

Flop: 10:heart: 8:spade: J:diamond: ($0.85, 3 players)
      G@m@yun checks, Hero checks, PaleTokio bets $0.50, G@m@yun calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2, PaleTokio calls $1.50, G@m@yun goes all-in $0.21

Turn: 4:spade: ($5.56, 3 players, 1 all-in)
      Hero bets $3.44, PaleTokio goes all-in $2.72

River: A:spade: ($11.72, 3 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $11.72

//comment

I call the 3b OOP w JTo because we are 250bb deep and I def. have an edge postflop.Its bad that theres an fish overcalling so I loose some fold equity postflop when I tend to see weakness from the original 3bettor but I'm also sure he will stack off if I flop a monster. After the flop the hand kinda plays itself

Hand #2

$0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem
      4 Players

Stacks:
      CO Phoenix09956 ($2)
      BTN 4Beluga ($6.65)
      SB Hero ($11.24)
      BB el.suertero ($2)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 4 players) Hero is SB K:club: K:heart:
      1 fold, 4Beluga calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 1 fold, 4Beluga calls $0.08

Flop: 4:spade: 6:diamond: 2:spade: ($0.22, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.17, 4Beluga calls $0.17

Turn: 9:diamond: ($0.56, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.43, 4Beluga calls $0.43

River: Q:spade: ($1.42, 2 players)
      Hero bets $1.09, 4Beluga raises to $2.18, Hero folds

Final Pot: $4.69

4Beluga wins $4.52 (net +$1.64)

Hero lost $1.79

//comment

Villain is a 44/11 fish playing mostly very passive, but has an river AF of 5.0 which stands out alot from his other AF stats. So flop n turn I bet big for value, I think I could even bet something like .50 on the turn. The desicion is on the river tho, I somehow don't like check calling because I think he could check back alot of his weak pairs and I'd miss alot of value, on the other side he could bluff some of his straight draws. I decided to bet big for value but get INSTA minraised. I already thought about that when I made the bet and decided that I have to give him credit when he raises the river. I doubt he will pull off a bluff in that spot, he either has a slowplayed 2pair or just riverd a flush...still I had a hard time folding when I looked at his river AF,which as mentioned was 5,but he can have way too much value hands there i think. His bluffs would have exclusively be missed straight draws.
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Nice going ! Im going to follow this because im doing the same thing, working up from 2NL.
    • luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      Originally posted by YabYayo
      Nice going ! Im going to follow this because im doing the same thing, working up from 2NL.
      nice, will follow yours too.
      i've read you are trying to play 24 tables. I don't know if thats a good idea.
      I tried it out for myself,and i'm an experienced multitabler, and you just cannot exploit your opponents leaks and really think about situations. IMO you should stick to 9-12 tables and think about every hand and not just play on autopilot to get the volume in. gl moving up
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Luzzy,

Your OP got my heart squeezed :(

I wish you all the best and I'm sure you'll be crushing every limit faster than you think. I can't imagine how it must feel to take a deep jump from nl400 to nl2 but you've done it once and its just a matter of time that You'll do it again!

Keep us posted here and looking forward to some action :s_cool:

Ingrid
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi there,

If youwere crushing 200/400nl rush and had such a big bankroll, why dont you get bankrolled (staked) for similar games on another site?
    • luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hi there,

If youwere crushing 200/400nl rush and had such a big bankroll, why dont you get bankrolled (staked) for similar games on another site?
      imo staking deals are mostly bad for the stakee, % wise its a big favor for the staker, I would "sell" myself for too low of a price. I still got some money in the bank but i want to safe that for regular living expanses. This NL2 thing is also kind of a challenge for myself. As said I was going trough kind of a depression and now i just want to get back on track and enjoy the game
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      yeh but getting staked for 400nl where you can win say 3k per month relatively easily and havignto give away $1500 before rakeback is better than winning $100at nl2 right? And even if you do it short-term you get a bankroll back really quickly. If you have friends who believe in you too you can get a pretty nice deal. 70/30 + 60/40 rb.

Just my opinion of course.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      This sounds like it'll end out being an epic saga of crushing victory, totally subscribing!
    • luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      yeh but getting staked for 400nl where you can win say 3k per month relatively easily and havignto give away $1500 before rakeback is better than winning $100at nl2 right? And even if you do it short-term you get a bankroll back really quickly. If you have friends who believe in you too you can get a pretty nice deal. 70/30 + 60/40 rb.

Just my opinion of course.
      i thought about that a long time, i had an option for an 70 30 staking without rb tho and somehow it didn't felt good. I don't have many friends in the poker community. I think as long I can live at a decent standard of living I prefer grinding my ass off and know all the work I put in is for myself and not for somebody who just profits from me.As said its also somehow challenging. It would be a totaly different scenerio if I was completely broke and had no money to eat, then i probably would even play w a 80 20 deal =)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      You could get a staking deal which involves coaching so that you aren't "grinding your ass off and know all the work you put in is for yourself and somebody is just profiting from you".

