UTG ($10.15)
      UTG+1 ($13.73)
      CO ($17.54)
      BTN ($5)

Dealt to Hero T:spade: T:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, fold

Hero shows T:spade: T:diamond:

Hero wins $0.50

THis is my default reaction to steals with almost all pps.
      Maybe I should polarise a bit ?
      to 3bet 22-66 call with 77-JJ and raise for value with QQ+,ATs+,AJ+?
      In general I would like to know whats the most optimal startegy in situations like this with strong hands?
  • 2 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      hey sinn,

The answer to your question is player-dependant. Ft3bet stat is very useful in working out which ranges you should 3bet or flat with.

In this situation IF BU has a high ATS (attempt to steal) stat and a low fold-to-3bet stat re-raising is optimal here. i.e BU opens a wide range and then continues with a lot of this range to a 3bet, so you might aswell 3bet immediately for value. Against this type of player you want to depolarize your preflop 3bets.....just take the top certain percent of your range and 3bet it for value. Don't worry about 3bet bluffing, the guy isn't folding enough to make it profitable. You can widen your preflop value range if you know the guy will also fold a ton of flops to a cbet.

However.....IF BU has a high ATS but also a high Ft3bet, this is where you want to start polarizing your 3bet range. What is the point of 3betting TT if the guy is only going to continue with QQ+? You might aswell be tossing your TT in the muck. So flat and see a flop with a hand like TT but then start bluff 3betting a lot with hands that aren't strong enough to flat but still have potential. You also want to weight your range heavily towards bluffs. In fact, if you know villain won't adjust you can literally only have bluffs in your 3bet range and then flat all strong hands you want to see a flop with, including AA,KK,AK etc.

As for 3betting low pp's....I know players do it, but I don't advise it. Usually you will have enough implied odds to set-mine, and when you do 3bet and get called it is going to be very difficult to find +ev barrelling opportunities with a hand like 2:d2. Your bluff range should include hands like A:h4, 5:s7, 4:d5. It's true that people turn hands like Q:cT, and K:c9 into bluffs but you have to be very careful about being dominated by villain's call-3bet range since it can easily include hands like K:sQ or A:dQ

gl
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Sinnology,

Well, I still don't like the 3bet at all! You are practically forcing them to Call with any2 against you. When I play myself HU, I even never do such a min-raise. :D More rather big raise for them not to Call light against us. Therefore I'd make just a proper 3bet, against a min-raise I'd do it even 4x his raise.

Best regards.