craigjo

• craigjo
      craigjo
      Bronze
      craigjo

I think it may be a bit late to start this course but better late than never.

iv been playing NL holdem for about 4 years with drastic ups and downs. iv almost stabalised a bit over this year playing s&g.. Im finding with the cash tables i profit in the first hour or so an eventualy loosing it, all a vicous circle.
      i have read alot of the articles in the silver status but not all and need to review what iv got printed.

so here goes
  • 3 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hi craigjo,

Nope, you're not too late! The beginner's course is running indefinitely for now; so get settled in, then get on with some homework :)

This course will certainly help you improve, and hopefully help you to fix those leaks where you end up losing money over time.

Best of luck my friend, and enjoy the course.

Jim
    • craigjo
      craigjo
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My first motivation without beating around the bush is money. I would like to have enough to buy in to the WSOP one day( even have a picture of the 2007 main event braclet to keep my eye on the prize). Another thing that motivates me is the skill involved, like a chess game requires stratagy, and an experianced player should outplay an ameture.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I have alot, most i dont know but im damm sure im gonna learn to find them and plug them. I often think im being bluffed when i have marginnal hands and over value strong starting hands on the flop, iv also played hours after hours when im tired. another is bank roll management, with variance it takes so long to win a few buy inns, it makes sense why this is very important but when i loose 3/6 buy ins i chace the money iv lost instead of grinding it back

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive

To play tight aggressive i think means to play optimum hands in possision with aggression.

PS. its been along time since i made this thread, once again i did it my way playing out of my bankroll and lost. Iv come back an my first goal is 1000 hands according to SHC and post hands reg
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Bankroll-management is a common leak for a lot of players. They just don't see how important it's actually to follow the BRM. Without following it you could say that you are just gambling with your money. For that reason we really need to find a way how we going to follow strictly to the BRM and never try to play besides it. It will be hard to make you a good poker player if you don't follow BRM. Try to find a way, just force yourself to follow the rule even if it's hard at the beginning.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.