Again it's your decision so won't say anything else but thought I would give my $0.02.
    • luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      So far so good. Played 2 sessions today (3k hands) and it looks like I'll move up to 5NL tomorrow. I thought a little bit more about my BRM with initialy was 25bi for micros but I think I will decrease that to 20. The micro games are just extremly soft. Also I wil post some interesting hands tomorrow where I made some huge mistakes with big hands against "competent" players.
    • luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      You could get a staking deal which involves coaching so that you aren't "grinding your ass off and know all the work you put in is for yourself and somebody is just profiting from you".

Again it's your decision so won't say anything else but thought I would give my $0.02.
      Something like that would be great, but it's not so easy like you say. You have to know some trustworthy people and you have to be trustworthy to them as well. I looked around in the staking section of the german community but all staking offers are mainly for MTTs.
    • luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      here are the hand from my session yesterday, some are good, some are bad :) hopefully we can get some good discussion out of this. I'd also like to know if you like to post me results of the hand or to leave them out. I personaly prefere hand without results, let me know whats better.

Hand #1

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($6.36)
      BB ($2.82)
      CO ($5.84)
      BTN ($3.65)

Dealt to Hero K:diamond: J:club:

fold, BTN raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, BTN calls $0.14

FLOP ($0.42) K:spade: 2:spade: 3:heart:

Hero bets $0.14, BTN raises to $0.65, Hero calls $0.51

TURN ($1.72) K:spade: 2:spade: 3:heart: 3:club:

Hero checks, BTN bets $2.80 (AI), Hero calls $2.80

RIVER ($7.32) K:spade: 2:spade: 3:heart: 3:club: 4:heart:

BTN shows 6:club: 5:club:
      (Pre 40%, Flop 18.7%, Turn 9.1%)

Hero shows K:diamond: J:club:
      (Pre 60%, Flop 81.3%, Turn 90.9%)

BTN wins $6.96

//comments

I 3bet KJo for straight value, villain is opening 40% of buttons and did not folded to a single 3bet. You can go wide for value here. On the flop I made a very weak looking cbet to induce some kind of spazz which worked out really well. I'd still just flat the turn and river if he would have bet a normal size. The hands with which he would go for value here are very narrowed, imo exclusively sets and maybe AK(which he probably would 4bet pre), with KQ I think he would just call down. After we made a tiny bet it's just an easy call down, but be aware that this is a very opponent specific play, I would not made that play against a very tight of very passive player. In this case villains flop AF was 4.0 and his overall image was aggresive, he tried to be the table bully.

Hand #2

SB ($4.36)
      BB ($1.24)
      UTG ($0.60)
      Hero ($5.11)
      CO ($2.81)
      BTN ($5.97)

Dealt to Hero 9:heart: A:heart:

fold, Hero raises to $0.06, fold, fold, SB calls $0.05, fold

FLOP ($0.14) 2:spade: Q:heart: 8:heart:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.10, SB calls $0.10

TURN ($0.34) 2:spade: Q:heart: 8:heart: 9:spade:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.22, SB calls $0.22

RIVER ($0.78) 2:spade: Q:heart: 8:heart: 9:spade: Q:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.39, SB calls $0.39

SB shows 7:spade: 7:club:
      (Pre 54%, Flop 44.0%, Turn 2.3%)

Hero shows 9:heart: A:heart:
      (Pre 46%, Flop 56.0%, Turn 97.7%)

Hero wins $1.49

//comments

In this hand I think a flop cbet is standard as we have alot of equity, on the other hand its a flop where I don't expect to get alot of folds also...its kinda a "double-edged sword". Still we only need just a littble bit fold equity as we have alot of pot equity. I know this may seems standard to lot of you guys but I just wanted to explain it for beginners(I hope I did it well).
      Lets move on to the turn. We pickup a pair+fd but the board fits now alot more into villains perceived range. Now it comes into play if we think that villain can still call us with a worse hand, our fold equity goes down alot.
      It's to note that this is the same villain as in Hand #1, so we have some history with him. His WTSD is 56 which is pretty high. Also against other villains I may check the river behind, highly dependent on the gameflow and history, if they view me as very aggresive and know I'm capable of 3 barreling and SAW me 3barreling then the river is a mandatory bet. I'd probably also check the river back on any other card then a queen or bet very very small, like 10-20cent . But when the queen hits is much more unlikely that villain holds a Q. We can assume that villain then holds a pretty weak hand. I think on the river we could go either with a half pot bet or a full pot bet. I decided to bet half pot as I think this bet will be called like 80% of the time and a fullpotsize bet probably only 30%, I don't know the exact math on this one..its just out of experience.

