[NL2-NL10] nl2 - QQ fold on flop

• Philfox1985
      Villian had been very tight, raising 6% of hands and 3 betting even smaller percentage of the time.

Unorthodox with QQ, but I really only called the flop to set mine.

Play ok, or perahaps a touch weak?

Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q:heart: , Q:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.07, CO raises to $0.24, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.17.

Flop: ($0.51) T:heart: , 7:spade: , 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.51, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.51
  • 4 replies
    • foolboydesire
      you don't have position, so calling his 3bet preflop is bad move, 4bet or fold. QQ is a hand way too strong for set mining, you want to play it aggressively and have iniciative on flop
      and against a nit like this, it would be no shame in playing 4bet/fold preflop :)
    • Philfox1985
      If we 4 bet we are committing too much money to the pot to then fold with a hand with as much equity as QQ.

The dead money will mean that we only need about 33% equity to profitably call a shove. Unless we can be 100% sure his range is only KK & AA its going to be profitable to call.
    • veriz
      Hello Philfox1985,

Well, we can't be sure of the implied odds for set mining will be very good. Obviously they are like 12:1 which might be pretty close. But I'd really be rather inclined to fold to avoid postflop mistakes.

But of course we can't 4bet here ever vs that kind of nit. Only chance to play it postflop.

Best regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Only real argument you can make is that if we put his range as JJ, KK, AA (biased largely to KK & AA) he is unlikely to be folding his hand at any point.

If we hit the set of queens, we can expect to get his stack nearly every time. Based on that we could argue we need more like 10/1 odds to call, but its a close one I agree.