Hand #3

SB ($5.66)
      BB ($2.07)
      UTG ($1.70)
      UTG+1 ($3.51)
      CO ($4.72)
      Hero ($6.17)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: A:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, fold

FLOP ($0.14) 9:spade: 7:heart: K:diamond:

SB bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.24, SB raises to $0.86, Hero raises to $1.94, SB calls $1.08

TURN ($4.02) 9:spade: 7:heart: K:diamond: 8:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $4.17 (AI), SB calls $3.66 (AI)

RIVER ($11.34) 9:spade: 7:heart: K:diamond: 8:diamond: K:heart:

Hero shows A:heart: A:diamond:
      (Pre 80%, Flop 9.2%, Turn 4.5%)

SB shows 7:club: 7:diamond:
      (Pre 20%, Flop 90.8%, Turn 95.5%)

SB wins $10.79

//comments

This hand I played rather poorly, stacking off 250bb with one pair and very poor equity.

Villian was playing 20/13 with a overall AF of 1.5, we can assume he is TAGish but more passive then aggresive. I was playing very aggresive on this table and I think he recognized that. I really don't know a optimal line in such a scenario. Probably the best play is to raise the flop and then either fold to the flop 3bet or flat and fold the turn if he follows trough. We can assume that he would not bluff us on the turn or overplay a hand like KQ or AK(which is unlikely combowise as we hold AA).

Hand #4

SB ($4.80)
      Hero ($5.71)
      UTG ($2.07)
      CO ($1.91)
      BTN ($4.41)

Dealt to Hero 4:club: T:heart:

fold, CO calls $0.02, fold, fold, Hero checks

FLOP ($0.05) 2:heart: 6:spade: T:diamond:

Hero bets $0.04, CO raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.04

TURN ($0.21) 2:heart: 6:spade: T:diamond: 5:heart:

Hero checks, CO bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14

RIVER ($0.49) 2:heart: 6:spade: T:diamond: 5:heart: 4:diamond:

Hero checks, CO checks

CO shows 6:diamond: 7:heart:
      (Pre 45%, Flop 20.0%, Turn 11.4%)

Hero shows 4:club: T:heart:
      (Pre 55%, Flop 80.0%, Turn 88.6%)

Hero wins $0.47

//comments

Villain is playing 37/11 with a overall AF of 3.4(which is pretty high) also he has an outstanding AF of 5.0 on the turn.
      We get a freeplay in the BB and bet the flop for value/protection with out weak toppair. Villain minraises, I don't know how you see it but I think I would never fold to a minraise of such a player in this spot with my toppair. My standard would be to call flop n turn and give up the river as microstakes players probably don't 3barrel bluff alot (if at all). On the river I made 2pair and I think thats where I missplayed the hand, I should probably put in a small valuebet. On the other hand villain can have total air and we might be better off hoping he will bluff, but as said microstakes players don't 3barrel much.

Hand #5

SB ($0.90)
      BB ($2.92)
      UTG ($2.27)
      UTG+1 ($2.33)
      Hero ($5)
      BTN ($3.50)

Dealt to Hero K:club: K:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, fold, fold, BB calls $0.06, fold

FLOP ($0.19) 8:diamond: 7:club: 3:heart:

BB bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.25, BB calls $0.21

TURN ($0.69) 8:diamond: 7:club: 3:heart: Q:heart:

BB checks, Hero bets $0.53, BB calls $0.53

RIVER ($1.75) 8:diamond: 7:club: 3:heart: Q:heart: 9:club:

BB bets $0.42, Hero raises to $4.14 (AI), BB calls $1.64 (AI)

BB shows 5:heart: 6:spade:
      (Pre 18%, Flop 34.2%, Turn 18.2%)

Hero shows K:club: K:spade:
      (Pre 82%, Flop 65.8%, Turn 81.8%)

BB wins $5.59

//comments

Villain is a mega fish playing 76/24 with an overall AF of 1.5

I think all streets until the river are standard, we could bet a little bit more on the turn maybe something more in the 0.60 area for easy value. Now the river hits a 9 kinda fitting in his perceived range. Still I thought that he's bad enough to call a shove with some one pair type hand but I think in general we should just call the river (or fold?!) as the 9 fits too much in his range also he could take this line with a set, it's difficult so assign him a real range because of his play style.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Enjoying your blog v much.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I like Hand #3 and #4
    • luzzy
      luzzy
      Global
      Originally posted by IngridN
      I like Hand #3 and #4
      please explain
      especially the AA hand
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      im subscribing to this!!

Im NL4 trying to move up, proving difficult at the moment, so i hope to learn something from reading a blog from someone who has progressed to where i wanna be but is playing my limits at the moment!

GL man! :s_biggrin:
    • YabYayo
      YabYayo
      Bronze
      Im following this too, im doing the same. I like your music ;) And that trance radio that was replied to you.
      Goodluck!